Texas Hunting Forum

watch yer step!

Posted By: Luke27

watch yer step! - 08/04/14 01:26 AM

Last night my father in law shot a pig on his lease outside of Llano. It ran about 20 yards an dropped by the fence. So we start walking down the pasture road beside the fence. I was shining my spotlight looking for the body when things went south. I felt my left boot come down on something soft and heard the rattle at the same time. I looked down and my heart just sank. I stepped on a 4 1/2ft diamondback rattlesnake as big around as my forearm. He coulda tagged me easy, but shot out into the cactus. I screamed like a little girl and jumped back. I didnt even kill it, was shaking like a leaf on a tree as I started thanking the good lord for keeping me safe and trying to light my cigarette.

Stay safe out there gents and keep an eye on where your walking. ( nice eatin sow was recovered after)
Posted By: Fowlman

Re: watch yer step! - 08/04/14 01:55 AM

Pretty sure I would have had to change my underwear after that . crazy
Posted By: Texaslawman

Re: watch yer step! - 08/04/14 02:23 AM

Oh man I'm not scared of snakes but that would have shook me up also! That is the one good thing about the feral hogs they eat the snakes!
Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: watch yer step! - 08/04/14 02:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Fowlman

Yep
Posted By: Txkiller

Re: watch yer step! - 08/04/14 03:01 AM

You're lucky!
Posted By:

Re: watch yer step! - 08/04/14 04:47 AM

Sheesh, one little cascabel and you get your ovaries in a twist. Hope you didn't break a heel running away Nancy. grin

Chupa
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: watch yer step! - 08/07/14 03:12 AM

I hate wearing my snake boots, but I wear them when I'm hunting, or working at the lease. Better safe than sorry.
Posted By: sillyhorses

Re: watch yer step! - 08/07/14 04:40 AM

My snake boots are always on. Bet you were wishing you had a pair on right then!
Posted By: Theblakester

Re: watch yer step! - 08/07/14 10:05 AM

Thanks for sharing. Good reminder to stay aware... And maybe get some snake boots. Thanks for sharing and congrats on that pig
Posted By: texaspirate

Re: watch yer step! - 08/07/14 01:27 PM

I shoot skeet with a guy who looks life his left leg was taken by jaws... Told me it was a rattler and he spent a month in the hospital... I mentioned snake boots. He was wearing them... He sat down in his ground blind and thought a wasp hit him behind the knee.... Turned around ....rattler who didn't rattle.....Just hit him..he shot it with his rifle in the blind. . I always wear my Chippewa boots....... And I'm still mindful that I will likely never see it coming.... Praise God for watching over you that day brother and for the rest of us so far as well
Posted By: TexasLandAgent

Re: watch yer step! - 08/07/14 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Lance Vick
Originally Posted By: Fowlman

Yep

Yep
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum