Texas Hunting Forum

Pig Pipe

Posted By: Sand_Fly

Pig Pipe - 10/22/14 01:11 AM

Well, I made a pig pipe last weekend. Any tips or tricks for putting one out? Anybody have any luck with them?
Posted By: BrianMc

Re: Pig Pipe - 10/22/14 01:52 AM

I made one to put out too... subscribed for some tips!!
Posted By: Theblakester

Re: Pig Pipe - 10/22/14 02:38 AM

if you have extra PVC handy, then id suggest making one of them with bigger holes so the hogs figure out the concept and start using it faster, then switch it out with the pipe with smaller holes that way you arent spending extra money on corn having to constantly refill it bc the holes are too big and empty the corn too fast. http://lonestarboars.com/threads/hog-roll-barrel.40/
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Pig Pipe - 10/22/14 03:13 AM

cheers Theblakester also mix 1/4 marbles flag
Posted By: Txkiller

Re: Pig Pipe - 10/22/14 03:34 AM

I use plain corn and grape cool-aid, I put the pipe out last Thursday and I got one on the pipe already I just can't catch the bastard in the act!

Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Pig Pipe - 10/22/14 05:23 PM

Mine have three 5/8" holes in a pipe that's 5' long, and that seems to be enough. I would suggest carrying an extra eye bolt, some washers and locking nuts, and a wrench for the time when the hogs will eventually break what you put on it. A spare screw cap (pre-drilled for the eye bolt) might be good too. I made a large wrench that fits over the square end of the cap to help remove it when dirt and grit get into the threads, although a large pair of channel lock pliers will also work. I also have a spare chain quick link because I've had the hogs bend things up so badly that I couldn't get them open.

Right now I have one pig pipe with an eye bolt the hogs twisted until it came open. Luckily they didn't roll the pipe too far before they emptied it, and I found it again. I need to replace the eye bolt or bring that one home and weld it shut. It's the second time they've done that, and I think the more they bend them, the easier they bend the next time.
Posted By: jrgocards

Re: Pig Pipe - 10/22/14 06:16 PM

I would suggest using a very short line that won't wrap around the post. We used one way too long and the hogs always get it tangled up.

JR
Posted By: talkturkey

Re: Pig Pipe - 10/22/14 07:15 PM

We use one that is placed about 80 yards from the camp, anchored w/a T-post, then place a wireless sensor at it, when the pigs would come in, the sensor goes off in the camp. But, believe it or not, that after years of use (in the same spot), would seem the piggies have figured out when we're there, and will empty it when we're not there. bang
Posted By: spg

Re: Pig Pipe - 10/22/14 07:32 PM

educate me on the description of a pig pipe.
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Pig Pipe - 10/22/14 07:33 PM

http://www.wildhoghunters.com/content/424-how-build-pig-pipe.html
Posted By: Javelin225ho

Re: Pig Pipe - 10/23/14 01:30 AM

that's some crazy stuff….ive never seen anything like that before
Posted By: taco bender

Re: Pig Pipe - 10/23/14 04:06 PM

pig pipes have been around for time now. surprised people are just hearing about them.
Posted By: Txkiller

Re: Pig Pipe - 10/23/14 06:10 PM

Test plug makes it easy to fill back up up

Posted By: Byronstuff

Re: Pig Pipe - 10/25/14 03:15 PM

I read on this forum that the pigs are attracted to the smell of diesel.. Sounds strange, but worth a try..

Re: Pig Pipe - 10/25/14 04:01 PM

Originally Posted By: taco bender
pig pipes have been around for time now. surprised people are just hearing about them.

80's they were known as deer pipes, didn't have the hogs terrizing the place vaccination then flag

Re: Pig Pipe - 10/25/14 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Byronstuff
I read on this forum that the pigs are attracted to the smell of diesel.. Sounds strange, but worth a try..

scratch hmmm, diesel pipe, that's a knew one. flag
Posted By: p3ripperfw

Re: Pig Pipe - 10/25/14 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By: talkturkey
We use one that is placed about 80 yards from the camp, anchored w/a T-post, then place a wireless sensor at it, when the pigs would come in, the sensor goes off in the camp. But, believe it or not, that after years of use (in the same spot), would seem the piggies have figured out when we're there, and will empty it when we're not there. bang

Id be interested in this Sensor set up you have. Itd be nice to have that set up in my deer stand so I could just wait in the dark until it went off and be ready to hit with the kill light.
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Pig Pipe - 10/26/14 03:50 AM

I like pig pipes, but if you have large boars (300lb plus), they will pick them up and bring them where they want them! I made a couple and had to throw in the towel.....
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: Pig Pipe - 10/26/14 05:42 AM

Tip 1. I took some scrap steel and made this bracket to slip over a t-post and have something to attach the chain to. Lets them spin to their hearts content without getting bound. Only once have I had to go untangle it.

Tip 2. The eyebolt that you put through the endcap to attach the swivel and chain to, when you go to bolt together the eyebolt, put a little loc_tite on the threads. Mine got beat loose and came out. Had to go looking for my pipe.

Originally Posted By: p3ripperfw

Id be interested in this Sensor set up you have. Itd be nice to have that set up in my deer stand so I could just wait in the dark until it went off and be ready to hit with the kill light.

I don't know which one he's using, but the one I've recommended on here in the past is this one:

Chamberlain CWA2000

You can add up to three additional sensors, and we're running 3 kits out there right now. Furthest one is 250 yards away from the receiver, through trees and brush, and works just fine.
Posted By: Theblakester

Re: Pig Pipe - 10/26/14 11:22 AM

Originally Posted By: p3ripperfw

Frank (he just joined this forum) attaches cow bells to his roll barrels.. That way he can hear from
Much farther when they start knocking it around. He can also sit in the stand with his own cow bell and when he starts ringing it, if other hogs are in the area that use/have used his cow bell roll barrels before, they will hear it and come joins the corn eating party
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum