Posted By: colt45-90

leg trap ? - 01/30/15 05:45 PM

what's the best leg trap for coyote?
Posted By: bdotson

Re: leg trap ? - 01/31/15 03:25 AM

Mb 550
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: leg trap ? - 01/31/15 03:34 AM

#3 or #4 long spring is my favorite. Depends on brand whether you need the 3 or 4. I can't remember the brand we use to buy in the 70's. Use to be Victors before that and I don't think they were the best made trap.
Posted By: Western

Re: leg trap ? - 01/31/15 02:08 PM

I use #3 coil spring and #4 in long springs, some are offsets some not.. I have a mixture of brands, Victor and I don't recall the better ones I have. Just pulled them out of a box 2 days ago, so I will look and get the name, but I believe they are Alpines.

There are things you can do to make the traps much better, like adding spring under the pan and filing the pan/latch point. I have caught allot of coyotes in cheap ole victors.
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: leg trap ? - 01/31/15 03:08 PM

Norwood is the name I was forgetting. Traps were very tough and came rough from the box. Like Western stated, there are things you can do to the traps to make them much more effective. Youtube is your friend!

Re: leg trap ? - 01/31/15 03:17 PM

I didn't have "Alpines" that is where they are made (been 10 years since i had them out grin) The are Livestock Protection Co. traps, made in Alpine TX blush

One of the best you can buy.

http://www.livestockprotection.net/traps01.htm

Re: leg trap ? - 01/31/15 03:49 PM

Sleepy Creek and Bridgers are good.
Posted By: R. Edwards

Re: leg trap ? - 01/31/15 04:49 PM

Duke makes great traps for the money too. I'd look into #3 and #4 coil spring traps. My favorites for coyotes although a little overkill for small Texas yotes are Duke #4 CS OS. I would post some pictures of the trap mods I do, but mine are all in the ground. Youtube night latching a trap and look into adding an extra swivel in your chain if your going to be staking your traps down or using earth anchors.
Posted By: pdotson

Re: leg trap ? - 02/02/15 02:23 AM

Had 6 yotes and 1 cat in mb550s in the last 2 weeks. All held really well. Have some dukes and bridges but prefer the Minnesota brand. My suggestion is to invest in cable stakes too.

Re: leg trap ? - 02/02/15 03:01 PM

I used to stake and sometimes I still do if a property line is close, or loss of trap is likely. Most of mine I use a drag so I can use the set location again.
Posted By: Txcatman1

Re: leg trap ? - 02/02/15 03:08 PM

Mb's and earth anchors all the way
Posted By: bdotson

Re: leg trap ? - 02/02/15 07:49 PM

Originally Posted By: bdotson
Mb 550
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum