Texas Hunting Forum

runnin dogs in summer

Posted By: Honkey911

runnin dogs in summer - 07/30/14 02:14 AM

i only run my dogs in winter with vest/cut collars whole nine yards i was talking to a guy yesterday he runs all year long with no vest in summer just cut collar does any body else do that or is he bsin
Posted By: Mike Savoy

Re: runnin dogs in summer - 07/30/14 03:14 AM

My bulldogs dont get sent to a bay without a vest and cut collar. My bay dogs only wear cut collars. Well, two wear cut collars, the other dont. I only hunt the first few hours of daylight during the summer.
Posted By: fonzie

Re: runnin dogs in summer - 07/30/14 10:26 AM

I have a buddy that wind vest up a cd during the summer but he don't send him till he's 30 yards or less.... My dogs are fully vested all year long I soak my vest in ice water in the summer and basically hunt at night... Can't wait for cooler weather for them day time hunts!!!
Posted By: SwampHunterFw

Re: runnin dogs in summer - 07/30/14 02:27 PM

Same thing as fonzie I put vest in cooler an keep it wet an make sure the cd drinks pleanty of water an dot turn him loose to far out from bay ,

Re: runnin dogs in summer - 07/30/14 05:12 PM

k but all most all my baydogs are rough as hec but the ice water idea is good but think im gonna stick to cold weather ive allready spent way to much money at vet
Posted By: Mike Savoy

Re: runnin dogs in summer - 07/30/14 09:48 PM

Always wondered by people claim it is cooler at night.
Posted By: M Bennet

Re: runnin dogs in summer - 07/30/14 11:36 PM

I hunt vest yr round on rough dogs an cd.as it gets hotter we leave later.an sometimes soak vest.but I hood an rig hunt.
Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: runnin dogs in summer - 07/31/14 07:17 PM

Most of the guys I hunt with only have collars on their strike dogs. Vests on the catch dogs.
We run year round. Only in early morning or at night In the summer. Just get the hounds plenty of water and put em in the box when they start getting tired.

Re: runnin dogs in summer - 08/03/14 04:13 AM

My two best dogs will flat get out of the county if you dont shut em down and if they got hot and stroked out id be out lot of money
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum