Texas Hunting Forum

Why can't I find a pig?

Posted By: 603Country

Why can't I find a pig? - 10/12/14 02:55 AM

I cannot find a darn pig on my place. If that wasn't bad enough, a buddy's wife sits on her front porch with an old ragged out bolt gun in 225 Winchester, with a Bushnell scope from the 70's, and she just keeps stacking those pigs up and sending me pictures. Killing me, it is. Not fair at all. And where does she even get the 225 ammo? Dang!
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Why can't I find a pig? - 10/12/14 12:00 PM

Two things:
1. Beware of the person with only one gun because they probably know how to use it.
2. She's a better hunter than you are - get over it. aim

Maybe her slop brings all the pigs to the yard? confused2
Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: Why can't I find a pig? - 10/12/14 12:27 PM

She's putting out more corn than you ?
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Why can't I find a pig? - 10/12/14 02:16 PM

That's easy. She isn't chasing them. She lives at where she hunts and is more vigilant than you.

Hunting isn't about being fair. If it was, the hogs and deer would have guns, too.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Why can't I find a pig? - 10/12/14 02:18 PM

I would consider it a blessing to not have any pigs. smile
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Why can't I find a pig? - 10/12/14 05:17 PM

225, that is great.
Sounds like you need a porch, not a blind.
Posted By: Hard_ware

Re: Why can't I find a pig? - 10/12/14 05:45 PM

Get a lease with hogs on it.

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Becareful what you wish for, you may miss a few of them.

I had a farmer that wanted them gone, after 3-4 months of shooting them several night a week and he did not have any pigs for over a year and a half. Well after about 6 mths his pork supply ran out, and he started missing a few of them.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Why can't I find a pig? - 10/12/14 06:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Hard_ware

I had a farmer that wanted them gone, after 3-4 months of shooting them several night a week and he did not have any pigs for over a year and a half. Well after about 6 mths his pork supply ran out, and he started missing a few of them.

We had something like that. We put out cameras and fed heavy during the off season, we had a heck of a time finding a pig for the traditional Saturday BBQ at the lease and something for the kids to hunt in the off season.
We started seeing a few pigs, then lots of piglets. We were eating good. Then there were hundreds of pigs, everywhere, it was an invasion. Daytime, nighttime, anytime, pigs all over the place. It was amazing how fast it happened. We went from not a pig to be seen to more than we could handle in 6 months. They took over the feeders, they would run off all of the deer.
We have hunted and trapped them hard. It is finally down to a manageable few. What we didn't kill must have run off under the pressure. Oddly we found ourselves managing pigs, crazy.
We do like to have them around some, but not like that.

Re: Why can't I find a pig? - 10/12/14 07:51 PM

With thermal rifle scopes and suppressors getting rid of hogs is not a problem. I don't hunt it's simply eradication when the farmers and ranchers need some critters gone I get a call. I don't pay to shoot critters, I don't take money for shooting them either so it's a win win for the property owner with a problem. I don't mind spending some fuel as it would cost me to get a lease and drive there as well.
Posted By: colt.45

Re: Why can't I find a pig? - 10/12/14 08:04 PM

popcorn as pappy always say's: hogs the other wild game flag
Posted By: udamdan

Re: Why can't I find a pig? - 10/12/14 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Vern1
Two things:
1. Beware of the person with only one gun because they probably know how to use it.
2. She's a better hunter than you are - get over it. aim

Maybe her slop brings all the pigs to the yard? confused2

Dats Funny right there roflmao
Posted By: M Bennet

Re: Why can't I find a pig? - 10/12/14 11:03 PM

Use dogs they will find them.lol good. Luck
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Why can't I find a pig? - 10/13/14 12:00 AM

I pulled all the camera memory cards today. I have had 1 big boar hog coming in to a feeder on a totally random basis and usually at 3ish in the morning. Guess I should call Karla to shoot him. She has been more effective than I have. Maybe with all this rain, they'll come back. Two years ago the pigs were plowing up my hay field with their snouts, and I wanted them gone. Pigs...Come back...come back.
Posted By: Rcinit

Re: Why can't I find a pig? - 10/13/14 02:09 AM

I got night vision will travel if you need some help
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Why can't I find a pig? - 10/13/14 03:30 AM

No pigs where I am either, I consider myself very, very lucky
Posted By: Chris001

Re: Why can't I find a pig? - 10/13/14 03:59 AM

I hadnt seen a pig for a year...wondering were the heck are they. Texas has 3 million hogs running around and i cant find 1. Well that ended in August and they havent left yet. I do enjoy them, and have fun with my kids going out and getting a couple of them now and then. Just got the pics from my camera and ive got deer and hogs eating corn at the same time....allthough not many pics like that, and a few good bucks showing up as well.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Why can't I find a pig? - 10/13/14 10:44 AM

I will NEVER miss a hog, ever up If the state could figure out a way to rid them from the state, I would be for it cheers There is not a farmer or ranch owner in my area that I have met that would feel any different than I do. My management practice is to kill everyone I see and keep traps baited for when they do move back in, so I can set the traps.
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: Why can't I find a pig? - 10/13/14 01:54 PM

Not everybody is a farmer or rancher. Lots of land going unused. Not all of us want the same thing. I enjoy hunting hogs and love hunting at night. They give us something we didn't have many years ago, year around hunting opportunities on a medium/large sized game that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to hunt. The meat is excellent. I can take friends, family and younguns out for a hog and keep them off the deer. No, I figger I'd miss having the hogs around. They have made for some great times. To each his own. up
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Why can't I find a pig? - 10/13/14 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: dfwroadkill
Not everybody is a farmer or rancher. Lots of land going unused. Not all of us want the same thing. I enjoy hunting hogs and love hunting at night. They give us something we didn't have many years ago, year around hunting opportunities on a medium/large sized game that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to hunt. The meat is excellent. I can take friends, family and younguns out for a hog and keep them off the deer. No, I figger I'd miss having the hogs around. They have made for some great times. To each his own. up

I mean.... its good but your getting a little carried away there.. How does it cost any more to shoot a deer than a pig?

Re: Why can't I find a pig? - 10/13/14 02:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
How does it cost any more to shoot a deer than a pig?

I meant it as I can have friends, family or young ones out to have the opportunity to hunt larger game without having them shoot something I don't want shot. They aren't paying anything to be there or do any work. Just there for fun. Make sense?

I prolly didn't say it well the first time.

Re: Why can't I find a pig? - 10/13/14 04:15 PM

I don't pay anything to shoot hogs.

Deer I don't care to shoot deer at this point in time I have killed my share in my younger days, gun & bow, but it's not free even refuge hunts charge.

Re: Why can't I find a pig? - 10/13/14 04:17 PM

I will NEVER miss a hog, ever up If the state could figure out a way to rid them from the state, I would be for it cheers There is not a farmer or ranch owner in my area that I have met that would feel any different than I do. My management practice is to kill everyone I see and keep traps baited for when they do move back in, so I can set the traps.

That will keep them under control on your property.
Now getting the neighbors to do the same will help even more.

Re: Why can't I find a pig? - 10/13/14 04:34 PM

That just means all the neighbors deer will want to be on your property

Re: Why can't I find a pig? - 10/13/14 04:49 PM

Deer I don't care to shoot deer at this point in time I have killed my share in my younger days, gun & bow, but it's not free even refuge hunts charge.

License cost money...

Re: Why can't I find a pig? - 10/13/14 07:33 PM

Originally Posted By: dfwroadkill

cheers +1 haven shot a deer in, no telling how many years. had plenty of oppertunities. seeing plenty of deer, just no hogs flag

Re: Why can't I find a pig? - 10/13/14 07:57 PM

How does it cost any more to shoot a deer than a pig?

scratch hmmm, for years it been a 1 buck only county, tried getting doe tags. had been seeing plenty of deer sitting in stand, at least 3 different bucks, & several does. at time not that many hogs. Were told not enough deer. few years back it went 4 deer, with the 13" rule. started seeing more hogs, concentrated on them. deer numbers doing good, hogs getting scarce. U, read posts on here just like every one else. Let deer walk to small to young. Kill them hogs Choot-em Choot-em. rofl doe's have been seen with 3fawns, usualy twins, & yotes bad weather ta name few get few. while sow, can have 5 an more, & twice a year. landowners want hogs gone, tear up property, yet most won't let ya hunt em for grillen & chillen. Flip flop of that is deer leases bring in money flag

Re: Why can't I find a pig? - 10/13/14 09:14 PM

License cost money...

Don't need one as I am an agent of landowner, I carry a notarized letter.
Already cleared with the local judge as well.
Ammo paid for by landowner, as I reload for both of us, when .223 ammo was hard to get, had 1000 67gr bthp ready to load laugh

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PW/htm/PW.42.htm

I do buy the super combo for fishing and bird hunting if I decide to go.

Section 42.002 sub section c

Re: Why can't I find a pig? - 10/13/14 11:12 PM

License cost money...

Ammo paid for by landowner, as I reload for both of us, when .223 ammo was hard to get, had 1000 67gr bthp ready to load laugh

don't need licence ta shoot hogs & let lay. kill a hog ta grill & chill U need a hunting licence flag

Re: Why can't I find a pig? - 10/14/14 03:40 AM

I do not leave them in the fields, but as a landowners agent law states no license required.
Does not state under any conditions, ie.. if you leave them in the fields.
Texas state law is posted read it.

Please post link to the State statue that says I must leave them in the field.

Re: Why can't I find a pig? - 10/14/14 07:18 PM

Yall got feeders running on your places?

Re: Why can't I find a pig? - 10/14/14 07:30 PM

24/7/365 on mine...

Re: Why can't I find a pig? - 10/14/14 11:00 PM

I do not leave them in the fields, but as a landowners agent law states no license required.
Does not state under any conditions, ie.. if you leave them in the fields.
Texas state law is posted read it.

Please post link to the State statue that says I must leave them in the field.

if U refering ta what i posted above this post. re read it. didn't say U had to leave them in field. Are U saying i can kill a hog here with out a hunting license & if game warden comes here & i'm skinning it, he can't right me up. flag

Re: Why can't I find a pig? - 10/15/14 12:00 AM

Originally Posted By: colt.45

License cost money...

. kill a hog tdon't need licence ta shoot hogs & let laya grill & chill U need a hunting licence flag

Sec. 42.002. RESIDENT LICENSE REQUIRED; EXEMPTION. (a) Except as provided by Subsections (b) and (c) of this section, no resident may hunt any bird or animal in this state without having acquired a hunting license.

(b) A resident possessing a valid resident trapper's license or fur-bearing animal propagation permit is not required to have a license issued under this section to take or possess the species covered by the license or permit.

(c) A resident landowner or the landowner's agent or lessee may take feral hogs causing depredation on the resident landowner's land without having acquired a hunting license.

These are the only exemptions as to not having to have a hunting license under the law I can find.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Why can't I find a pig? - 10/17/14 06:48 AM

just make sure the depredation is not caused because you are feeding them or license is required...just heard that tonight by GW...

Re: Why can't I find a pig? - 10/17/14 01:33 PM

scratch hmmm, what happened ta the "good info" post, it's gone missing. wasted my money on a licence for hunten hogs flag
Posted By: HAWKEYE911

Re: Why can't I find a pig? - 10/20/14 02:13 PM

That's because I have all of them. No deer on my camera so far, just pigs.
[img:center]http://[/img]
[img:center]http://[/img]

Re: Why can't I find a pig? - 10/20/14 03:07 PM

Originally Posted By: crapicat
just make sure the depredation is not caused because you are feeding them or license is required...just heard that tonight by GW...

cheers its called loop-holes us pow falks use den ta hold up our britches with rope. rofl bait & switch tis another term, i ben pudden de corn out fur deer Judge, see it says so right hera, ( holding up empty bag of deer corn ) 90 days. but Judge ol buddy ol pal. rofl hunting licence not that expensive, that's why last year, sat & watched hogs until could get ta town & get a hunten licence. ready this year, thhis thread says it all. over 4million hogs, less than 2thousand killed last year, checked the numbers for this year, hogs can have piggies twice a year, 4-5 give or take scratch location, location, location lot of unsung hero's out thar best wishes flag

Re: Why can't I find a pig? - 11/10/14 10:29 PM

scratch i'm timewarping rofl this post is at top of page 1 whin click on In the Field . rofl i'm not muyloco i've been tested flag

Re: Why can't I find a pig? - 11/11/14 02:27 PM

Originally Posted By: 603Country
I cannot find a darn pig on my place. If that wasn't bad enough, a buddy's wife sits on her front porch with an old ragged out bolt gun in 225 Winchester, with a Bushnell scope from the 70's, and she just keeps stacking those pigs up and sending me pictures. Killing me, it is. Not fair at all. And where does she even get the 225 ammo? Dang!

any up dates? is your buddy's wife named Anny by chance? the 23 of last month tis last time seen hide or hair of hogs &that was a one day photo op. don't know what happened, if their was a glitch on system or what. timewarp whin clicked on the In the Field, hogs, varmints, & small games your post was at top. it has done it few times in past. could just be this android being a hemarrhoid in the astroid. just wondering if ya been seeing any thing lately. my posts are cheep flag
© 2019 Texas Hunting Forum