Texas Hunting Forum

Broad Heads for Oinks

Posted By: DirtNapTET

Broad Heads for Oinks - 09/15/15 07:10 PM

Does anybody have any suggestions on some cheap yet reliable broadheads for pigs?

We have a serious issue with pigs this year and they are all over my bow stands. Its gotten pretty bad, we are seeing less and less deer on the cams every week (one cam hasnt even captured a deer in the last 3 weeks), so my plan is to dedicate the time bw now and opener to try to start cleaning out some of the hogs and hone in my bow shootin. Obviously dont want to be using my deer broadheads though.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Broad Heads for Oinks - 09/15/15 08:00 PM

I'd use NAP Thunderheads. Good fixed blade at a decent price.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Broad Heads for Oinks - 09/15/15 08:05 PM

Not sure if they are still selling them but I have used grim reaper hog heads for the last couple of years and have killed a pile of them. They are mechanical heads that run $19 for a three pack. Had a few heads that made it through 5 or 6 hogs before they were trash.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Broad Heads for Oinks - 09/15/15 08:23 PM

I have used all kinds of different fixed broadheads. I used the Muzzy standard 2 blade, and they work very well, and penetrate deep. Most were pass through. I found some cheap NAP fixed 3 blades that were either 7/8" or 1" cutting diameter, and they work well. I prefer the fixed blades on pigs. I did shoot 2 pigs with a Steel Force 4 blade (large main blade and small bleeder blade), and both of these broadheads broke. So, I don't like these broadheads for tough critters. The NAP 3 blade is what I used the last times bow hunting with pigs.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Broad Heads for Oinks - 09/15/15 11:57 PM

Would think any broadhead that shoots acurate with your bow... If ya lived close bye, got lots of broad heads yagh could have 90-125gr, no longer able ta use bow cause of shoulder.. Best wishes flag
Posted By: BowsnRods

Re: Broad Heads for Oinks - 09/16/15 12:43 AM

Steel Force if you can find them my second choice is bear broad heads with a bleeder blade.
Posted By: cmc

Re: Broad Heads for Oinks - 09/16/15 01:06 AM

I've killed a pile with Thunderheads and never broke a ferrel just replace blades and keep killing.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Broad Heads for Oinks - 09/16/15 01:40 AM

Old School.

But if I had to use ‘steel’, I like a Zwickey Delta.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Broad Heads for Oinks - 09/16/15 01:31 PM

Originally Posted By: flintknapper
Old School.

cheers coolpics flag
Posted By: Aggieman775

Re: Broad Heads for Oinks - 09/16/15 01:49 PM

My experience just as long as it's sharp and if it's not an expandable
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Broad Heads for Oinks - 09/16/15 02:21 PM

My used broadheads become pig heads. When they get dull or knicked I move them to the last 2 or 3 spots in my quiver. I still have some old muzzy 100gr 3 blades that i swear will never break. Those things must have killed 10-15 hogs each.
Posted By: DirtNapTET

Re: Broad Heads for Oinks - 09/16/15 02:26 PM

Originally Posted By: colt.45
Would think any broadhead that shoots acurate with your bow... If ya lived close bye, got lots of broad heads yagh could have 90-125gr, no longer able ta use bow cause of shoulder.. Best wishes flag

Certainly appreciate it Colt, I may take you up on that if I'm ever out your way!

Preciate all the input fellas!

Re: Broad Heads for Oinks - 09/16/15 11:11 PM

Originally Posted By: flintknapper
Old School.

But if I had to use ‘steel’, I like a Zwickey Delta.

Sir we need to talk. I've wanted to kill a hog with a wooden arrow and knapped head for years but I've never really known anybody that could help me out. I will buy whatever is needed to get arrows set up for one of my recurves.
Posted By: cantcatch5

Re: Broad Heads for Oinks - 09/18/15 01:50 AM

Bass Pro Shops had the new NAP Rednecks on sale for $14 per 3 pack. They are pretty much a Thunderhead with red stripes on the center portion.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Broad Heads for Oinks - 09/18/15 02:08 AM

If your wanting cheap shoot whatever heads super walmarts have a pack of Carbon Express fixed heads that are insane sharp.. Like $15 a pack and shoot good
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Broad Heads for Oinks - 09/18/15 02:12 AM

Originally Posted By: colt.45

I speak u language betta closer season get.. cheers

Re: Broad Heads for Oinks - 09/18/15 03:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
If your wanting cheap shoot whatever heads super walmarts have a pack of Carbon Express fixed heads that are insane sharp.. Like $15 a pack and shoot good

I think most all blades are lazer sharpened now because even cheap heads are scary sharp. I had a pack of those and killed two deer and a hog with the three and when I have to shoot a coon I don't feel as bad because I'm not launching $15 heads at em.
Posted By: customcutter

Re: Broad Heads for Oinks - 09/19/15 03:52 AM

Flintknappper, you are a craftsman Sir!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum