Texas Hunting Forum

Need a varmint caller, that works

Posted By: Simple Searcher

Need a varmint caller, that works - 03/16/14 10:54 PM

We used to have an old cassette player that we rigged a horn speaker to, and we would call a coyote, fox or bobcat almost every time we went out. But the old cassette player died. mad

So a few years ago we bought a FoxPro XR6, and after much trying we haven't called anything with it. My wife says the calls sound kind of mechanical, but I can't tell the difference. I try the same sounds like dying cottontail, etc. Maybe the animals are getting smarter?

Should I do something different with an e-caller?
Does the Foxpro suck?
Mouth calls?
Any help from you guys would be great.
Posted By: Mountain Lion

Re: Need a varmint caller, that works - 03/17/14 01:15 AM

I've had quite a bit of success with my Foxpro. It surprises me that you have not been able to call anything in with yours. Lightning jack and Jackrabbit distress seem to work best for me.

More often than not I crank up the volume all the way (as long as it doesn't sound distorted) and play it continuously for at least 45 minutes. I know this strategy isn't popular with some but it is the one that has worked best for me for a long time.

Keep trying and best of luck!
Posted By: 4K outdoors and taxidermy

Re: Need a varmint caller, that works - 03/17/14 01:52 AM

FYI you can still pick up cassette players on Amazon
I have heard some of the digital sounds like you describe, I give all mine a listen test before I use them. If you'll play it and walk off a ways and put something between you and the player like brush or the corner of a building, lot of times you'll be able to pick up on the digital distortion.
I still prefer a cassette player myself.
Posted By: Honkey911

Re: Need a varmint caller, that works - 03/19/14 01:09 AM

mini blaster mouth call all the way for me but you do get worn out after all night or tournaments. And the reeds dont hold up to snuff very well but still best call for me
Posted By: cattle69

Re: Need a varmint caller, that works - 03/20/14 04:52 AM

Would try spires predator calls start with one of the closed reeds and then when comfortable get an open reed for more variation in sound.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum