Texas Hunting Forum

Anderson County Deer and hawgs

Posted By: fish123

Anderson County Deer and hawgs - 10/12/14 01:58 AM

We will be hunting new land in Anderson county North of Crockett. Can you guys that know the area comment on the size of the deer in the area? Is the hog population in that area really bad that they run off all the deer?

Thanks!

Re: Anderson County Deer and hawgs - 10/12/14 02:09 AM

Can anyone talk about the hog population in the area?
Posted By: PWT

Re: Anderson County Deer and hawgs - 10/12/14 05:18 AM

East Texas has been turning out some nice bucks since antler restrictions were introduced, the antler quality and pig numbers should be good depending on the previous management of your place. I personally like the area, Good luck to ya!
Posted By: Kowmonger

Re: Anderson County Deer and hawgs - 10/12/14 05:36 PM

Family has a ranch not far from Houston county lake which is about 30min from Crockett. A neighbor shot something I believe in the upper 160's range on the land we have now about 10 years ago. See hog tracks near water, lots of torn up field from time to time and occasionally see a dozen or so running across the fields. Deer population would probably be better if there were less hogs.

Re: Anderson County Deer and hawgs - 10/12/14 07:25 PM

Thanks for the posts. I like the area also. Anyone else have any experience with the area?
Posted By: lmd59

Re: Anderson County Deer and hawgs - 10/13/14 04:16 PM

I have a 71 acre place between Palestine and Athens in Anderson County. We have plenty of hogs and some deer. I haven't seen any monster deer yet, but I have only owned my place since last October and didn't hunt it last year. I am loaded down with acorns right now so I am not seeing a lot of bucks at the feeders. I have a oats/wheat food plot that is growing well, but still not seeing the deer right now. I have 6-7 different bucks on camera from the summer.

Re: Anderson County Deer and hawgs - 10/13/14 05:23 PM

We are south of Palestine and have a ton of acorns also with a creek that runs thru the middle of it. I saw lots of hog tracks near the creek and several game trails around the creek. I would also like to setup up a food plot next year. Right now we still have lots of work to do.

How big is your food plot?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum