Texas Hunting Forum

first freeze to hunt rabbits?

Posted By: ETexas Hunter

first freeze to hunt rabbits? - 09/11/14 11:48 PM

I know that this subject has been covered, but how many of y'all wait till the first freeze to start taking rabbits? I know one rule of thumb is to only take them in months with 'R', but what rules do you abide by?
Posted By: dredd

Re: first freeze to hunt rabbits? - 09/12/14 01:56 AM

When I was growing up, I'd take a rabbit any time I could.
I ate a lot of fried cotton tailed bunnies.
I don't remember seeing any "suspect" carcasses.
I don't think my grandpa would have cooked anything that was suspect.
He would have also told me about any issues.
I also like tree rats.
Grandpa made possum stew once.... ONCE.
That was some baaaaaaad stuff!!!! LOL
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: first freeze to hunt rabbits? - 09/12/14 02:49 AM

Originally Posted By: dredd
When I was growing up, I'd take a rabbit any time I could.
I ate a lot of fried cotton tailed bunnies.
I don't remember seeing any "suspect" carcasses.
I don't think my grandpa would have cooked anything that was suspect.
He would have also told me about any issues.
I also like tree rats.
Grandpa made possum stew once.... ONCE.
That was some baaaaaaad stuff!!!! LOL

I also get them any time I can but the hunting is best in the winter. I tried frying rabbits 1 time but the meat was so tough. After that it was only rabbit stew or pie, much tender meat.
Posted By: pickaspot

Re: first freeze to hunt rabbits? - 09/12/14 06:58 PM

Rabbit meat is good year round. I was always told the reason for shooting them in the months with "R" in them was for prevention of possibly transmitting diseases that are more prevalent in the warmer months like rabbit fever.
Posted By: Harrier

Re: first freeze to hunt rabbits? - 09/12/14 07:16 PM

It has been covered before. There's no need to wait for a freeze or an R month. Rabbit meat is good year-round. If you don't see any problems when you're skinning/gutting the rabbit, it's good. Rabbit hunting is some of my favorite hunting, and rabbit jambalaya and rabbit pot pie are delicious.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: first freeze to hunt rabbits? - 09/12/14 07:58 PM

Originally Posted By: ETexas Hunter
I know that this subject has been covered, but how many of y'all wait till the first freeze to start taking rabbits? I know one rule of thumb is to only take them in months with 'R', but what rules do you abide by?

No need to wait for the first freeze, the only in "R" months is a myth. The only worms I've ever seen have been in the Winter. I shoot them year round, always have - no issues. Shot another one Saturday night pig hunting, bout to fry him up!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum