Texas Hunting Forum

Squirrel hunting

Posted By: TEXAN1970

Squirrel hunting - 05/03/14 10:39 PM

Anyone killing any Squirrel's ????
Posted By: gunslinger922

Re: Squirrel hunting - 05/04/14 12:34 AM

Most have babies in the nest right now. Waiting on them to mature and provide a whole new set of targets for the fall
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Squirrel hunting - 05/04/14 03:27 PM

popcorn peep it's May already elmer bolt flag
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Squirrel hunting - 05/04/14 05:21 PM

Originally Posted By: gunslinger922
Most have babies in the nest right now. Waiting on them to mature and provide a whole new set of targets for the fall

I know the new crop of young squirrels is the reason for the spring season, but I also noticed that the nests around here still appear to and not getting far from the nests, so I wonder if they nested a little late this year. I will be out after them with Dash soon timed with the cooler mornings when the snakes are more sluggish.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Squirrel hunting - 05/04/14 10:23 PM

got some big-ens down at the corn feeder few coons ta go with em flag
Posted By: TSU99

Re: Squirrel hunting - 05/05/14 09:29 PM

You can come to my house and sit on the back porch and kill all the tree rats you see. Hate those things. They stole EVERY ONE of my pecans last year.
Posted By: Squirrel Sniper

Re: Squirrel hunting - 05/06/14 12:37 PM

I haven't seen many around lake lavon.Collin county is open season year round.
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: Squirrel hunting - 05/06/14 01:54 PM

Need to get out on my family's ranch in Wood County. When I went to SFA in the early '80s we had a fun tradition. Dead week was in the middle of spring squirrel season. Pop a few young ones, jig for a few white bass in the spawn... oh hell, we have to go back and study.
Posted By: Byronstuff

Re: Squirrel hunting - 05/06/14 11:41 PM

My grandmother made us eat a couple that my brother and I shot when we were YOUNG. She "cleaned" them, and made squirrel and dumplings. AWFUL!! impossible to get all the hair off.

YUCK!
Posted By: Inky Doc

Re: Squirrel hunting - 05/07/14 03:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Byronstuff
My grandmother made us eat a couple that my brother and I shot when we were YOUNG. She "cleaned" them, and made squirrel and dumplings. AWFUL!! impossible to get all the hair off.

YUCK!

I'm thinking you may have been bamboozled. It's no trickier to get the hair off a squirrel than it is a rabbit. It takes about 30 seconds.
Posted By: Friction

Re: Squirrel hunting - 05/07/14 04:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Inky Doc

YUCK!

I'm thinking you may have been bamboozled. It's no trickier to get the hair off a squirrel than it is a rabbit. It takes about 30 seconds.

rofl
Posted By: Squirrel Sniper

Re: Squirrel hunting - 05/07/14 11:25 AM

YUCK!

The hair is the best part.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Squirrel hunting - 05/08/14 12:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Inky Doc

YUCK!

Yep. Squirrels and rabbits are about the easiest animals to clean.
Posted By: 1FowlHntR

Re: Squirrel hunting - 05/08/14 04:35 PM

yep "bamboozled"!!! LOL easy as pie to clean!!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum