Texas Hunting Forum

How long would you ,,,poll

Posted By: Lance Vick

How long would you ,,,poll - 02/19/15 01:57 PM

How long? Would you sit in,a comfortable ground blind over looking a feeder,
pigs come to every night, shot distance 60 to 100 yards ( but they might not come due to scent or sound ,weather and the fact they are pigs and do not follow schedules )
You have food, water , cell phone ,heat if need be
Poll is in hours
Vote to see results
Posted By: Slicktricked

Re: How long would you ,,,poll - 02/19/15 03:09 PM

I've set in a blind until I fell asleep, woke up and kept hunting. Unless it's Saturday night. Church Sunday mornings.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: How long would you ,,,poll - 02/19/15 04:11 PM

I will wait long periods of time. I have shown up, checked cams, and realized that it is 4:00 in the afternoon and the hogs aren't going to be there until 3:00 in the morning based on several previous nights' of pictures. I will go ahead and hop in the stand and wait. Patterned hogs often deviate from their times. For several hunts, I have had hogs show up many hours early as compared to their recent pattern, hours late, or not at all. Even better, I have had different hogs show up early.

However, if I think they will be there, I will wait and give them a reasonable opportunity to show up.

Generally speaking, I plan on being in the stand or hunting for at least 4 hours. Any less and I figure the drive time and expense isn't worthwhile.

Re: How long would you ,,,poll - 02/19/15 04:32 PM

I did add a line to the poll set up
Because the possibility the pigs will not show up could change the vote ( sorry first voters )
As it would not be a real scenario the way I had it written at first
Posted By: inkedagent

Re: How long would you ,,,poll - 02/19/15 04:38 PM

The caveat to this would be: "Are you paying for this hunt?" I will sit until my pre allotted time expires because come hell or high water, I'm shooting something! flag aim
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: How long would you ,,,poll - 02/19/15 05:33 PM

Originally Posted By: inkedagent
The caveat to this would be: "Are you paying for this hunt?" I will sit until my pre allotted time expires because come hell or high water, I'm shooting something! flag aim

very true ^^
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: How long would you ,,,poll - 02/19/15 05:52 PM

Also depends how mad I am at those pigs.
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: How long would you ,,,poll - 02/19/15 07:37 PM

I've sat out all night more than once waiting for hogs. My attitude now is that If I see a pattern on camera, I'll go out before they typically arrive and wait until past the time they normally show. I'll go 1-2 hours early and stay 1-2 hours past typical arrival, but I don't just sit out all night hoping for something to happen anymore.
Posted By: Vern1

Re: How long would you ,,,poll - 02/20/15 03:14 PM

I voted for 4-6 because that's average time spent.
I have spent a few nights in the comfort of my 4x8 elevated box blinds.
I have also waited too late, snuck in quietly, got everything ready, opened the window on the blind and immediately shot pigs although that has only happened a few times.

I only actively hunt feral pigs.
I monitor game cams, temperature, fronts, wind, sun and moon rise and set plus all kinds of other stuff.
Does it help? - well, sometimes...LOL!
I am lucky as I have my own property, manage it myself and have multiple blinds ready to crawl into at a moments notice within 15 minutes of the house.

At this point, I go when it feels right, stay as long as I want, relax and enjoy it because if it ain't fun, why bother.

Re: How long would you ,,,poll - 02/20/15 05:13 PM

I voted 2-4
But I can sit as long as it takes
I'm becoming more fair weather the older I get
I do like to get out and sneak corned roads and feeders

So far voting is close except the 1-2 hour
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: How long would you ,,,poll - 02/22/15 05:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Vern1

At this point, I go when it feels right, stay as long as I want, relax and enjoy it because if it ain't fun, why bother.

cheers +1 flag
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: How long would you ,,,poll - 02/22/15 03:17 PM

I tend to get into the blind while it's still daylight, so I'm usually done by midnight.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: How long would you ,,,poll - 02/22/15 03:42 PM

Quote:
I tend to get into the blind while it's still daylight, so I'm usually done by midnight.

If I am just hoping to see hogs and it is winter, that is my normal plan as well. In summer when it gets dark so much later, I stay until at least 1:00 or 2:00 am.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: How long would you ,,,poll - 02/22/15 04:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Lance Vick
I voted 2-4
But I can sit as long as it takes
I'm becoming more fair weather the older I get
I do like to get out and sneak corned roads and feeders

So far voting is close except the 1-2 hour

I have become the same way. There was a time I would stay all night. I'll stay till bedtime now, and I wont miss supper.
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: How long would you ,,,poll - 02/22/15 05:12 PM

Depends on many things. I'm not gonna bother if I can't give it at least 6 hours. After that, it just depends on circumstances. I'll sit all night if I feel like staying has a reasonable chance of being productive.
Posted By: ZenArchery

Re: How long would you ,,,poll - 02/22/15 11:10 PM

as per your poll. If you KNOW they are coming. I'd sit all night long.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum