Texas Hunting Forum

First pig with the new suppressor

Posted By: ChipChipperson45

First pig with the new suppressor - 10/19/14 09:03 PM

Popped her right below the left ear with the 6.8. Dead immediately. Not even a curly shuffle. Was weird, bullet went in and turned hard right and followed the spine all the way up between the shoulder blades and stopped at the base of the neck.

This was my first kill with the 6.8 and suppressor.

Posted By: Txkiller

Re: First pig with the new suppressor - 10/19/14 09:10 PM

Nice rifle and kill
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: First pig with the new suppressor - 10/19/14 10:43 PM

Very nice!

Yeah, the terminal ballistics can do some very unexpected things. Sometimes seemingly good shots deflect in manners that don't do the expected damage. Yours did the opposite and did better than expected results given the placement.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: First pig with the new suppressor - 10/19/14 11:17 PM

cheers flag
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: First pig with the new suppressor - 10/19/14 11:54 PM

Awesome, keep shootin'
Posted By: TX Grubby

Re: First pig with the new suppressor - 10/20/14 12:40 AM

Nice! What distance?
Posted By: tth_40

Re: First pig with the new suppressor - 10/20/14 12:46 AM

Great job.

Nice shootin' iron as well. up
Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: First pig with the new suppressor - 10/20/14 01:27 AM

up
Posted By: Bearclaw

Re: First pig with the new suppressor - 10/20/14 01:41 AM

Nice job

Re: First pig with the new suppressor - 10/20/14 03:09 AM

Originally Posted By: TX Grubby
Nice! What distance?

About 75 yards. She was in a group of about 8 and looked like a winner. Not to big and not too small
Posted By: Javelin225ho

Re: First pig with the new suppressor - 10/20/14 10:14 PM

that's pretty awesome. i love the look of that rifle!
Posted By: WhoDat

Re: First pig with the new suppressor - 10/20/14 10:22 PM

Outstanding!

I'm also running with a couple suppressed 6.8s, though been having trouble locating hogs lately.
Posted By: Erich

Re: First pig with the new suppressor - 10/21/14 06:35 PM

so what did the other 7 do when you shot? is the gun quiet enough that they will stand around and let you shoot at them again?

for whatever little I know about it...I know when suppressing rounds...its not uncommon to load them down to slower ballistics....bullets that are travelling abnormally too fast or slow are more prone to do erratic things.

I had some extremely managed recoil loads that we put together for a .270....muzzled at barely 2000fps....they behaved strange as well.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: First pig with the new suppressor - 10/21/14 07:49 PM

So tell us, what did you think of the suppressor's ability (noise level) on the 6.8?
Posted By: Revoman

Re: First pig with the new suppressor - 10/21/14 08:49 PM

Hope to get my suppressor broken in with my 6.8 soon. Good job up

Re: First pig with the new suppressor - 10/21/14 09:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Erich
so what did the other 7 do when you shot? is the gun quiet enough that they will stand around and let you shoot at them again?

for whatever little I know about it...I know when suppressing rounds...its not uncommon to load them down to slower ballistics....bullets that are travelling abnormally too fast or slow are more prone to do erratic things.

I had some extremely managed recoil loads that we put together for a .270....muzzled at barely 2000fps....they behaved strange as well.

So, when I took the shot, the 2 or 3 that were nearest to her took off like a shot. The others that were in the area hesitated, ran a few feet,then looked back, then looked around, then took off. They were very confused. The un-suppressed shots I've taken in the past, the other hogs just make a flat out sprint away from the area. So, in my only experience so far, it slowed their flight just a bit. But, could have just been a fluke.

I think even if you were shooting a subsonic 300blkout, they would still have a somewhat similar reaction. Probably be a good question for TexasLawman. I'm sure he's going to have way more experience killing hogs suppressed than I do.

Re: First pig with the new suppressor - 10/21/14 09:42 PM

Originally Posted By: crapicat
So tell us, what did you think of the suppressor's ability (noise level) on the 6.8?

It was awesome. I would compare it to like a 22 short. All you are hearing is the crack of the bullet, which is not that loud. Not having to worry about hearing protection was great. Even better was not having the experience of getting all excited about an animal coming in, forgetting to put in ear plugs, and firing that 6.8 with a brake in a deer stand and being deaf for 2 days.
Posted By: Byronstuff

Re: First pig with the new suppressor - 11/03/14 03:04 AM

What type of can do you have? Were you using sub-sonic ammo?

Re: First pig with the new suppressor - 11/04/14 04:54 AM

It's a Silencerco Specwr 7.62. No, it was normal supersonic ammunition. 110 grain Hornady VMax sitting on H322 powder.

Originally Posted By: Byronstuff
What type of can do you have? Were you using sub-sonic ammo?
Posted By: Hard_ware

Re: First pig with the new suppressor - 11/04/14 03:33 PM

The suppressor makes shooting much more enjoyable in my opinion.

The critters are going to react to the noise of the bullet impact, and the noise the critter dying makes. With a DRT and no curly shuffle, others may wander off some may come back shortly, others heading to the feeder or area will continue to come in cuz they didn't hear anything they perceived as a threat. When the lead sow is hit DRT the smaller ones usually stick around. At night when it's pitch black out they may run then stop to listen for noise to know which way to run away from because they have no clue what just happened, I have seen this happen many times. Here is a video of thermal scope, mid way thru video (2min 38 sec mark) after shot one hog runs and then just stops, then well, wap! 6.8 pill delivered another DRT laugh

Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: First pig with the new suppressor - 11/04/14 04:45 PM

rifle tis proven fact, bullet is faster than speed of sound. .270 at less than 30 yrds on hog, no suppressor DRT. what's the price on the suppressor, were can ya buy one detail's. shot at hogs & had ta side step, ta keep from getting run over. solo hunt, i could have gotten hurt big time if not for my cat-like-reflexes. kept thinking scratch it gonna turn, straight as an arrow. & suppressor is easy on the ears. i don't wear ear plugs whin wondering about the woods on hog hunts. flag
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum