Texas Hunting Forum

best gun for coyotes bolt action or ar.

Posted By: jtown102

best gun for coyotes bolt action or ar. - 03/28/15 12:38 AM

Just got my coyote call. Now just want to get yall opinion on which gun to get or just stick with my deer rifle. Possible looking into a ar just in case I get into multiple yotes for quick shots.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: best gun for coyotes bolt action or ar. - 03/28/15 01:02 AM

welcome Go with what you got to start, then if you continue varmint hunting you can adjust. Some fellows even use shotguns, so the field is open.
Posted By: boonee

Re: best gun for coyotes bolt action or ar. - 03/28/15 02:03 AM

Run with what you got. Years ago I had 1 rifle, 30-06 it was what I used for all my hunting needs, including turkey hunting.
Welcome to the forum.
Posted By: bradtown

Re: best gun for coyotes bolt action or ar. - 03/29/15 03:14 AM

These guys are spot on, many times i use a 243 bolt if im trying to squeeze in a deer hunt.
I normally use an ar for quick follow ups.. but if a bolt is handy, so be it. smile
Posted By: DStroud

Re: best gun for coyotes bolt action or ar. - 03/31/15 02:28 AM

I am a little embarrassed for the above posters. They really need to turn in their man-cards and get back to ironing.
You just took up a new hobby and they are denying you one of the main privileges of that which is buying NEW stuff. You will need a new gun and new optics as well....... One did say you could use a shotgun well there you go two new guns obviously need to be budgeted for.
Do you reload? If not take this new found hobby to the next level with custom ammo!
Got a Drone?
Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: best gun for coyotes bolt action or ar. - 03/31/15 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By: DStroud
I am a little embarrassed for the above posters. They really need to turn in their man-cards and get back to ironing.
You just took up a new hobby and they are denying you one of the main privileges of that which is buying NEW stuff. You will need a new gun and new optics as well....... One did say you could use a shotgun well there you go two new guns obviously need to be budgeted for.
Do you reload? If not take this new found hobby to the next level with custom ammo!
Got a Drone?

I too have taken this approach. As a result I recently had to also invest in a new gun safe twice as large as the previous or I would sadly be done adding new pieces to the collection.
Posted By: song dog down

Re: best gun for coyotes bolt action or ar. - 03/31/15 03:44 PM

DStroud makes me proud. I was thinking it but didn't want to Obama I mean offend anyone. up
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: best gun for coyotes bolt action or ar. - 03/31/15 04:07 PM

Buy yourself a new AR.
Posted By: REALKILLER

Re: best gun for coyotes bolt action or ar. - 03/31/15 04:26 PM

Lots of quick shootin, the question is are you Lucas Macain or are you more conservative and only shoot still targets. I like to get freaky with them, but I use a 223 bolt gun. You may want an AR. The bolt gun can lead to some nice cuts to the hand when slamming the bolt closed and cycling shells, but I like it. Graze a scope without a rubber cover on the recticale on the end with your hand or fingers, and it will cut you wide open. Regaining recvovery for the next shot is quicker with an auto because all you are doing is aiming and shooting vs shuckin shells. rifle
Posted By: Frio County Hunts

Re: best gun for coyotes bolt action or ar. - 03/31/15 09:00 PM

Originally Posted By: DStroud
Got a Drone?

Hahahahahaha. Awesomeness
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: best gun for coyotes bolt action or ar. - 04/02/15 02:30 AM

Lol @ DStroud. My typical MO for firearm purchases is to get one I truly don't need but can justify to myself... then not use it for at least six months - all the while using one I already had.

As a matter of fact one of my last rifle purchases may have sat over a year before firing only a single bullet.

-Mickey
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: best gun for coyotes bolt action or ar. - 04/02/15 01:53 PM

I really like DStrouds idea... grin

Flip side, you don't HAVE to buy anything, but I enjoy using an AR for yotes much more than a bolt....pigs too. If you are going to hunt pigs too, I'd suggest a bit more gun than a .223 too.

Biggest thing...have fun! up
Posted By: Jake84

Re: best gun for coyotes bolt action or ar. - 04/03/15 12:33 AM

I've gone out yote hunting with my AR, my .308 Rem 700, and my 12ga pump, still never seen a dog, cat, or chupacobra. I can only assume I need a new gun and a bigger better more expensive Foxpro.
Posted By: fill

Re: best gun for coyotes bolt action or ar. - 04/03/15 03:34 AM

I say use what ever rifle that you are comfortable and capable with putting rds where you want them to go, and to be able to do so quickly. These things are skittish they rarely give you the perfect shot. And remember the gun is only half the battle. Getting them to come in at all, or even into the kill zone is a whole other story. I always tell people that predator hunting is like riding a dirt bike. You need seat time to get better. I've spent many many hours in the field, and have been skunked more times than I care to remember. But get out there and keep at it. You'll learn new techniques every time you go out.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: best gun for coyotes bolt action or ar. - 04/03/15 05:34 AM

welcome

Shoot what you have, personally I prefer a 243, it is big enough for anything I come across while in the pasture.
Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: best gun for coyotes bolt action or ar. - 04/03/15 04:23 PM

Originally Posted By: REALKILLER
Lots of quick shootin, the question is are you Lucas Macain or are you more conservative and only shoot still targets. I like to get freaky with them, but I use a 223 bolt gun. You may want an AR. The bolt gun can lead to some nice cuts to the hand when slamming the bolt closed and cycling shells, but I like it. Graze a scope without a rubber cover on the recticale on the end with your hand or fingers, and it will cut you wide open. Regaining recvovery for the next shot is quicker with an auto because all you are doing is aiming and shooting vs shuckin shells. rifle

WTH? I almost exclusively use an AR and I've yet to cut my hand. Cut your hand on the "reticale"?
Posted By: dogdown23

Re: best gun for coyotes bolt action or ar. - 04/03/15 11:39 PM

Agree ^^ WTH? I use an AR and bolt gun, never knew you could cut yourself wide open. Guess I better be careful
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum