Texas Hunting Forum

Trapping Bobcats

Posted By: luvpigmeet

Trapping Bobcats - 09/04/15 09:12 PM

Hope this post is okay here. Didn't see anything with trapping in it. Was wondering if any of y'all trap bobcat and what scents and lures you use. Looking to start this winter. Live in PA.
Posted By: eyedoc

Re: Trapping Bobcats - 09/04/15 09:26 PM

powder river cat call, purrrfect, tomcat, gh11, violator 7
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Trapping Bobcats - 09/04/15 09:42 PM

couple of different methods, find their tacks first(to see if they are traveling the same route) and set a couple of different type
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Trapping Bobcats - 09/04/15 09:54 PM

The few I have caught while trapping coyotes have been on the sweeter smelling scented lure baits. No expert by any means on trapping them.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Trapping Bobcats - 09/04/15 09:55 PM

beaver tail
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Trapping Bobcats - 09/04/15 09:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
beaver tail

That has caught more than Bobcats..... grin
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Trapping Bobcats - 09/04/15 09:57 PM

roflmao
Posted By: cmc

Re: Trapping Bobcats - 09/04/15 11:03 PM

I've had best luck with a bobcat gland lure and either feathers or rabbit hair around the set.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Trapping Bobcats - 09/04/15 11:04 PM

Originally Posted By: cmc
I've had best luck with a bobcat gland lure and either feathers or rabbit hair around the set.
I forgot about the feathers
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Trapping Bobcats - 09/05/15 12:34 AM

Catnip and a feather lure worked for me in a live trap. Caught it after only two days.
Posted By: Western

Re: Trapping Bobcats - 09/05/15 01:13 PM

Feathers, al pie pan, cotton balls, all work hung with a string off a branch, then set a mound type trap set. Use brush and sticks/rocks to force a one way entry. Sets like this work great on trails and on field edges as well. I usually used a coat hanger from the branch down, then a piece of string about 4" long so the eye candy can flutter without getting hung up in the tree.

Go easy on the scents, cats have poor sense of smell compared to other vermin, like skunks and coons, but there vision and curiosity will bring them to the "flash". That's one reason I never worried as much about trap scent lke you do for a yote.

I have also caught a few with a banty (sp) rooster in a live cage, with leg hold traps set along the front (block all sides to force one way entry). I had a 4' wide love cage and would put at least 3 traps in the ground along the front. Can be a pita keeping food and water for the rooster though, but it will work.

Re: Trapping Bobcats - 09/06/15 03:35 AM

Thanks guys. Can't wait until December.
Posted By: Chick

Re: Trapping Bobcats - 09/07/15 09:45 PM

Powder River Cat Call, cubby set, feathers. Sometimes I put some meat in the cubby

Re: Trapping Bobcats - 09/08/15 10:16 PM

Ya, here in PA no feathers or "animal bait seen from the air". silly rules. was going to soot a turkey this fall and us a feather. guess I will figure something else out. anyone use the cat collector lure? saw some video on it. using a dirt set, where and how would I put the lure? Thanks ahead of time for the info. first time trapping. want a Bobcat real bad on the wall. LOL

Re: Trapping Bobcats - 09/10/15 05:02 PM

What is he logic behind no feathers? Trapping laws keep getting stupider by the minute.

Re: Trapping Bobcats - 09/13/15 12:49 AM

Chick, They call it bait being seen from the air here in PA. If I was hunting and not trapping, I could have bait "seen from the air." I will do you one even more stupid, If I was hunting deer with a muzzleloader, I have to wear orange. If my friend was sitting beside me and using a bow, he could wear camo. Welcome to fricken PA!! Have 10 preference points, and can't even get drawn for a fricken Elk tag. I need to move to Texas!!
Posted By: DesertHunting

Re: Trapping Bobcats - 09/15/15 05:09 AM

The seen from the air rules are for the birds (pun very much intended). It's to keep carrion and birds of prey out of the traps. You're also not supposed to trap within thirty feet of a carcass and the carcass should be staked down as not to be drug over to you trap. There are more rules than you could imagine and it also depends on who you trap for.

One cheap eye catcher is pillow stuffing. You can get a big bag of it at Wally World for less than $4 and it will last for hundreds of sets. Just watch out where you set it, some of it can blow away easy. Use it like you would fur or feathers. I'd still make sure you couldn't see it from the air. There are some great baits and lure already mentioned, give them a try and see what works best for you. Anything with beaver castor is sure to be a winner.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Trapping Bobcats - 09/15/15 06:07 AM

Dirt hole sets, cubby sets and walk through sets. If you can use feathers or rabbit fur with some gland lure.

Something I've heard about but haven't tried is hanging a CD or ribbons over your set. I wouldn't think this would be considered "bait" seen from the air. I could see it working

Re: Trapping Bobcats - 09/16/15 02:49 AM

I have Cat Collector Lure and getting Federale Bait from Clint Locklear, Predator Control Group.

Re: Trapping Bobcats - 09/30/15 06:52 AM

Stupid law about the feathers. I use Powder River Cat Call, in a cubby set. Catch some in dirt hole sets for coyotes.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Trapping Bobcats - 10/01/15 04:15 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Originally Posted By: Navasot
beaver tail

That has caught more than Bobcats..... grin

Heard of a few coyote women!!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum