Texas Hunting Forum

choke for slugs

Posted By: etx reaper

choke for slugs - 09/30/15 03:02 PM

Which choke is best for shooting slugs. I have a old mossberg that I put a light and holographic sight on and sighted in with 00 buckshot with a x-full choke. Wondering if i can shoot a 1 ounce slug thru this choke with out messing the barrel up. Would like to be able to put a couple of slugs up front and have 4 buck shots to follow up slugs. Any suggestions on choke selection.
Posted By: mikei

Re: choke for slugs - 09/30/15 04:03 PM

Cylinder or Improved works best for me. Test each choke with the slugs you're going to use to find out which one patterns the best.
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: choke for slugs - 09/30/15 04:28 PM

Can't speak much about a gun with choke tubes but my old Mossberg 385T has a fixed full choke (28" barrel, rifle sights, bolt action). I've put 3" mag rifled slugs through it and it hasn't screwed anything up for any kind/size of shot.
Posted By: etx reaper

Re: choke for slugs - 09/30/15 06:08 PM

Thanks for the advice. Think I'll start with ic and move up from there.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: choke for slugs - 09/30/15 07:16 PM

2cents Mossberg makes inter changeable slug barrells... Used ta be around $100.00 for slug barrell. Easy to inter change, flag
Posted By: sillyhorses

Re: choke for slugs - 09/30/15 09:36 PM

Do Not shoot shotgun slugs out of anything but a Improved Cylinder ( IC ) or maybe a modified barrel. The slug's diameter is larger than the Full choke barrel, so the slug would have to squeeze out of the barrel which could blow the barrel up.
Posted By: VAFish

Re: choke for slugs - 10/01/15 03:49 PM

Originally Posted By: sillyhorses
Do Not shoot shotgun slugs out of anything but a Improved Cylinder ( IC ) or maybe a modified barrel. The slug's diameter is larger than the Full choke barrel, so the slug would have to squeeze out of the barrel which could blow the barrel up.

I've shot foster style slugs out of many a full choke barrel and never had a problem. The lead slug is very soft.

However with screw in chokes I would used IC or Modified.

From the OP's post he wants to load slugs, then buckshot. I'm guessing slugs for first hit, then buckshot on running pigs. Try some of the buffered buckshot loads, Flite Control wads, or low recoil rounds, they pattern pretty well with most any choke.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum