Texas Hunting Forum

Red or green for rifle mounted light?

Posted By: firemed13

Red or green for rifle mounted light? - 10/23/15 07:40 PM

Looking at getting either a coyote light or wicked lights for hog hunting from fixed stands with feeders out to around 100 yards or less. Just not sure which color for led either red or green. Any opinions and help would be great.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Red or green for rifle mounted light? - 10/24/15 12:11 AM

You'll get a lot of different opinions I am sure, but my preference is Red.

Many folks opt for green...since it appears brighter, but I believe you lose 'detail' with it.

To 'me' all objects look sharper when illuminated in Red. Also if you encounter rainy or foggy conditions (not good for any light), Red seems to reflect/washout less.
Posted By: texasbowhunter321

Re: Red or green for rifle mounted light? - 10/24/15 01:44 PM

The biggest problem is they are ALL made in China with varying degree of quality. I purchased a set from one of the wicked light's bigest competetor (who are located in Austin and claim to be the original/best quality). They sent me junk that burned out within seconds of powering it on.

What I don't realize after reading the sale pitch about quality, best, etc, is they don't stand behind thier product. You have to click on the FAQ to see the "small print" which limits the warranty to 14 days and you pay the return shipping (even if it's broken out of the box) - The wife never let me hear the end of that one.

To make matters worse, I found the same flashlight, which the other guy charged me $124 for $23 at lightmalls.com:

http://www.lightmalls.com/uniquefire-hs-...battery-charger

But before you run off and buy the cheaper version keep in mind it's ALL made in china.... I recomend you find a retailer who sales the product you want and will stand behind it (like Cabela's).

Now, as far as green vs red, I tried them all (dedicated CREE LED flash lights) and hate them all. My eyes are getting too old. The pure green and red LED lights lack the light spectrum to provide details for my old eyes.

For my daughter's youth hog hunt in July (Yeah it was toooo hot), we had four different types of high output LED lights, and we found that it was very difficult to see any detail at 100 yards at 1AM! The raccoon that showed up detected both red and green, but it was too late for him...he won't be stealing corn any more corn.

In the end I pulled out the backup flashlight (Standley 10000 lumen white LED) and attached it's RED filter, which provided a more balanced light spectrum that my old eyes liked, and it worked the best......Just ask the hog who didn't see anything before his dirt nap at 3AM!.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?398664-Stanley-1000-lumen-rechargable-flashlight

I'm done with the poor quality, chinese junk, red/green LED flashlights, and in the future I'm planning to switch completely over to Streamlight with their red/green light filter.
Posted By: 4dog

Re: Red or green for rifle mounted light? - 10/24/15 02:15 PM

Im a green light guy....i can see waaay out there with em..and i buy cheap...if i can see clear to at least 100yrds im happy...wouldnt turn down an expensive light though if anyone offers to give one up....lol
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Red or green for rifle mounted light? - 10/24/15 02:48 PM

I bought 3 of the red ones from Lightmalls, at 20-something bucks each, along with attachment clamps, battery and charger. They work fine and I am happy with them. With fresh batteries, they are good out past 100 yards, and at least to 135 yards (a feeder of mine). Coons, skunks, and armadillos don't seem bothered by the red light. The few hogs I used it on we're looking the other way, so I can't comment on how well they saw it.

If you are going to buy the light, order it from Lightmalls online. Took about 2 weeks to get it, but I liked the low price, so didn't mind the wait. Get a couple extra batteries.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Red or green for rifle mounted light? - 10/24/15 03:19 PM

Green seems to work best for me on hogs but only out to about 100yds. Guess my eyes aren't as sharp as they once were.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Red or green for rifle mounted light? - 10/24/15 03:20 PM

Look for one that has the adjustable beam, I have seen them don't remember name and I think they were green. Seen at Bass Pro, attach on scope with pressure switch.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Red or green for rifle mounted light? - 10/24/15 03:22 PM

I use a red dot so I bought green.
Posted By: altez

Re: Red or green for rifle mounted light? - 10/24/15 09:18 PM

Green is brighter but I've had more hogs spoke with green than red. Look up sniper hog lights, they are pretty good quality. Some of his parts is made in China but not all of it.
Posted By: Rwbrew3

Re: Red or green for rifle mounted light? - 10/24/15 09:46 PM

Guys, give Xtreme Predator Products a call --

www.xtremepredatorproducts.com

Mo is a great guy who stands behind his product with no questions asked !!

As far as red/green

Red - 20-75yards
Green 75-200yards

Your scope will determine how well you see with either ( just my opinion )
Posted By: TexasOutdoorsman

Re: Red or green for rifle mounted light? - 10/25/15 01:16 AM

Check Out Sniper Hawg Lights

I prefer red for pigs and varmints!!

Made in Texas Good Quality stuff! cowboy

http://www.sniperhawglights.com/
Posted By: fill

Re: Red or green for rifle mounted light? - 10/25/15 04:22 PM

I run the headlamp/rifle mount spot light kit from www.nighteyeslights.com and couldn't be happier.
Posted By: Hogflyer

Re: Red or green for rifle mounted light? - 10/30/15 07:29 PM

Just remember in this world, you get what you pay for! cabelas has some nice ones, but i spent
the money last year and got a Surefire, yep a few bucks, but its been dropped and kicked blood on,
in the rain, and yet still works!

Better yet, just dont tell your wife or better half your spending her money!

hunt on..... sw.
Posted By: Hogflyer

Re: Red or green for rifle mounted light? - 10/30/15 07:30 PM

Just remember in this world, you get what you pay for! cabelas has some nice ones, but i spent
the money last year and got a Surefire, yep a few bucks, but its been dropped and kicked blood on,
in the rain, and yet still works!

Better yet, just dont tell your wife or better half your spending her money!

hunt on..... sw.
Posted By: texasbowhunter321

Re: Red or green for rifle mounted light? - 11/02/15 03:19 AM

amen
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum