Texas Hunting Forum

Black Panther Sighting

Posted By: Redneck_Hunter

Black Panther Sighting - 11/02/05 01:46 PM

Probably not, but I have to tell ya'll about it anyway. Last night my wife called me on her cell phone as she was driving home. She was only about 1 mile from the house when she saw it. She asked me if we had any black panthers in the area. I said probably not, and she went on to say that it looked like a big cat. I thought it might be a bobcat, but then she said it had a long tail.

Given the fact that there's a spring fed pond in the area where she saw it, I think it was probably an otter. I've seen them when I've been fishing in this pond, and when they run on land, they sort of look like a big cat.

Posted By: Big Orn

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 11/03/05 08:37 PM

Like I've posted before, there's been plenty of sightings of large black cats near our old home place in New Colony (south of Atlanta, TX)...which means I'm not the only one that's seen one. Thing is there's never been one killed or a dead body found.
Hadn't figured it out yet, but I'm sure there's an explanation.

Maybe what I saw wasn't a panther at all, but that sight will stick with me all my life.

I have heard that hipnotism can bring clarity to memories, but if They don't go back far enough, they're liable to hear something worse than black panthers...

Posted By: TheHag

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 11/03/05 09:57 PM

Our tan colored lion was spotted this week about a mile from my house. Guess she moved a little. Lots of development in the area now. But, rather than move away from the direction of the new homes, she moved up into them. Guess there used to be a lot of little city raised poodles that got moved out there too.

Posted By: skillz1982

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 11/03/05 10:50 PM

Until i see a picture of a black panther in texas i still cant believe they exist here. Jaguarundi, bobcats, and even hogs have been claimed to be black panthers, but the proof is in the pic, hate for someone to kill one if they do exist just to prove it.

Posted By: tgil

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 11/04/05 06:09 AM

I went and looked at some lease property today. I leased from this lady about 8 years ago. We got to talking about that piece of property and what do ya know, Somebody saw a black panther on it after we left it! I immediately thought of my fellow THFers.

Posted By: Crazyhorse

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 11/04/05 11:18 AM

Yes, but as has been said on here many times, pictures ain't gonna get. Pictures are too easy to fake. It will have to be an actual specimen, live or dead, but something that biologists can actually examine.

As I have said before, I would love to see someone either kill or trap one, just to prove that it is possible, but I don't see it ever happening.

Now what TheHag was talking about, is a lot more common than what most folks want to believe. There is probably a substantially larger population of lions in Texas than people realize.

It is almost like the things, if they exist are mystical or magical. I mean there was never one killed by an Indian, in fact in the research I have done on Indians, I have never found any reference to a big black cat. They must never really cross highways, because by now, one would have been hit by a vehicle. They either disappear completely during hunting seasons, and predator calls don't attract them. They evidently have some pyschiatric powers, as they never expose themselves to people that would shoot on sight.

It is a fun topic, and the thoughts that something like a black mountain lion actually exist are neat, but fortunately or unfortunately as each persons point of view may be on this subject, it is going to take a carcass, live or dead, to verify that it was there.

Posted By: drumslinger

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 11/05/05 04:30 AM

As I understand it Black Panthers do absolutely exist but only in S. Florida. No, I've never seen one. Yes, they're protected. I really have seen panther crossing signs (near high fenced roadways) in S. FL.

Posted By: tgil

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 11/05/05 12:57 PM

Crossing signs....Hmmm..That brings to mind the black dancing deer in Texas and most other states for that matter. Though I've never actually seen one or a photo, they must exist because I see signs all over the highways. Big yellow signs with a black deer that looks like it's dancing. lol!

Posted By: JMS

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 11/05/05 01:24 PM

There was an article in the Dallas paper about a sighting near Canton recently. I think they found a dead calf that was kind of hidden, so that he could come and eat it later.

Posted By: JMS

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 11/05/05 01:53 PM

correction to above post; The article was in the local Cedar Creek Lake area paper. "themonitor.net"

http://www.themonitor.net/frontpage.htm#lion

Posted By: OFBHWG

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 11/07/05 01:31 AM

HERE WE GO AGAIN. YALL DO THIS JUST TO GET ME FIRED UP.
AINT NO SUCH THING NOPE NADA NO NONE NAUGHT.

Posted By: FamousAmos

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 11/07/05 01:30 PM

The do exist! I saw a couple when I was a kid - watching the Mexico City Olympics.

Posted By: Sundial

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 11/20/05 03:07 AM

Florida panthers are not black although many people believe they are. Florida panthers are tawny (the same color as deer). The fur on their bellies and the inside of their legs is lighter, and the fur on their backs, tails, and legs is darker. In the summer of 2000, biologists found two kittens with very light fur, but no one has ever found a black panther.

When Europeans first came to Florida, they thought they were seeing tigers or leopards. At the time leopards were called panthers. Some early settlers called Florida's big cats "tigers." Others called them "panthers." The name panther stuck, and that's why Florida's big cat is called panther today.

Panthers most frequently die from fights with other panthers and from collisions with cars and trucks.

http://www.panther.state.fl.us/rosie/describe.html

Anyhow, I spotted one recently, and here's proof!

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 11/21/05 09:04 PM

What did you Spot him with, Invisible Ink.

Posted By: timbertoes

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 11/22/05 02:01 AM

I know the general whereabouts of one.

I aint saying, and maybe one day, I will bag it.

I aint seen it. But have heard about it from several people.

only had 1 , no wait, 1-1/2 beers.

and I am actually serious!

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/04/05 01:34 AM

Am I totally wrong, or have we discovered one of the secrets to Black Panther longevity. Do they migrate out of state when deer season starts and everybody is packing a gun. Just Curious.

Posted By: heeeerod

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/04/05 01:46 AM

Black panthers are kewl man...I was at this party one time and one pulled up in a Corvette. Her name was Tina...man was she hot. And those heels! I was totally trippin, man. I was just about to get a picture...ya know for you guys...and her date...a Yeti...got out and slapped the camera outta my hand. I was all like "DUDE!!" and he was all like.."lay off my date, punk!" Friggin foreigners...anyway....what were we talking about?

Posted By: SaginawHunter

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/04/05 02:43 AM

Thanks heeeerod I needed that been a long hard day

Posted By: cccduckkid

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/14/05 09:39 PM

In east texas, near athens at our place we have had several sighting's i have only seen one black panther ran across the headlights. When my dad was younger and new to our club he saw one tear through a deer blind and ran back to say what he saw. of course no one believed him...two weeks later two were shot 10 miles south near Gus Engling WMA believe me they are around.....

Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/14/05 09:49 PM

Posted By: txcornhusker

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/14/05 11:24 PM

What?!?

Oh, I can't wait for the posts to come about a black panther being shot!!

Posted By: Bradbury

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/14/05 11:28 PM

Didn't we have a sighting on this forum last year? LOL

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/14/05 11:31 PM

HOW BOUT THEM 8X10 COLOR GLOSSIES

OOPS IM SORRY I BET YOU CAMERA WAS OUT OF FILM.
OR YOU DIDNT HAVE ONE
OR WHAT EVER.

IMOHO TSBS

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/15/05 12:13 AM

Let's see, cause I know everyone is waiting for me to bale off into this one, so here goes. Consider this as my Christmas present to the membership on The Forum.

1. No one has ever killed one.

2. No one ever sees one during deer season when they are carrying a loaded gun. Black panthers must have some Psychic powers that we just do not understand, but they are able to distinguish some one that is harmless from someone that is ready, willing, and able, to kill their a$$.

3. I have forgotten where it stands now, around $400.00 I think, that will be put toward the full body mount, of a real black mountain lion. Not a black leopard or jaguar, as those animals do exist.

4. From the research I have done, there is NO mention of a big black cat in any of the American Indian legends or religious beliefs.

5. Not counting the visit by the vikings in 1050 a.d., europeans have been on this continent, for approximately 513 years. No verifiable evidense of a black mountain lion.

6. Not only can these incredibly psychicly gifted creatures avoid people that would kill them, they are also able to avoid trail cams, and automobiles. Normal mountain lions are unable to avoid all of these.

As I have said before, I would love to see someone kill an authentic, verifiable, black mountain lion. It ain't happened, and I feel pretty confident that it won't.

And before I forget, someone is saving me a crow so I can eat it when a black mountain lion is killed, I just really hope it ain't too freezer burned.

cccduckkid, Welcome to The Forum, everybody on here is not as big an A$$ as me, and the subject of black panthers/black mountain lions is fun as hell, and I am not meaning to offend you or make fun of you, but realistically, there is no way that one or two actual animals would not have been killed by this time. Law of averages says that they can only dodge a bullet or a cadillac so long.

Hope you enjoy The Forum, as there are some really great folks on here with lots of knowledge.

Posted By: ilike2hunt2

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/15/05 12:28 AM

I grew up at Lake Fork and saw one in the late 80's. There was a sighting in the same area that year. Maybe it was the aliens, Elvis or a really fast Angus bull. Either way, I know I saw what I thought was a black cat.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/15/05 12:38 AM

Welcome to The Forum.

Can someone get me some grated Parmesan cheese for my Popcorn and another Heineken, PLEASE.

Posted By: skillz1982

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/15/05 05:31 AM

I saw a black mountain lion walk through the backyard last Christmas eve.
Later that night I heard a thud on the roof.
Went outside and couldnt believe my eyes.
Santa was sitting in his sleigh, but no Reindeer.
It was the Chupacabra himself pulling Santa's sleigh

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/15/05 10:49 AM

Now I heard a feller on KERA, you know, that there public edgycation channel on the radio.

Well this here guy said that they had been monitoring an experiment Santy Claus had been doing, trying to get chupacabras to fly his sled.

The hard part was getting them used to the cold. Seems like he got that worked out. Seems like they fly faster, are able to haul more weight, and ain't near as picky about their diet. I mean those reindeer critters only eat a special kind of moss.

The only real problem with the chupies is that Santy can't bring small house pets as presents anymore due to not being able to keep the chupies from eating them.

PETA and HSUS have both launched attacks on Santy's new mode of travel, as the number of stray animals they take in declines sharply around the time of Santy's visits. They are quite sure there is some correlation between the two.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/15/05 01:59 PM

LOL! Goodun, Randall

Posted By: ak4blkbear

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/15/05 02:20 PM

I am so proud of myself! I know the answer to what everyone of you have been seeing when you thought it was a black panther.

After extensive research, I have come up with the conclusion that each one of you have just seen NatureBOY out foraging for food.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/15/05 02:31 PM

You...you mean that what we've seen in natureboy, in his birthday suit out foraging in the woods?

Hmmm - gotta think about that fer a sec or two...

Posted By: snipingram

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/15/05 02:56 PM

was he under a feeder? LOL

Posted By: Bonehead

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/15/05 04:43 PM

What would you put in that feeder?? Tofu?? Quiche? or just nuts and brans?

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/15/05 04:59 PM

I don't think you even need a feeder.

All you need is a field of beautiful tulips!

Posted By: bounty hunter

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/18/05 04:20 PM

No Tgil they are flying Deer !!! LOL !

Posted By: dannylilly

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/24/05 10:36 PM

if you have any doubts why not ask a troubleshooter they would know! best i could tell you all mainly south tx and old mexico are where they are found if any are still in existing.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/25/05 03:15 PM

IM SURE THAT SANTA CAME TO SEE ALL OF YOU BLACK PANTHER BOYS
HANG ON THE EASTER BUNNY IS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER!!!!!!!!

Posted By: Bulldawg

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/25/05 05:00 PM

Back in the late 60's and 70's there was a "black panther" a mile west of Zavalla in Angelina County. I heard it scream a few times, but never saw it. My wife, Dad, a couple uncles and Grandpa did see it on numerous ocasions. It roamed the woods and came around about the same time twice a year. My wife had to walk 1/2 mile down a dirt road to the bus stop and saw it following her. There are skeptics out there, but I know it was there. Once some ecology boys from SFA came down and stopped at my Grandpas house and was asking him questions about it and also about did he remember the days when wolves were around in the area long ago. Pa told them that there still was wolves there and they said they all died out or were killed long ago. He went and got a picture he took in 1976 of a wolf he killed while deer hunting only 300 yards from his house. I happened to be there that day when I heard him shoot and about an hour later he came dragging the wolf to the house. Those ecology boys were dumbfounded. Pa taught me a lot about hunting and what were in the woods in Angelina County. He was the best hunter and tracker and was so stealthy, I walked up to him once and never even saw him. He passed away in 2003 and the ripe old age of 91 1/2. I sure do miss him.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/26/05 10:37 PM

It wasn't a Black Panther. I enjoy this topic as much as anybody, but PLEASE, tell me why no one has a picture of one on their game cams, why no one has shot one, and why not a single one has been run over. I would love to see someone come up with a real specimen of one. It ain't happened, it ain't gonna happen. There are way too many folks out in the woods, for such an animal to not get shot. There are way too many folks driving our highways, not to run over one sometime. There are way too many folks running game cams, not to have gotten a picture. Regular mountain lions, get shot, get caught on game cams, and get run over. Are the black ones bullet proof, have radar to avoid cars, and invisible to cameras.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/26/05 11:08 PM

Crazy Horse, just because you've never seen one doesn't mean one doesn't exist. Sasquatch is a great example. One grainy film of ole Bigfoot running thorugh the Washington/Oregon woods is all the "proof" we have, but nobody in their right mind questions his existence. Black Panthers must be rare because so few have been seen, but they must be out there!

Posted By: Outdooradv

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/26/05 11:37 PM

I have a quick black cat sighting story from Coleman Texas. We had been hunting this lease for 2 years when one of our hunters came to camp saying he saw a long tail black cat and had even tried chasing him down with the four wheeler. Of course we all had a big laugh behind his back. He is always full of stories. Not real believable guy.

Anyway, it was during dove season and we had been filling feeders and what not. Myself and two life long buddies loaded up in the truck the next day to go fish a tank on the back side of the property at about 3:00 pm and I made the comment as we were getting in the truck to keep an eye out for a black long tailed cat as we all laughed. As we rounded a corner close to cross fence on the property, I'll be damned if a long tail solid black cat was'nt in the road and took off to our right. My buddy John jumps out with a 22 pistol to try and get a shot with no luck through the mesquite trees. The cat was about 50lbs. or so. Not a big cat. I called the landowner and told him what we had all seen. He made the comment that it could have been a black mountain lion and he came out that after noon and we all setup in the area to hunt him and never saw him again. That has been 5 yrs. or so now.

Not sure if it was black panther, jaguar, mountain lion etc....., but I can say without a doubt that it was solid black with a long tail. During our time in Coleman there was a 50lb. monkey taken at a deer feeder which was documented in the paper with pictures and at one time there were 3 african lions lose in the north part of the county that had escaped from somewhere according to the local game warden. You never know what your going to see.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/26/05 11:49 PM

It ain't gonna fly man. NO black panthers/mountain lions, on anybodies game cams, no animals run over, no one sees one during deer season. THEY DO NOT EXIST. I would love to see someone kill a real one, it ain't ever happened and it ain't going too.

These things aren't being seen in WILD places. These things are being reported around Lake Fork, and other places, where people that aren't on this forum, ain't gonna think twice about shooting something like that or a regular mountain lion either.

How could it be, that since the Spanish, came to this part of the United States in the 1500's, till today, there has never been an AUTHENTICATED killing of a black panther/mountain lion. Everyone can get out the Popcorn or whatever else they want, but how can it be, that one has never been shot, never been run over with a vehicle, never caught in a trap or snare, and NEVER photographed on a game cam.

Are you going to tell me that these things are bullet proof, automobile resistant, and know how to avoid game cams.

This is an old story that keeps cropping up, and NO one has ever brought ANY verifiable proof forward.

Do you really think that these ?? animals are able to determine who is going to shoot them, and who isn't, so they only show themselves to people that pose no threat.

I have said repeatedly, and am willing to back it up with $150.00 toward the mounting fee for a full body mount, but there ain't NO black panther/mountain lion out there anywhere. We ain't talking Leopard or Jaguar, because those animals do exist.

I take you to be an intelligent person, so how can you say that these animals may be out there, when ALL of the evidense proves that they ain't.

As for your mention of Bigfoot, unfortunately, there are too many folks out there like me that will kill one if they get the chance, no one has killed one yet.

You can think what you want to on this subject, or about me, but there ain't NO black panthers, Sasquatches, Chupacabras, Loch Ness Monsters, or any of the other mythological creatures out there, because if there was, there is some bloodthirsty-trigger-happy idiot like me or a starving Cajun, that is gonna shoot the thing on sight.

Posted By: luke70

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/27/05 12:18 AM

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/27/05 12:54 AM

Looks almost like modern art to me, or could be the picture of a black leopard. Panther/Black Panther is a term used to refer to the black phase of the loepard. There are also Black phase Jaguars. That is not at dispute. It is the business of Black Mountain Lions.

If you will go back and look at all of the posts, saying that these animals exist, they always have a reason for not shooting one when they see it. No gun, driving a car, etc., etc. For some reason, they never are able to provide actual physical evidence, and the only thing that will provide proof that will be acceptable, is a carcass, live or dead.

There is no way, something that size could exist in Texas or the U.S. for that matter, without someone having killed one, either with a gun or a vehicle.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/27/05 01:00 AM

Check out this sight. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_lion

The cat we saw is very similar looking and size to the jaguarundi. It looks like they can have a melanistic gene that is black.

Posted By: Wild Boar

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/27/05 01:03 AM

Looks like a dog to me

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/27/05 01:11 AM

After looking at the link I just posted I am in agreement with you that black mountain lions (puma) do not exist. Maybe in other cat species, but not the puma line.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/27/05 01:26 AM

I bet you don't believe in Santa, either, but he left me a Ruger Red Label O/U in 20 guage yesterday morning! I am a believer! I may even use that bad boy to take down a black panther and collect that $150!

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/27/05 01:45 AM

you better not pout you better not cry

SANTA CLAUSE IS COMING TO TOWN.
BUT HE WONT HAVE A PICTURE OF A BLACK PANTHER

CAUSE THERE AINT NONE.
CAN YOU SAY ZERO?
HOW ABOUT NADA?
ZILCH?
HOW ABOUT NAUGHT?

I KNOW YOUR MOTHERS NIECE'S BROTHER'S STEP NEIGHBOR IN LAW SISTER SAW ONE BUT HER CAMERA WAS OUT OF FILM.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/27/05 01:57 AM

I've never seen Jesus and only have the Bible to tell me that He lived, died and was resurrected, but I believe in Him. I just hope your first experience with a Black Panther isn't when you are far from town, all alone and one of those killers has you by the throat, teeth tearing flesh and saliva slinging everywhere! And that's just what you're doing! He will be doing even more! Then you guys will all be believers!

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/27/05 02:01 AM

You have been watching to much tv

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/27/05 02:19 AM

I limit my television viewing to the Discovery Channel and programs about Black Panthers in the wild.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/27/05 02:37 AM

I guess you believe in bigfoot to.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/27/05 03:28 AM

PLEASE TELL ME YOU HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT IT AND NOW RELIZE HOW SILLY IT IS TO COMPARE JESUS TO A BLACK PANTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BUT THE AGAIN JERRY FARWELL NEEDS SOMEONE TO LISTEN TO HIM.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/27/05 10:33 AM

I do believe in Santa, because I personnally pissed him off about 15 years ago, and he told me in no uncertain terms that I would never get another thing from him and I ain't.

I really don't know why he got so mad or which actual thing about what I did that upset him so much, whether it was the chicken the cheezwhiz the weedeater or the sheep, but he definetly left mad.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/27/05 02:45 PM

I'm not comparing Jesus to a Black Panther! I am comparing the CONCLUSION that since we have no video, no trail cam images, no stuffed critters, no road kills, etc., Black Panthers don't exist. Well, I only have a Bible that is a translation of manuscripts that were merely copies of copies of copies of the original writings; no photos, no stuffed Jesus, no road killed Jesus, etc., and I still believe in Him. Most of us believe in Jesus based upon the testimony of others over the generations. Hmmmmm, sounds like the Black Panther scenario, doesn't it?

I have the feeling that in the very near future a Black Panther is going to be documented for all of your nay-sayers.

By the way, I clicked on "no" for the survey about shooting a Black Panther. You guys who clicked "yes" would probably shoot a Whooping Crane too! There are surely more whoopers in the wild than Black Panthers.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/27/05 03:48 PM

NO IT DOSENT EVEN RESEMBLE JESUS. WHOOPING CRANES??????

AINT NO BLACK PANTHER
THERE IS NO SCIENTIFIC NAME FOR ONE.ie NO GENIS OR SPECIES
ITS FAKE JUST LIKE BIGFOOT AND LOCH NESS MONSTER?

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/27/05 03:55 PM

Now I have heard it all! No Bigfoot? Please. The number of skeptics on this web site is astounding!

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/27/05 06:35 PM

There are somethings in this world, that we have to take on faith. Religion is one of them. Do you believe that Americans landed and walked on the moon. That could be one real elaborate hoax. Got plenty of videos and stuff, but how many of us really know that it happened.

Dealing with the natural world is different, as I have said many times before on the forum, I would really love for someone to kill an actual black mountain lion. How come people that hunt lions with dogs have never caught one. How come, with as many Game Cams as are being operated around this country, there is not a single picture of a black mountain lion.

How is it these elusive cats seem to be only seen by people that won't kill them. How do they manage to travel thru the country with out becoming road pizza.

I am not skeptical, I am a realist. And knowing humans the way I do, there is not a chance in the world, that Sasquatch, a chupacabra, a black panther, or any of them other mythical beasts, would escape being shot, if they showed themselves in front of a lot of hunters.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/27/05 07:14 PM

From www.answers.com:

The black panther is a genetic variant of several species of cats.

It does not exist as a separate species. The variant is most common in jaguars (Panthera onca), and leopards (Panthera pardus). Close examination of one of these black cats will show that the typical markings are still there, and are simply hidden by the surplus of the black pigment melanin. Cats with melanism can co-exist with litter mates that do not have this condition, nor does it mean that either parent exhibited this trait. It is probable that melanism is a favorable evolutionary mutation with a selective advantage for its possessor, since it is more commonly found in regions of dense forest, where light levels are lower.

So, a Black Panther is not a species in an of itself. A Black Panther is a genetic mutant just as an albino would be.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/27/05 11:43 PM

Yes, but not Mountain Lions. None of us have disputed the fact that there are black leopards or jaguars. Leopards are not native to North America, and other than some occasional ones that cross into Arizona, there are very few if any jaguars residing in the U.S. Also Jaguaroundi's are smaller animals, and even though they are longer built and have a long tail, they are about the weight of an average bobcat. Jaguaroundi's do have a black color phase.

Now this whole thing, has been about black Mountain Lions, also called panthers. You can keep coming up with everything you can think of, but you are not going to prove that black mountain lions exist. As I have said before, the only way this subject will be brought to a close, is with an actual specimen, either dead or alive. Nothing else is going to work.

I would love to see someone come up with a real specimen, but it ain't gonna happen.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/28/05 01:10 AM

http://www.wtblock.com/wtblockjr/BlackCat.htm

Visit this page when you have some free time. Good information about the elusive Black Panther.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/28/05 01:33 AM

I checked it out, what was it supposed to prove. It is saying basically the same thing about 80% of us on here are saying. Yes, there are black leopards, Yes, there are black jaguars, Yes, there are black phase jagaurundi's, BUT THERE HAS NOT BEEN ONE SINGLE AUTHENTICATED BLACK MOUNTAIN LION.
What is so hard to understand here. How can someone argue with over 500 years of history, since europeans came to the new world, NO ONE, has been able to kill or capture a black mountain lion. It ain't happened, it ain't gonna happen. I will be the first to sing the praise of the person that kills one and I will apologise for being a doubting Thomas to everyone on The Forum, both profusely and professionally.
But you are not going to find anything that is gonna convince me that the things are any more than tall tales. As I have said before, it is going to take a carcass either alive or dead, of a black mountain lion, Felis concolor, if you care to look it up, basically translates into "Cat of one color." and it ain't black.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/28/05 02:52 AM

I sense some waffling going on here! Folks have been posting that they know of Black Panthers. Folks have posted a number of viable explanations for Black Panthers in Texas. Articles are found that indicate that black cats exist and are called by people, "panthers." Now the posts are showing up saying, "We're talking about black mountain lions." Waffling, I tell you. There's a whole lot of waffling going on here. Crawfishin'!

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/28/05 03:06 AM

The DNA tests came back on the Panther shot this year, heres the article.

DNA tests have revealed a mysterious cat shot in Gippsland was a gigantic feral domestic cat.

Big cat researchers have claimed it could be the state's largest feral
The size of the cat led to initial predictions it was a Panther. The tests could end decades of speculation over big cat sightings in the Australian wilderness.

The feral cat's tail was 65cm in length, nearly twice the length of the largest recorded domestic cat tail.

Monash University experts analysed a sample from the tail of the cat, shot by Melbourne hunter Kurt Engel, and have concluded there was a 98 per chance it was a feral cat.

Mr Engel, 67, who photographed the cat and disposed of the carcass, but kept the tail as a trophy, said he accepted the finding but was adamant the cat was extremely large.

"If it was just a pussy cat, it was the biggest in the world," he said.

The laboratory testing compared the cat tail DNA against several samples of DNA taken from feral cats and other big cats from around the world.

In tests against DNA from feral cats, the tail DNA recorded several matches of 100 per cent and was always at least 97 per cent similar.

But when compared against DNA from big cats including leopards, cheetahs, lynx and tigers, the results were a 90 per cent match or less.

Big cat researcher Mike Williams said he was stunned by the DNA result.

"It was so large I just assumed it was an exotic animal," he said.

"I was obviously wrong, but it is extraordinary that Australia has a mutated cat that can grow to the size of a leopard.

"This might explain why there are so many reports of monstrous black cats in Australia.

"It is the world's largest feral cat."

Fellow big cat researcher Bernie Mace said it was an important finding.

"It leaves a question mark over the feral cat – how big does it really get?" Mr Mace said.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/28/05 10:57 AM

The only waffling going on is the ones you eat at breakfast. This whole topic, all 2 or 3 hundred pages of it now, in abouyt 5 different topic sections, has been about black panthers in Texas. Now then, since all of us agree that leopards of any color aren't native to Texas, and that Jaguars while coming both in black and spotted varieties are extremely rare, if there are any at all in Texas. Now then, don't get lost here while chewing on that waffle, that leaves just 1 (one), count em, one large, big cat in Texas. Mountain Lion, yes, panther is one of about 30 colloquial names used for this animal, but it is all the same animal, and they ein't none of them black. Now you probably need to put some more maple syrup on your waffles before they dry out and gum up your works.

As I have said for about 50 times;
1. I would love to see actual proof that they do exist.
2. If I ever see one, I will kill it and take it on tour.
3. This is a fun subject to mess with, but facts is facts.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/28/05 11:33 AM

Randall, as you know the US military used black panthers as Mascots as a trial during world war 2, the military heavily trialed them, then let em go. Whats to say they didnt in Texas. One was shot, posted for DNA, then maybe 98% its a frigen huge domestic cat, from a massatusis test.Imagine the recall and liability if the US military say yeah its our panther dumping. Anyway I want more Panther dumping as there cool

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/28/05 11:50 AM

Quote:

I am not skeptical, I am a realist. And knowing humans the way I do, there is not a chance in the world, that Sasquatch, a chupacabra, a black panther, or any of them other mythical beasts, would escape being shot, if they showed themselves in front of a lot of hunters.

Because I suppose they were trained to avoid Germans, then over time, avoid all vehicles, sound, humans etc. They failed the miltary as they could not distiguish between German and American, and a bunch of hunters would be easy compared to a bunch of Germans to avoid.

Poor Black Panther and german tanks and Grenades on him

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/28/05 12:45 PM

I am going to have to do some checking into that story about the U.S. military ever using or training "black panthers" as mascots or for anything else for that matter.

As for your earlier post on the big feral cat shot down there, I am gooing to look it up, but I think the cats that domestic cats evolved from, thru the domestication process were quite large compared to a regular house cat.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/28/05 10:38 PM

I had a brother-in-law stop by my home two nights ago on his way from Houston to Pampa. I told him a little about the posts on this subject. He said with conviction, "Well, I KNOW there are black panthers in the canyons near Clarendon." There you go! Another testimony for the files!

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/29/05 02:10 AM

It still ain't gonna fly, no matter how many feathers you put on it, it ain't gonna fly. Black panther sightings rank right up there with Elvis sightings. He is dead, and black panthers in the wild in Texas, don't exist.

Posted By: dannylilly

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/29/05 02:58 AM

hours of debateing the subject is useless. who cares, why not talk about does and donts and how to, or even equipment. rather you believe it or not fine, if one bites you on the butt then start worrying! its almost a new year,lets try something diff to talk about,like maybe black unicorns. or busting varmits. have a happy new year.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/29/05 04:07 AM

unicorns??!!! i belive that unicorns are extinct because they were all eaten by black panthers or bigfoot.

why do we CONTINUE TO TALK ABOUT THIS????????????????????

CAUSE IT'S FUN GOOFUS.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/29/05 11:00 AM

How about for the New Year, you lighten up and develope a sense of HUMOR. Finding something like this black panther topic or chupacabras, or any other topic that can break up the monotony of which is better, an '06 or a 270 or whether to have antler restrictions or not, keeps The Forum interesting. Lighten up and live a little.

Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/29/05 11:14 AM

Still no proof, carry on!

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/29/05 05:24 PM

Unicorns never got aboard Noah's ark...they were playing around and such. Never heard the song? Lawd, lawd, son...

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/29/05 07:10 PM

One of mine and lora's favorite Irish Rovers songs, along with The Wild Colonial Boy.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/30/05 12:00 AM

I think I might have seen a panther coming home from timbertoes house last night but it wasn't black it was pink.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/30/05 12:18 AM

Were you and Bryan getting an early start for Sat. night???

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/30/05 01:18 AM

Quote:

One of mine and lora's favorite Irish Rovers songs, along with The Wild Colonial Boy.

Irish Rovers. I wonder how many folks listen to them now?

Them and the Clancy Brothers...Hmmmm...brings back old memories...
Glad to know there's folks that like the songs of the dear Land of Ire

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/30/05 01:58 AM

I think we were.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/30/05 02:11 AM

Yes, Lora and I try to collect as many tapes or CD's of the various Irish groups as we can. In fact two of the songs I want played at my wake are The Wild Colonial Boy, and Wild Rover. Also I want the bagpipe version of Amazing Grace.

" Ah, Sean, its a fine soft night, I think I'll go talk a litte treason with my comrades." Hell to get old and remember stuff like that.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/30/05 02:29 AM

Just a wee bit more of hijackin'll not hurt a bloody thing...

I told my oldest son that I wanted Roisin Duhb played during my farewell to this old world. I wonder if it's the instruments or the way the Old Irish seeps into our bones? Both maybe, but there's nothing that can compare to the passion dripping from those old songs - be they the Irish Rovers, Clancys, the Dubliners....or Space Ghost LOL !

Posted By: Quacknfin

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/30/05 02:56 AM

If this guy can exist, why not a black panther! HA!

Posted By: sraggkka

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/30/05 04:45 AM

I saw a Black Panther about 15 years ago near Harper Texas outside of Kerrville on a buddies ranch. We were driving around at night spotlighting when one ran in front of the truck about 50 yds out in the middle of the dirt road. I became very interested in learning more about what we had just seen so I called TPWD. They told me there were no confirmed reported instances of black mountain lions however they have had reported black jaguars in Texas which are mogratory cats that can range over 500 miles per annum. I true black panther in Texas would probably be a black jaguar although very rare...they are believed to be extinct in Texas except for occasional visitors.

Scott

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/30/05 12:57 PM

Some folks believe the earth is flat too.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/31/05 12:41 AM

That guy doesn't exist its all BS.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/01/06 02:27 AM

I believe in your sighting even when others refuse. It was probably one of those elusive negro gattos.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/01/06 09:09 AM

Quote:

Some folks believe the earth is flat too.

Well it aint, y'all non believers can run around in ya F250's guns a blazing, spotlights beaming and wonder why you dont see the Black panther, geez. You wont see them under a feeder or running through a cow paddock, take the challege hunt em deep in Goverment forestry where no man has been.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/02/06 01:04 AM

You make a very valid point, only trouble is these things are ALWAYS seen right on the edge of fairly large towns. I don't think ANYONE has seen one in a really wild place.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/02/06 01:10 AM

I can tell your not from Texas because there is no part of government land in Texas where no man has been before it doesn't mather if it is a 8 mile walk it gets hunted. And I've hunted deep in all kinds a places away from the truck at night and have never seen a black panther because they do not exist in texas....

Posted By: Fatalwishes' Wife

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/03/06 01:45 AM

I cant believe there have been 1588 views and over 90 posts on this subject

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/03/06 01:57 AM

Quote:

I cant believe there have been 1588 views and over 90 posts on this subject

There is just way too much unbelief on this thread!

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/03/06 02:19 AM

I think an earlier one on this same subject went 7 or 8 pages or maybe more. And this has nothing to do with believing or not, and I will test you on that right here and now, in front of the membership.

Do you believe that humans are the only intelligent life form in the Universe.

Now while I do not believe in black panthers, I do believe that there are other species in our Universe, that are far more intelligent than us, but because of humans, in-bred war-like behavior, they will not make contact with us.

Now, I have NO PROOF what-so-ever that there is Intelligent life in Outer Space. Of course there is no overpowering proof that there is Intelligent life on THIS PLANET.

Now,if you believe in the existance of something that has NEVER been confirmed, and yet disbelieve in something that has been neither proven or denied, who is the bigger disbeliever here.

And, even though I DO NOT believe in the existance of Black Mountain Lions, I am willing to accept it if one is found. Are you willing to accept the fact that we are not alone in the Universe if some species makes contact?

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/03/06 02:23 AM

What in the world (or beyond the world) are you talking about? That may be the most bizarre logic, or absence of the same, that I have ever read here!

Posted By: Fatalwishes' Wife

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/03/06 02:30 AM

I think it would be pretty vain to say we where alone. With trillions of stars and billions of galaxies, I would have to say that somewhere someplace somebody is typing and saying the very same thing billions of light years away. Our first really powerful transmission went into space less then 100 years ago. So...It may take some time before somebody hears it given the galaxies are so far apart. In our known universe There may be other life on the far side of our galaxy. Its to big to think we are the only ones and like you I have no proof. We may have been already contacted and Area 51 may be holding secrets the government had decided to hide from us. Who knows...I like to think we are being watched. As far as Black Panters are concerned, they may have existed and are now extinct. To say they never existed would be tough to prove. To say they are around now, show me and I'll believe. Is there a possiblity they do exist? Sure, why not.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/03/06 02:36 AM

No Sir, it is the same logic as you are trying to use about the Plack Panther business. Lots of people, with NO verifiable evidence, believe in extra-terrestrials, Intelligent Life on other planets, whatever you want to call it. I am one of those folks. But I do not believe in the existance of native, wild black panthers/mountain lions in Texas or North America.

Now, my question was and still is, DO YOU BELIEVE IN Life on other planets, or are YOU as big a NON-BELIEVER in that as I am Black Panthers? Why can't you just answer that question??

You are the one that changed this from just a BS subject, to one questioning peoples beliefs.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/03/06 02:50 AM

What in the world are you talking about? When did I questions people's beliefs? You gotta lay off the crack, man!

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/03/06 11:03 AM

And just why or where did you get the idea that I use drugs, AND WHAT GIVES YOU THE RIGHT TO DO SO. Also, if you will just go back up thru your own posts, you make numerous references about people on herer being non-believers, now were you talking about black panthers or something else. Also apart from accusing me of something that I really think you need to reconsider, you still haven't answered my question.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/03/06 02:30 PM

Quote:

Do you believe that humans are the only intelligent life form in the Universe.

No, I do not believe humans are the only intelligent life form in the universe. I believe in angels, demons, and the Holy Trinity, all of which are far more intelligent than human beings. The Bible says God created man just a little lower than the angels so I can assume their intelligence is greater than mine. Based on some of the posts I read here on the THF I find myself questioning the general intelligence of human beings!

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/03/06 03:32 PM

i Think this topic is going NO WHERE and we should move on.

Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/03/06 04:40 PM

OK. I'll bite.

In 1995 while we were building our new home, in southern Fannin County, several of the workers told of seeing a big black cat. I told my father-in-law about it, and mentioned that they must have been on crack. He told me in no uncertain terms that there was such a beast. He had seen one, and the area around Wolfe City/Celeste had once been called "Black Cat Thicket". I thought they were all nuts.

One Friday morning I went by to cut a check for the builders, and perched on a stack of 2x4's behind the house was a huge black cat. Before I could exit the truck and draw the 9mm Sig that I carried in those days he bolted and covered the 360 yards to the fence row and disappeared.

Most people called me nuts.

A couple of years later my wife and I saw one just before dark crossing the road in front of us, about a mile from our house.

They are there. I don't know if they are panthers, jaguars, mountain lions or great big siamese, but they are 5 foot long with a 3-4 foot tail, probably 150 pounds and dang fast.

Same with a mountain lion in Archer County. A buddy on our lease said he saw one crossing a wheat field during a work day at the lease in September. We all laughed. I loosed an arrow at one about a month later and missed. It wasn't black, but it was definitely a mountain lion.

I have a friend who is a biologist for TPWD. He has verified the Mt Lion in Archer COunty (one was killed last year in Baylor County). He says they get lots of reports of pantheras negros in east texas, especially in Southern Fannin, Delta, and Hunt Counties, but that they have not had one turned over to them.

I don't know that I could shoot one, but I would love to have a picture of one.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/03/06 05:15 PM

Atta boy, Vernon! Beware; because you "bit" you are most certainly going to "get bit" in response!

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/03/06 06:02 PM

Your right Darrell this topic is going no where, and I would like to let it drop, except for one small problem.

Sharman, accused me, here on the Forum of doing drugs. That is crossing a line that I am not going to put up with.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/03/06 07:36 PM

I am officially off of this subject! Too much tension showing up in what was originally a humorous thread! You gotta loosen up a little and have some fun! Life is way too short! Best wishes to all! Bye!

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/03/06 07:56 PM

Man, everyone decides to bail just as I was getting the popcorn started!!

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/03/06 09:10 PM

Before you go, you might want to get on Google and look up Defamation of Character, and Libel. You accused me of drug usage here on The Forum. Now you have an option, and that is to apologise for that statement. It doesn't matter if you are not responding to this subject now or not. You made a statement on the internet, that you had no basis of fact to make. Now I am giving you the opportunity to rectify the problem, or I am gonna seek legal recourse in the matter, and I am not joking about this.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/03/06 09:27 PM

Any futher discussion on this matter do it PM. Thanks.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/03/06 11:37 PM

I appreciate your position as a moderator Darrell, but I was accused of something on the forum, in front of the membership.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/04/06 12:48 AM

It is real strange, I went over all of the scientific data that I have available to me, and there is no such scientific name for ANY cat, big or little, as Panthera Negroes.

And before you go there, I checked the scientific names for Jaguars, Leopards, and Mountain Lions.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/04/06 08:24 PM

In an earlier post I used the phrase, "lay off the crack," which obviously offended Crazyhorseconsulting. The phrase is a common tongue-in-cheek reference and is in no way meant to be taken literally. Crazyhorseconsulting is concerned that his character may have been impugned. Most people surely understand the spirit in which the phrase was used but some may not. I do not know this man, have never met him, and have absolutely no knowledge of anything about him other than what I read on "The Forum."

With that said I am going back to work . . . as a professional Black Panther trapper. (Disclaimer: This is a tongue-in-cheek claim and should not be taken literally.)

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/04/06 09:17 PM

Thank You.

Posted By: JBCooper

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/04/06 09:19 PM

Randall,
I couldn't swear to it but I think "pantheras negros" is a BAD Spanish translation of black panther.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/04/06 09:24 PM

Hit still hain't listed as a scientific name nowhere. Hand if'n hit were in espanol iot would probably be Negro Leon.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/04/06 10:59 PM

Actually black panther would translate to "panteras negras"..."leones negras" would be black lion. So it all goes back to the same old debate, whether you call them panthers or lions or whatever.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/04/06 11:40 PM

It don't go back to nuthin, neither exist, as a naturally occuring species in the wild, in Texas, or anywhere else in the U.S. If there are any large black cats in the wild in the U.S., they are or it is a black Jaguar in Arizona. This is a fun topic, along with Chupacabras and Bigfoots, and I really enjoy keeping this going. I am just waiting patiently with $150.00, and a freezer burnt crow, for someone to get over their awe of the beauty of the thing to SHOOT it.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/05/06 01:11 AM

If I see one I dang sure will shoot it I dont care how pretty it is or how many of these things are left. I hunt all around wolf city even within a 1 mile from sig226fan house all my life and never seen one big black cat but I have heard of everybody else seeing them.

Posted By: Bulldawg

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/07/06 07:27 PM

This is for CHC. Just a little poking.

The Pope took a couple of days off to visit the East Texas Thicket for some sight-seeing. He was cruising along the campground in the Popemobile when there was a frantic commotion just at the edge of the woods. A helpless Democrat, wearing sandals, shorts, a "Save the Whales" / "Bush Lied" T-shirt and a tree hugger hat, was screaming while struggling frantically, thrashing around trying to free himself from the grasp of a 5 foot black panther.

As the Pope watched horrified, a group of Republican loggers came racing up. One quickly fired a 44 magnum into the panthers chest. The other two reached up and pulled the bleeding semiconscious Democrat from the panthers grasp. Then using long clubs, the three loggers finished off the panther and two of them threw it onto the bed of their truck while the other tenderly placed the injured Democrat in the back seat. As they prepared to leave, the Pope summoned them to come over.

"I give you my blessing for your brave actions!" he told them. "I heard There was a bitter hatred between Republican loggers and Democratic environmental activists but now I've seen with my own eyes that this is not true."

As the Pope drove off, one of the loggers asked his buddies "Who was that guy?"

"It was the Pope.", another replied, "He's in direct contact with God and has access to all God's wisdom."

"Well," the logger said, "he may have access to all God's wisdom but he sure doesn't know anything about panther hunting! By the way, is the bait holding up, or do we need to go back to town and snatch another one?"

Posted By: SaginawHunter

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/07/06 08:19 PM

That was funny right there I dont care who you are

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/07/06 09:44 PM

I understand the situation there, BUT I DON"T SEE THE PROBLEM!!!!!

Posted By: webb

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/08/06 07:21 PM

I am new here but I can tell you that 2/3 of the people in the U.S belive in UFOs to.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/09/06 12:43 AM

Welcome to The Forum. It really is a great place to hang out and participate on. I believe in UFO's, don't claim to have seen one or been abducted, but I do believe in extra-terrestrial beings. I just don't believe in black panthers, chuppacabras, er bigfoots.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/09/06 02:59 AM

Randall,
I was just curious if you knew that one of your heroes (Teddy Roosevelt) believed in bigfoot and was quoted on record as saying so?

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/09/06 11:58 AM

I just said he was one of my personal heros, and that is because of the work he did to help preserve the nations wildlife and wild places. Like anyother historical figure, he had his good points, and there was also a dark side. I don't agree with his attitude toward indians. Also, because of his background, he was somewhat of an elitist, in his attitudes toward common people and their useage of the outdoors and wildlife.

It is like all of the various actors, football players, race car drivers, et al, that have been elevated to hero status by so many people. If all their adoring fans could actually see the private side of those individuals, they might not like them at all.

Not meaning to give a lesson in human behavior, but most normal folks tend to blind themselves to the "Clay-Feet" of these heros.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/09/06 04:12 PM

Welcome to THF, webb

You'll find alot of good info here (about hunting and such... ) with plenty of great folks. We may have different opinions on things, sometimes controversial, but that just means we've overcome adversity...

And, btw, crazyhorse is just jealous that he ain't never seen a black panther in all his years of hivernantin'

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/09/06 04:19 PM

Saw a black cat sitting on some hay this weekend. Make me do a double take as we drove by. Then I started to giggle. Thought about turning around, getting a picture, and posting it here to see how many people would give me crap about posting a picture of the neighbors cat. Just made me giggle!!

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/10/06 03:07 PM

I just know I have seen them, and I can hear cats at night that aren't bobcats. When you hear the big cats squeal, you will know it. It sounds more like a little girl screaming than a cat.

While checking a tree stand/bait location for hog activity Sunday I noted some huge cat tracks in silt (no mud, just silt) near the stand. I may move a game camera there just for grins.

I think that will make a good challenge for me this spring. I can carry a camera everywhere I go just in case I see one....so I can prove someone wrong on an EBB. Just kidding, this is a fun forum and topic though!

I know people that have seen Foxes in our area too, but I haven't sene one, so I guess they are all wrong. What about the bear sightings near Ladonia a couple of years ago, guess the game warden and highway patrolman that told me about them were wrong too. I can't find it on the internet where there is any mention of bears in this part of Texas.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/10/06 06:03 PM

Not jumping in here to pile on with txcornhusker, but foxes are all over the state, and people can go years in between sightings while other people see them everyday. Bears are beginning to show up in different parts of the state, east Texas, Big Bend, the Panhandle. None of us arguing about those sightings. None of us dispute it when somebody says that they have seen a mountain lion, and as I said earlier, game cam pictures, I think would be harder to fake, so some of us might be more inclined to think about the possibility of black mountain lions if someone got some pictures of one on a game cam. Trying to say that we think those reports of foxes and bears and mountain lions are wrong, ain't the case. In my case, I just don't believe that black mountain lions exist. Not in the wild, not in zoos, no museum skins, no actual physical proof, no where. You can believe in what you want too, I have no problem with that, I just ain't gonna believe it.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/11/06 02:38 AM

How do you know what your hearing at night is a cat it might be a little girl or somebody with some kind of call( if you cant see it you dont know for sure) . I know alot of people in your area that swear they seen a black panther one is my dad, but I think he seen something else that he just thought was a black panther. I'm do not believe they exist but that is just my opinion ( who knows I might change my mind if I call one in one of these nights). I do know there are foxes in your area because I have called a few in. And yes we do or did have bears in fannin co. I seen pictures that a buddy took of them.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/11/06 03:58 PM

First be sure that I am talking in a friendly mood, the way I always do. Life is too short to stay mad about something...

I guess my point is that if we can't say something does exist without pictures just because we saw it, then how do we believe what others saw without pictures?

I guess I am too trusting a soul, because if I believe you, then I believe what you say you saw, until you have proven not to be believable.

I don't think either side can "win" this one, kinda like Fords and CHevy's, oh wait, we all know FORDS are much better !!!!!!!

Have fun all, come see us when you are down our way! (Or up our way)

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/11/06 08:20 PM

Quote:

[snip]... we all know FORDS are much better !!!!!!

Yeeeaaa! Now there's proof of that, ain't it?

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/16/06 05:32 PM

And yes we do or did have bears in fannin co. I seen pictures that a buddy took of them.

Would you have believed him if he didn't have pictures of the bear(s)?

Posted By: fowlplayr

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/16/06 05:49 PM

Geez.

This thread has gone on so long, now I'm confused. Is the argument that Black Panthers do not exist period, or they do not exist in Texas or the US?

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/16/06 05:54 PM

Good question!!!!! Seems the actual debate has change a bit.

Posted By: justin7-11

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/16/06 08:35 PM

If I had enough money I would buy one of these http://www.cathouse-fcc.org/blackleopard.html and lay claim to killing it here in young county!

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/17/06 03:29 AM

Repeat after me. Black Leopards and Black Jaguars do exist.

Jaguars are or were native to the U.S., I am not sure if any, or how many black ones have been recorded in the U.S., or Texas.

There has never been an authenticated record of a Black Mountain Lion, in the U.S. or Texas, and Mountain Lions are a native animal, and their numbers are in question in Texas.
There are probably a lot more lions in Texas, than ANYONE has an idea of.

That, No Authenticated Record, covers a little over 500 years. No hides, no specimens, no births to captive held mountain lions, no mention of black mountain lions in Indian Lore, no mention of black mountain lions in any of the accounts of lion hunters, such as Ben Lilly, no black ones ran over.

It is totally amazing, that these animals have managed to stay out of the way of dogs, automobiles, traps, snares, and folks like me.

Would I like to see one actually caught or shot, HELL YES.

Do I really believe it will happen, EVER, NO --- .

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/17/06 04:35 AM

Rnadall, why did you reply to me? I was just trying to keep this thread going!! Oh, wait...it worked!!

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/17/06 04:38 AM

See, it is great to keep this going, besides replying to u is fun txcohrnhucker.???

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/17/06 04:40 AM

Ditto!!

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/17/06 02:27 PM

I hope yall get this thing settled at the get-together. Man.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/18/06 10:56 AM

Not a chance in Hell !!!!

Posted By: Big Daddy K

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/18/06 01:05 PM

Saw a post on the refuge about a recent big cat sighting around Texoma area.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/18/06 02:43 PM

I'll bet it was black!!

Posted By: forthebirds

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/18/06 03:59 PM

cards, beer, and black panthers i cant wait they are real i saw some on the tv on mlk day too

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/18/06 04:16 PM

Quote:

Saw a post on the refuge about a recent big cat sighting around Texoma area.

what is the refuge? I'd like to see that post.

There was a tawny colored cat spotted near Whitewright over the weekend...with a tail....no beer involved..

Posted By: Big Daddy K

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/18/06 04:39 PM

http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?t=414348

Try this.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/18/06 05:53 PM

Thanks for posting that. If it wasn't that I like this forum so much, I would transfer to that one. Those guys are duck hunters yet they are all talking about going out and trying to shoot the thing, and no mention of it being black.

That danged topic on the Migratory Bird area about helping people has passed this one so this pot needs to be stirred some more.

Remember, this one has nothing to do with normal colored mountain lions, cause we all know those exist, and probably in lot more numbers than TP&W estimates. As I have said beforeTP&W is just wanting to get a fairly accurate estimate as to how many cats might be out there, so they can re-classify them as a game animal, and come up with a special license or stamp.JMO

Posted By: Old Smuggler

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/18/06 06:01 PM

The question is if those duck hunters on the other site shot one, would they tell anyone where they shot it or keep it to themselves. Maybe it would have a brother or sister!!

You don't want the woods overran with Black Panther hunters or the honey hole would get shot out!!!

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/18/06 06:08 PM

Excuse me for my ignorance, I never thought about that.

Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/18/06 07:12 PM

I saw a black looking cat dart around the farm once-
turns out he fried himself in the wires of my
transformer.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/18/06 07:35 PM

Well, for certain, on its own, a baby black panther has a lot to contend with. On average, if there is stability in the population, only a couple of the young that a pair produces in a lifetime will reach maturity. Now and then they have to face cammoed creatures like the "roadstripe ripper" (see 1st pic) that can conform to any surface, thereby rendering themselves temporary... Life doesn't become much easier as an adult; the black panther must still avoid its supernatural predators, such as chupacabras, bigfoots, zeebroos (see pic below), aliens, witches, and human beings (see Crazyhorse’s baby pic below, along with his drinking buddies HunterTed and Bonehead– Heineken is the dead giveaway). But something ya’ll haven’t thought about I bet is storms. Storms are probably the biggest natural cause of death for adult black panthers because of the BP’s sanctuaries being tall trees. A tornado can cast BP’s miles away from their habitat, leaving no trace of their existence…at all.

No, I ain’t jokin ‘cause I can’t tell a friggin joke…remember?….

But I can spread fertilize purt near as good as anybody, bygawd!

Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/18/06 07:40 PM

That was good.

Posted By: Old Smuggler

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/18/06 07:43 PM

Now that's funny

Look we made 7 pages!!!!

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/18/06 07:46 PM

That is genius Orn. Pure genius!!

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/18/06 09:23 PM

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/18/06 11:28 PM

I think one of those's kidos is CHC when he was a baby.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/19/06 12:09 AM

Quote:

I think one of those's kidos is CHC when he was a baby.

I have information, that I had to work real hard for, that alludes to that, Darrell

However, to keep somebody from getting all Brokeback around here, I won't divulge my source....

Re: Black Panther Sighting--on the other side..... - 01/19/06 03:01 AM

Quote:

Well, for certain, on its own, a baby black panther has a lot to contend with. On average, if there is stability in the population, only a couple of the young that a pair produces in a lifetime will reach maturity. Now and then they have to face cammoed creatures like the "roadstripe ripper" (see 1st pic) that can conform to any surface, thereby rendering themselves temporary... Life doesn't become much easier as an adult; the black panther must still avoid its supernatural predators, such as chupacabras, bigfoots, zeebroos (see pic below), aliens, witches, and human beings (see Carzyhorse’s baby pic below, along with his drinking buddies HunterTed and Bonehead– Heineken is the dead giveaway). But something ya’ll haven’t thought about I bet is storms. Storms are probably the biggest natural cause of death for adult black panthers because of the BP’s sanctuaries being tall trees. A tornado can cast BP’s miles away from their habitat, leaving no trace of their existence…at all.

No, I ain’t jokin ‘cause I can’t tell a friggin joke…remember?….

But I can spread fertilize purt near as good as anybody, bygawd!

While I am actually on the other side of this discussion.....THIS IS SOME FUNNY S%$$ufff

Re: Black Panther Sighting--on the other side..... - 01/19/06 03:17 AM

There is no "Other Side" to this discussion. You believe that they exist, and believe that you saw one. I don't believe that they exist, but have no problem with being proven wrong, and I also believe that you have the right to believe in what you think you saw. I believe that I will never be proven wrong on this subject, but I ain't 100% sure that you won't ever be proven right. It is a fun topic if some of these hillbillies from New Bahstan wouldn't take things so serious.

And I can guarantee you that bonehead and HunterTed were not in that picture with me, and that was not even a picture of me, as I know for a fact that I was at least 5 damn year old before they removed the muzzle.

Re: Black Panther Sighting--on the other side..... - 01/19/06 10:11 AM

Quote:

And I can guarantee you that bonehead and HunterTed were not in that picture with me, and that was not even a picture of me, as I know for a fact that I was at least 5 damn year old before they removed the muzzle.

Looks like I need to check my "source"...

The muzzle: I'll just have to take your word for that, CHC, but I noticed you didn't say a word about the beer bottles...

And I ain't no dang hillibilli, bygawd. I'm a flatlandin' Texas Nor'Easter....

Re: Black Panther Sighting--on the other side..... - 01/19/06 10:35 AM

Being a HillBilly, is like being a Redneck, a person could be from NEW YORK CITY, and still be a HillBilly.
The Heineken was what they used to wean me from having to wear the muzzle.

Re: Black Panther Sighting--on the other side..... - 01/19/06 10:39 AM

Re: Black Panther Sighting--on the other side..... - 01/19/06 02:42 PM

Quote:

And I can guarantee you that bonehead and HunterTed were not in that picture with me...[snip]

Heehee I didn't know of anybody else here, besides myself, that drank Heineken except them younguns lol! And IIRC, they would only drink it if somebody else bought it...

Re: Black Panther Sighting--on the other side..... - 01/19/06 04:15 PM

With all these posts on black panthers, I figure everyone on here should be experts by now. So, what does black panther droppings look like? I could have sworn I found some black panther droppings just outside of Houston. It was all the proof anyone needed but my car was stolen with the evidence in it.

Re: Black Panther Sighting--on the other side..... - 01/19/06 11:57 PM

It was the black panther that stole your car to get back the evidence.

Posted By: justin7-11

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/20/06 12:53 AM

I'm not sure I understand this one??? Under this topic are panthers being considered cougars? I was under the impression that panthers were leopards.

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 01/20/06 02:07 AM

Black Leopards are referred to as Black Panthers. There is also a color phase of Jaguars that is black. Neither of those are in dispute, you can see living examples in zoos, and mounted specimens in museums.

Leopards of any color aren't native to North America, so we aren't talking about them.

Jaguars are native to the states of Texas and Arizona, and possibly New Mexico. They are also native to Mexico. There have been a few recent sightings of Jaguars in Arizona, but not Texas.

The most common large/big cat in North America, and Texas is the Mountain Lion/Cougar/Puma/Cat-a-Mount/Painter/Mexican Lion, and about 30 other names. This is the animal that is in dispute.

While I would give, at least $200.00 and eat a freezer-burnt crow, if someone brought one in, alive or dead, I have to stand by my position that the things don't exist. Pictures aren't going to prove anything, although, game cam pics are more believable and harder to fake.

There are several folks on here that I have pissed off, because they think I am calling them a liar, but I ain't. They believe they saw what they think they saw. I can't prove that they didn't. Conversely, they can't prove that they did.

How could an animal, any animal, in North America, have totally eluded being killed by Indians, mentioned by Indians in any of their religious beliefs, avoided the fur trappers, along with all of the folks out there trying to kill off all of our large predators, to keep them from eating our livestock.

Further, how have these elusive creatures managed to avoid being run over, chased,treed and killed by any professional cat guide, caught in a trap or snare, or shot by some blood thirsty savage like me, that will shoot first and then say, "Oh, how purty.", afyter it is on the ground dead.

How is it these animals only pick out folks that aren't going to shoot them on sight, to be seen by. How is it, with all of the folks running game cams, nobody has seen one on any of their films.

I know that was a lot more answer than you wanted, and I do mean it when I say, I would like to see one obtained.

Posted By: Josey Wales

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/23/20 08:01 PM

Man I miss his rants and black panther explanations. He was a good one for sure.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Black Panther Sighting - 12/23/20 08:08 PM

Man talk about going way back.....Jan ‘06..... cheers
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum