Texas Hunting Forum

Are Rattlesnakes a real Threat?

Posted By: Wisemd123

Are Rattlesnakes a real Threat? - 08/17/14 10:55 PM

Hey everyone, hope your all doing well! I haven't been Hog hunting at Granger for a while, but I plan on going this week. The last time i went in late spring, the grass started getting pretty high. I can only imagine what type of jungle it is now. My question is, how wary should I be of rattlesnakes in the grass? Or anything for that matter. How serious is the threat?
Posted By: thruxton

Re: Are Rattlesnakes a real Threat? - 08/17/14 11:01 PM

I haven't been to granger in ages. Let me know how it goes.

I've been out walking in thick brush out in Lampasas twice this month and haven't ran into anything.
Posted By: cthunter

Re: Are Rattlesnakes a real Threat? - 08/18/14 12:20 AM

Threat or not is it worth the hospital visit? I would use caution, cause you just never know.
Posted By: sango10

Re: Are Rattlesnakes a real Threat? - 08/18/14 12:56 AM

Use caution have not heard of very many snake stories this year,maybe because its been wetter than usual
Posted By: Mr Redneck

Re: Are Rattlesnakes a real Threat? - 08/18/14 02:38 AM

Spend $40 and get ya some snake leggings, IT"S CHEAP INSURANCE !!

Re: Are Rattlesnakes a real Threat? - 08/18/14 02:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Mr Redneck
Spend $40 and get ya some snake leggings, IT"S CHEAP INSURANCE !!

Thats kinda what I was thinking! What type are the best? Straight up snake chaps?

Re: Are Rattlesnakes a real Threat? - 08/18/14 02:48 AM

I like chaps, but either is better than nothing.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Are Rattlesnakes a real Threat? - 08/18/14 02:49 AM

All snakes enjoy tall grass, including rattlesnakes, as that's where the mice, rats and rabbits hang. I've found several when parting tall weeds with my gun barrel looking for downed doves.

+1 on the leggings
Posted By: N.La.Beagler

Re: Are Rattlesnakes a real Threat? - 08/18/14 05:01 AM

Originally Posted By: teedubyaw
I haven't been to granger in ages. Let me know how it goes.

I've been out walking in thick brush out in Lampasas twice this month and haven't ran into anything.

I bet you have, and didn't know it. I'd probably stop going outside if I knew how many I've walked past without knowing it.

Re: Are Rattlesnakes a real Threat? - 08/19/14 10:35 PM

I've heard that for every one you see that you walked by four that you didn't see.
Posted By: BigBucky2014

Re: Are Rattlesnakes a real Threat? - 08/20/14 04:42 AM

Get some chaps or boots. I agree it isn't worth the risk, especially this time of year. We killed a big one on our lease 2 weekends ago. Dove season is always an active time. We've killed big rattlers each of the past 2 years. My hunting buddies don't think much of it, but I wear my snake boots and my son wears chaps.

Good luck.
Posted By: Antler Addicts

Re: Are Rattlesnakes a real Threat? - 08/20/14 05:33 AM

snake chaps are the best if walking through thorny brush like in south texas, but they are very hot.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Are Rattlesnakes a real Threat? - 08/20/14 09:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Mr Redneck
I've heard that for every one you see that you walked by four that you didn't see.

I bet it is more than that. I walked a yucca patch a while back that we were clearing, and we never saw a single snake. By the time the guys had finished clearing it, they had killed 10 rattlers. I can't imagine that they even saw them all.
I have been told that there is a rattler per acre in our area. That field had more than that, as we only cleared 5 acres.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Are Rattlesnakes a real Threat? - 08/20/14 11:18 AM

I think your more likely to get heat stroke wearing those chaps than you are to get snake bit. I have only had one friend bitten by a rattler and he was playing with it. I have come close several times and my son was struck on the boot last year. Almost every bird dog I had growing up got bitten. Every time they got it on the head. I had one dog bitten three times. the first time his head swelled up like a melon and I let him sleep in the kitchen for a week so I could take care of him. After the third time it hardly swelled up at all.

I think guards and boots are a good idea if your in the tall grass but there's no way I'd wear those chaps in this heat.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Are Rattlesnakes a real Threat? - 08/20/14 12:11 PM

I bet if we ask the boys that have been bitten, they would unanimously implore people to wear snake protection. I've had snake boots for a couple of years, but now that my family is joining me more for hunting, I got my wife her first pair this weekend, and the kids' youth chaps should arrive today.

Wasn't there a toddler killed on a playground at Possum Kingdom a couple of years back? Why risk it?

http://www.snakeboots.com/
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Are Rattlesnakes a real Threat? - 08/20/14 12:23 PM

its mostly about temps, if the ground is shaded or not, in the heat of the day, they are going to looking for a cool shady spot, evenings they start moving. in this heat, boots, be careful stepping over logs etc.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Are Rattlesnakes a real Threat? - 08/20/14 01:49 PM

I wear boots.
Posted By: little nate

Re: Are Rattlesnakes a real Threat? - 08/20/14 08:09 PM

i dont go deer hunting with out them or at least where i hunt boots are you best chance mine go up to my knee
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Are Rattlesnakes a real Threat? - 08/23/14 11:03 AM

I've never heard about anyone but hunters wearing snake protection. Ever seen a landowner wearing snake boots or chaps? The darn things are hot and uncomfortable. I only wear jeans and either sneakers or low work boots. All landowners do. I own land and the snakes are there. I'm sure that more snakes see me than I see. I've come uncomfortably close a couple of times but have only found one aggressive rattler in the last 35 years of owning my own place. I don't sweat it.

I only kill them if they're around the house, tractors, etc. I have a mobile home, affectionately called my poor white trailer house, and it is under pinned. Due to the lack of mice and their droppings in the house, I'm betting that there is a rattle snake under there. It doesn't bother me. It's welcome to all the mice it wants. They also keep down the mice that chew wires on my equipment. I wish they would get more of the mice.

I've never PERSONALLY known anyone that has been snake bit. I know it happens but is pretty darn rare.

Re: Are Rattlesnakes a real Threat? - 08/23/14 09:31 PM

Oh ok cool, thanks! My main concern was trudging through a lot of really tall grass where I can't see where I'm stepping.
Posted By: deerdude2000

Re: Are Rattlesnakes a real Threat? - 08/24/14 04:21 AM

I'm a rancher in Freer in deep south texas i don't wear snake boots or chaps. But i don't go walking through tall grass where i can't see!!!
Posted By: texasbowhunter321

Re: Are Rattlesnakes a real Threat? - 08/26/14 04:02 AM

After my last trip to east Texas, Yes I wear good boots with snake guards, and the same for the rest of the family.

I never saw so many cotton mouths and timber rattlers on one property before. It was in Red River county.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Are Rattlesnakes a real Threat? - 08/26/14 10:07 AM

Well said deerdude. Common sense beats armor every time.

Something to think about is that the snake can't regulate it's body temp. In warmer weather it will be in shade. When the temps drop some, it will be in the sun.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Are Rattlesnakes a real Threat? - 08/26/14 10:46 AM

Some these days might say armor is common sense. You just never know.
Posted By: bnoyle

Re: Are Rattlesnakes a real Threat? - 08/26/14 08:09 PM

Wife got bit while 5 miles in to a 10 mile trail run in 2007. As you can imagine, getting your heart rate up around 155 and getting bit ain't the greatest thing. Earned her a helicopter ride, 2 weeks in ICU, 18 vials of anti-venom, and a 6 figure hospital bill. Boots for me...
Posted By: HogBane

Re: Are Rattlesnakes a real Threat? - 08/27/14 12:36 AM

Yes,they are and don't forget the Copperheads. I ware Danner 18" Snake Boot. Haven't tested them on a snake yet but they have saved me from many cactus bites and a few Briar and mesquite thorns too.
Posted By: HOG RUSH

Re: Are Rattlesnakes a real Threat? - 08/27/14 08:24 PM

Originally Posted By: bnoyle
Wife got bit while 5 miles in to a 10 mile trail run in 2007. As you can imagine, getting your heart rate up around 155 and getting bit ain't the greatest thing. Earned her a helicopter ride, 2 weeks in ICU, 18 vials of anti-venom, and a 6 figure hospital bill. Boots for me...

Great advice. I use the Snake leg guards and provide them to my guests. I have killed 2 four foot Rattlesnakes in the last week on the highway.

Snake strikes are nothing to take lightly. Chances of not making it are high when in remote areas.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum