Texas Hunting Forum

Coyotes eating cottonseed?

Posted By: kry226

Coyotes eating cottonseed? - 09/25/14 12:25 PM

My place is surrounded on three sides by cotton fields. Anyone ever known yotes to eat cottonseed?

Found some scat full of it. Cotton fields have always been there, but this is the first time I've seen this.

Posted By: Dennis in Ft Worth

Re: Coyotes eating cottonseed? - 09/25/14 09:26 PM

Yep, they'll do that, especially when they can't get a bran muffin-
Posted By: maxscm

Re: Coyotes eating cottonseed? - 09/26/14 01:48 AM

Yote scat here has whole kernel corn.
Or persimmon seeds.
Corn Silage harvest is under way now.
Persimmons are falling.

Re: Coyotes eating cottonseed? - 09/26/14 02:11 PM

I know yotes are known for eating just about anything, but I've never seen cottonseed on the menu or in scat. It surprised me, especially with all the rain we've had this spring and summer and the abundance of food.
Posted By: shightower

Re: Coyotes eating cottonseed? - 09/28/14 01:47 PM

Interesting. That coyote ought to be dead or dying from gossy pol poisoning. All of them need to eat cotton seed and die. May be vomit and not scat??

Re: Coyotes eating cottonseed? - 09/30/14 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: shightower
Interesting. That coyote ought to be dead or dying from gossy pol poisoning. All of them need to eat cotton seed and die. May be vomit and not scat??

Definitely scat. While the pic doesn't show it, the pile had perfect "fecal formation" if you know what I mean. Actually, I think I saw another pile a few hundred yards away that looked the same. Full of cottonseed. Your gossypol comment got me to thinking and I searched and found this from Wiki:
Quote:
Toxicity and potential food source[edit]

Food and animal agricultural industries must manage cotton-derivative product levels to avoid toxicity. For example, only ruminant microflora can digest gossypol, but only to a certain level, and cottonseed oil must be refined.

A research team at Texas A&M University has genetically engineered cotton plants that contain very little gossypol in the seed, but still contain the compound in the stems and leaves. This provides protection against pests and diseases, while allowing the seed to be used for oil and meal for human consumption. The plants are modified by RNA interference, shutting down the genes for gossypol production in the seed, while leaving them unaffected in the rest of the plant. The resulting gossypol-free cottonseed is then suitable as a high-quality protein source suitable for consumption not only by cattle, but also by humans. Protein makes up 23% of the cottonseed.

Maybe this is why the yotes are able to eat and survive?
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Coyotes eating cottonseed? - 09/30/14 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: shightower
we use to feed cotton seed bought from the gins to cattle
Posted By: shightower

Re: Coyotes eating cottonseed? - 10/02/14 06:17 PM

Ruminantes can eat cotton seed ( cattle, deer, goats, sheep, etc.) Monogastrics can not.

Re: Coyotes eating cottonseed? - 10/03/14 11:57 AM

Well I guess I've just got a suicidal coyote on my hands. Or had... confused2
Posted By: Byronstuff

Re: Coyotes eating cottonseed? - 11/03/14 03:11 AM

You may have Eli Whitney crapping in your yard...
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum