Texas Hunting Forum

Yantis,TX hog hunt

Posted By: randy grider

Yantis,TX hog hunt - 02/04/14 04:32 AM

A friend has invited me to visit his relatives that live there, for some hog hunting on private land. Can anyone here tell me about this area? what type of terrain, and if there are decent feral hog populations there. Are there Javelina in this area? Any other game to hunt? this hunt will take place mid febuary 2014. What kind of temps can I expect ? Any public land to hunt ? I have never been to Texas, and am looking forward to seeing the country. Any info much appreciated.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Yantis,TX hog hunt - 02/04/14 05:33 AM

welcome ta THF flag
Posted By: JustWingem

Re: Yantis,TX hog hunt - 02/04/14 06:07 AM

No Javelina. Lots of hogs! Temps can range from teens to 80's. Terrain is moderate some rolling hills a lot of run off creeks and many dairies. Not much public land to hunt other than lakes edge. Find a rod and reel and catch a fish or two that time of year.

Pm me if you need more info.
Posted By: Hogz

Re: Yantis,TX hog hunt - 02/04/14 09:21 PM

I have some buddies hunting down that way right now! Great place. Tons of hogs.
The terrain we hunt down there is a lot of pastures and thick thick brush! We set up blinds in the pasture area with the wind coming from the brush and catch them coming out to the pastures to root!
Good luck!!

Re: Yantis,TX hog hunt - 02/11/14 01:50 AM

Thanks for the responses ! Having never hunted hogs, I could use any advice. Are they more active at sunrise, and sunset, same as whitetails? Are they easy to pattern, like whitetails ? I was planning to hunt with my longbow, but since my partners are gun hunting was thinking of bringing my AR-15, just in case they have been hunted an unable to get in my 20 yard range with the longbow. Opinions on the AR as hog medicine.

Re: Yantis,TX hog hunt - 02/11/14 03:24 PM

Originally Posted By: randy grider
A friend has invited me to visit his relatives that live there, for some hog hunting on private land. Can anyone here tell me about this area? what type of terrain, and if there are decent feral hog populations there. Are there Javelina in this area? Any other game to hunt? this hunt will take place mid febuary 2014. What kind of temps can I expect ? Any public land to hunt ? I have never been to Texas, and am looking forward to seeing the country. Any info much appreciated.
Your friend should be able ta help U with what will work best on the hunt. he'll know the hunting preasure, terrain, licencened, weather may change. bow can be done, many hogs taken with bow,but if rest of friends bringing rifles confused2 best wishes on hunt flag

Re: Yantis,TX hog hunt - 02/13/14 06:41 AM

the friend I speak of lives here in Kentucky as well. He has only visited there once to see his sister, and has no experience with hogs either, which is why i srted this thread. We have no hogs here in Kentucky to hunt, and all three of us are pretty clueless on what to expect.
Posted By: J Herrera

Re: Yantis,TX hog hunt - 02/13/14 09:34 AM

Expect the hogs to behave like they own the place.

Re: Yantis,TX hog hunt - 02/13/14 03:36 PM

Originally Posted By: randy grider
the friend I speak of lives here in Kentucky as well. He has only visited there once to see his sister, and has no experience with hogs either, which is why i srted this thread. We have no hogs here in Kentucky to hunt, and all three of us are pretty clueless on what to expect.
a lot depends on the hunting preasure their. place i hunt most is public, & hogs been thinned out. see em one in a while down by the feeders & creek. best wishes flag
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum