Texas Hunting Forum

Favorite call for Varmints

Posted By: cp50948

Favorite call for Varmints - 11/25/14 04:22 PM

What are some of yalls favorite calls for yotes foxes and cats. are they hand calls, electronic, sounds etc.

Here's mine- little red by TJ Shockler. Works almost everytime.
Posted By: Kenneth1977

Re: Favorite call for Varmints - 11/25/14 04:44 PM

Elec- lighting jack
Mouth - green nasty
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Favorite call for Varmints - 11/25/14 11:02 PM

I'm gonna' get laughed at here, but I use the little plastic squeakers that go in dog toys and stuffed animals. I put it under the toe of my boot and just squeak it softly every now and then. It doesn't sound like any kind of animal in particular, but varmints are very curious and more than a few coyotes and bobcats have come to see what's making that durn noise. I buy them at craft stores or on-line for like $3.50/dozen and one will last a couple dozen hunts before the seam splits. They will usually stop a moving deer long enough for a shot, too, and using it under your boot leaves both hands free.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Favorite call for Varmints - 11/26/14 02:05 AM

I am new to this and so don't have a lot of experience with calls. I read about the one I am using somewhere online. I have now used it successfully several times. It is a Knight and Hale Cottontail Predator Call (Distress Call). It squeals.

I like the toy squeaker idea. Given my proficiency with the rabbit distress call (I just make squealing noise), I could probably have just used the toy squeakers!
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Favorite call for Varmints - 11/26/14 01:14 PM

I got the idea for the squeaker thing when I read an article years ago about varmint hunting (about calling volume, in particular, and how many callers way overdo it) that said a coyote can hear a mouse squeak from 200 yards away.
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Favorite call for Varmints - 11/30/14 08:49 PM

So what if the coyote is 210 yards away? whistle
Posted By: tannerlst

Re: Favorite call for Varmints - 12/01/14 01:42 AM

Mine was the same little red from Tj but the sucker got broke in my bag , I still have the long range version though
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum