Texas Hunting Forum

Hunting with 100% chance of rain??

Posted By: Carlos B

Hunting with 100% chance of rain?? - 12/17/14 03:13 PM

Ok, so I was planning on going hunting this Thursday afternoon thru Friday. Houston has 80% chance of rain on Thursday and 100% chance on Friday confused2 .

Is this a good idea? scratch

On one hand, rain helps to minimize my odor and I’m sure those hogs love wet and stinky corn-I have a special recipe I found online- and may be more active…maybe? walking

On the other hand, there is no way to know if I will in fact get heavy or any rain on or near my hunting spot. bs

Also, how the heck do I get a clear shot or if I get one or a couple, what about field dressing them with the rain? hanged I won’t have a place to do it out of the rain.

Decisions, decisions….
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Hunting with 100% chance of rain?? - 12/17/14 03:28 PM

Hunt the pastures. They will be looking to root up new ground that's softened up from the rain.
Posted By: Harley7892

Re: Hunting with 100% chance of rain?? - 12/17/14 03:49 PM

That's what they make rain gear for. FREE bath night also.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Hunting with 100% chance of rain?? - 12/17/14 04:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Harley7892
That's what they make rain gear for. FREE bath night also.

Yup.
My wife shot a doe a few weeks back in the rain. When the rain let up for a bit deer came running to the feeder.
Of course when I showed up to help track it down and field dress the doe, it started raining again. I was soaked, bloody, muddy, and freezing, it sucked.
I had no rain gear. Get rain gear!
Posted By: Believer

Re: Hunting with 100% chance of rain?? - 12/17/14 04:32 PM

Some of the biggest deer killed are right after a rain storm
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Hunting with 100% chance of rain?? - 12/17/14 04:38 PM

The few times I've hunted in the rain have been very good. When the rain lightens up or stops for a brief bit, I usually see good things come out. I will wear my rain coat and rain pants, with my good water proof boots. I take minimal gear with me to keep it under my rain coat. I usually take my cheap hard case with my rifle inside to minimize my rifle getting wet. I normally plan to hunt in a box blind to help stay dry. If you are lucky enough to kill something, then plan to dress it out in the rain. I wear my old rain coat anyway when cleaning a deer so I don't get blood all up on my clothes and sleeves. The coat washes off blood easy and gets me less bloody. I worry about the hunt first, and then worry about cleaning it after the fact!

Re: Hunting with 100% chance of rain?? - 12/17/14 05:10 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys happy3

I should've known better to ask a bunch of hunting addicts if I should go hunt or not hammer

So, suck it up, get rain gear and prepared to be soaked and bloody! coach
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Hunting with 100% chance of rain?? - 12/17/14 05:10 PM

If I can get out tonight, I will be out between bands of storms here in north Texas. I like hunting when it has rained. I have gotten several hogs either right after rains (1-2 hours later) or between bands of rains moving through. I actually think it is a very good time to be out and about if you can be dry. Me? I don't like to hunt and be wet or have to deal with a lot of wet gear, but from a dry stand, it is great.

Re: Hunting with 100% chance of rain?? - 12/17/14 05:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
If I can get out tonight, I will be out between bands of storms here in north Texas. I like hunting when it has rained. I have gotten several hogs either right after rains (1-2 hours later) or between bands of rains moving through. I actually think it is a very good time to be out and about if you can be dry. Me? I don't like to hunt and be wet or have to deal with a lot of wet gear, but from a dry stand, it is great.

I'll be hunting from a blind of about 6'x6' size and hopefully it won't be leaking. I'm going to try and scout a bit in between the bands of rain also.

I was also trying to lure a buck using doe urine and some calls, should I even try?
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Hunting with 100% chance of rain?? - 12/17/14 06:15 PM

Frogg Toggs are outstanding.. and fairly cheap at academy. If I have the chance to hunt I'm hunting.. Period. If you're shooting anywhere inside 200 yards i wouldn't even worry about the rain being a factor with your shot. These guys are right about the breaks in the rain also.. some of the best activity! Good luck!
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: Hunting with 100% chance of rain?? - 12/17/14 06:47 PM

according to my cams

hogs at my place feed in the rain, they seem to love it, have their corn and sips of water at same time

i have not seen deer in the rain on cams

good luck
Posted By: Cattrax

Re: Hunting with 100% chance of rain?? - 12/17/14 07:21 PM

Great hunting after a rain for deer. Better for coyotes and hogs during a rain.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Hunting with 100% chance of rain?? - 12/17/14 07:46 PM

" ...should I even try?"

You got something better to do? elmer

Rain is going to wash away some smells. Smell attractants may not be your best bet because of this. Sorry.

Re: Hunting with 100% chance of rain?? - 12/18/14 05:34 PM

I'm glad I didn't cancel, rain chances dropped to 20% for tonight. Still 100% for tomorrow but maybe I can get something in my cooler before then!

Thanks for all your suggestions guys slinger grill stir
Posted By: Txkiller

Re: Hunting with 100% chance of rain?? - 12/18/14 06:18 PM

It rained pretty good here last night, I took Kroyal out and we spotted a lot of deer, 30+ hogs and I called in a cat. I didn't expect to see anything but there was a lot of action after the rain stopped.
Posted By: maxscm

Re: Hunting with 100% chance of rain?? - 12/19/14 12:04 PM

Hogs Love Mud!
Posted By: wetduck

Re: Hunting with 100% chance of rain?? - 12/20/14 12:26 PM

critters live outside all their lives, they might hole up for the worst of a storm but aint like they leave town on the evac bus.
Posted By: daniel1381

Re: Hunting with 100% chance of rain?? - 12/20/14 02:46 PM

some of the most activity I have seen was in the rain. also seen activity when the rain stope for 10-15 min and picks back up.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Hunting with 100% chance of rain?? - 12/20/14 06:00 PM

been thar done that. have had bullets that wouldn't fire from me 30-30 cause out in rain getten soaked. finaly broke down got me some new ones. had ta disarm the old ones. boldly going were no man has gone before. bang wait that was the Enterprise. i 'm more down ta earth. as pappy once said: keep your head held high & your powder dry . have found hogs bedded up on rainy days, even ducks don't like ta fly in rainy weather flag
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum