Texas Hunting Forum

Chicken killing coon

Posted By: Cool Mo D

Chicken killing coon - 08/14/15 06:52 PM

Chickens are in a pen. Ideas, other than a shot-gun.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Chicken killing coon - 08/14/15 10:07 PM

A trap?
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Chicken killing coon - 08/14/15 11:39 PM

Trap or snare should take care of the problem.

'Duke' dog proof trap would be my preference and suggestion. Should catch the coon very first night (bait with tuna or sardines).

http://www.amazon.com/Raccoon-Trap-Proof-Hunting-Anyone/dp/B004949EIC

Good luck Sir,

Flint
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Chicken killing coon - 08/15/15 03:26 PM

Duke trap...then baseball bat to finish... up
Posted By: hermano W

Re: Chicken killing coon - 08/15/15 05:00 PM

I have an electric fence wire about 6" above the ground on the outside my chicken yard fence. It is grounded to the ground and also to the fence. It is very effective for protecting the chickens from everything except hawks, owls, and bobcats. If bobcats are bad, you need another wire at the top.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Chicken killing coon - 08/16/15 09:30 PM

Does he choke them?
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: Chicken killing coon - 08/16/15 10:36 PM

Do the 45 degree angle nails in pvc with cabling throw in some marshmallows, pb, or sardine, and stake it down and be patient. Works pretty good for me and got the idea offline somewhere.
Posted By: Regular Guy

Re: Chicken killing coon - 08/17/15 11:41 PM

I use an air rifle for pest control at home. Mine is a .25 cal break barrel, called an xs28m and it has been tuned. You can pick up a Gamo hornet for about $90, and if you keep it inside 15 or 20 yards or so it will take care of a raccoon in town quietly and humanely. Use a well placed head shot, and you want to hit the skull at a flat angle. Top of the head with his head down, behind the ear from the side or quartering away, base of the head/neck from behind. If you don't have the patience to wait for the angle, forget about using an air rifle. If you have some bait out, you should have no problem getting a flat angle on top of his head with his head down. If his head comes up, forget it, an no shots between the eyes. A bad angle will deflect a pellet, sometimes even a bullet.

Edit- also practice a bit before you take on the air rifle. Limit your shots to the distance you can hit a quarter. There is no hydrostatic shock or fratmentation with a pellet, you have to put a hole through the brain
Posted By: Hunter-Steve

Re: Chicken killing coon - 08/18/15 12:29 AM

I must admit. From the title I was hoping to read about how your chicken was killing coons! rifle
Posted By: Regular Guy

Re: Chicken killing coon - 08/18/15 02:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Hunter-Steve
I must admit. From the title I was hoping to read about how your chicken was killing coons! rifle

Me, too!
Posted By: bull279

Re: Chicken killing coon - 09/09/15 03:54 PM

My father had problems with snakes and raccoons. He set up an electric fence charger and ran a hot wire around the top and bottom of his coop. Took care of the problem. I would not recommend using a .223, I ended up shooting through the side of the barn and hit a metal tank (luckily empty and not in use), plus the snake got away.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum