Texas Hunting Forum

Does this happen to anyone else?

Posted By: flintknapper

Does this happen to anyone else? - 10/19/15 03:32 AM

I take my Varmint gun, the Hogs show up. I take my Hog gun, the Varmints show up!

I never take my camera when I go hog hunting, because I don’t care if I have good pictures of those horrid pests, to share. But I always take my camera when I go Varmint hunting....because my cell phone can’t capture the true beauty of Fox, Coyote or Bobcat hides.

I went Hog hunting this evening, hogs were a ‘no-show’, but this Bob Kitty came strolling though.

.17 HMR would have been perfect, but I had the SOCOM with me, so a 405 gr. soft point was all I could deliver.

Too much gun and crappy cell phone pics! I’m going to bed…………………

Flint
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Does this happen to anyone else? - 10/19/15 03:36 AM

Oh, to have your problems.

Re: Does this happen to anyone else? - 10/19/15 03:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Oh, to have your problems.

Well......I had to walk almost 400 yards out my back door too. But I didn't want to say that earlier...lest it sound as if I were whining. wink
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Does this happen to anyone else? - 10/19/15 10:50 AM

Well, at least you had "enough gun" for the situation....hope your feet didn't hurt too much after that trek!

Nice kitty too!
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: Does this happen to anyone else? - 10/19/15 03:03 PM

Sounds like pure misery... frown
Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: Does this happen to anyone else? - 10/19/15 03:56 PM

Yep ,,,
Like sd card not pushed in recorder ,all the way, on a perfect triple shot ,,,,
Or thermal recorder wire not pushed in all the way with a big boar coming at you and your hunter at full speed He is shooting the whole way boar runs right past you ,,,,and you thought you got it all on video
List goes on

You made best of that deal ,,,good shot congrats on kitty
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Does this happen to anyone else? - 10/19/15 05:03 PM

Oh Yeah . . .

Several times my buddy (who owns the land where I hunt) and I have gone out in the middle of the afternoon to check on fences, gates, cattle, whatever — without a rifle — and encountered hogs we didn't expect. We now have a policy that we never ever go anywhere on the property without at least one rifle. It may be just an AR-15, but as they say, we don't leave home without it!
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Does this happen to anyone else? - 10/19/15 05:09 PM

meat them in the middle with a 243, 260, 270
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Does this happen to anyone else? - 10/19/15 05:09 PM

Nice bobby though cheers
Posted By: Aggieman775

Re: Does this happen to anyone else? - 10/19/15 05:45 PM

A good bit of the time I take a .22 mag for both
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Does this happen to anyone else? - 10/19/15 06:36 PM

coolpics checked my cam's yesterday... Several pics with button buck right in front of cam, next pic, minute.. Something under oak tree, by corn feeder... Checked other cam.. its a bobcat... Both just seconds of being on same frame bout 25+ yrds apart...
cheers Lance... While my posts are not worth 2cents on texasHF... rofl If ya hunt hogs enough, sooner or later, hogs gonna charge... Hunten with dogs, hogs gonna be runnen wild with dogs on their trail... A wounded hog being pressured.. Gone inta thick stuff after wounded hogs both day & night time hunts... Been blessed...
Twice had hogs charge... First time, tried getting pic of it, with new cell phone, slinger pistal strapped by me side.. Daytime, going threw thick stuff, hit thinned out area, sow put on bluff charge then 4-5 little ones stepped out with another sow.. Closest one bluffed again, while others went wee-wee-wee back inta thicket with other following... Less the 15 feet, fast action, no shots fired...
2nd time, forgot fanny pac, carry my camera in it, at truck... Shot at hog, spun ran straight at me, had ta side step at last second ta keep from getting knocked down...
Both times during day... Night time advantage goes ta hunter with high-tech NV, Thermal & sillancers ... Much safer than caveman days.. At night sound of gun, no telling witch way hog gonna run.. Yagh, can't fix stupid... rofl i'd be right thar with ya, with me alian body parts ... Stay safe... flag

Re: Does this happen to anyone else? - 10/20/15 12:19 AM

Checked my game cams this afternoon. Hogs came in 2 hours after I left. They really know how to add insult, do they not?
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Does this happen to anyone else? - 10/20/15 12:58 AM

Originally Posted By: flintknapper
Checked my game cams this afternoon. Hogs came in 2 hours after I left. They really know how to add insult, do they not?

rofl cheers flag
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Does this happen to anyone else? - 10/20/15 10:27 AM

I don't keep the hides, so I use a 6.8 or .308 and they both take care of business.
Posted By: VAFish

Re: Does this happen to anyone else? - 10/20/15 11:51 AM

Haven't had that problem hog hunting, but did have a day muzzle loader deer hunting where I spent several hours in a tree stand with squirrels running all around me. I didn't think a .54 muzzle loader was appropriate for the little tree rats. Finally about 10 AM I decided to go back to the truck and get my .17 HMR and rid that stand of the pests. Walked across the clear cut to my truck, put the muzzle loader away, took the .17 HMR. Walked the exact same path back across the clear cut to my stand. Bounced a nice 8 point buck that ran about 20 yards then stopped broadside to look at me. All I could do was put the cross hairs on him and tell him how lucky he was (or how unlucky I was). Got back to the tree stand, sat in it for 2 hours and didn't see a single squirrel.
Posted By: daniel1381

Re: Does this happen to anyone else? - 10/20/15 01:28 PM

had the same problem had some big nasty hogs coming in so I busted out my 338lm and a female yote showed up and the 285gr amax jacked her up!
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Does this happen to anyone else? - 10/23/15 01:51 PM

Nice cat.

Re: Does this happen to anyone else? - 10/24/15 12:16 AM

Originally Posted By: VAFish
Haven't had that problem hog hunting, but did have a day muzzle loader deer hunting where I spent several hours in a tree stand with squirrels running all around me. I didn't think a .54 muzzle loader was appropriate for the little tree rats. Finally about 10 AM I decided to go back to the truck and get my .17 HMR and rid that stand of the pests. Walked across the clear cut to my truck, put the muzzle loader away, took the .17 HMR. Walked the exact same path back across the clear cut to my stand. Bounced a nice 8 point buck that ran about 20 yards then stopped broadside to look at me. All I could do was put the cross hairs on him and tell him how lucky he was (or how unlucky I was). Got back to the tree stand, sat in it for 2 hours and didn't see a single squirrel.

Yep, they KNOW! I'm sure how.....but they know. smile
Posted By: mikei

Re: Does this happen to anyone else? - 10/24/15 12:32 AM

Yep! That's why they call it "hunting" instead of "killing!" I've made a very long career out of being in the wrong spot, at the wrong time, with the wrong firearm/caliber. Been skunked more than once, twice, thrice by trying to outguess old Mother Nature and her animals. But, like you, I keep coming back!! blush
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum