Texas Hunting Forum

Pig hunting from a helicopter

Posted By: Texasbdog

Pig hunting from a helicopter - 01/28/14 07:19 PM

Anyone ever done it? I did it once, used a pump shotgun the helicopter guy had. I'm going to do it again to eradicate hogs on our high fence place. I have an Ar with a red dot scope and 75 grain hollow points or a benelli M2 with an extended magazine that holds 9 shells or a sks, which one should I use? This should be fun!
Posted By: MarkE

Re: Pig hunting from a helicopter - 01/28/14 07:46 PM

I've done it and can't put into words how much fun it was. Go with your AR. I used an AR with open sites and mowed them down without a problem.
Posted By: lwestbrook

Re: Pig hunting from a helicopter - 01/29/14 12:03 AM

I have wanted to do it for a while just haven't had the chance
Posted By: artrios60

Re: Pig hunting from a helicopter - 01/29/14 01:34 AM

Hard for those hogsto get past a wall of lead. The AR
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Pig hunting from a helicopter - 01/29/14 02:14 PM

I have several customers that do this with an AR. But they use a 300 blk out instead of the 223. Both said there is a night and day difference between the two. I'd go 300 blk out, or shotgun, but no 223.
Posted By: Rob M

Re: Pig hunting from a helicopter - 01/29/14 04:22 PM

I used my 300 blk out with chads supers and was literally ripping the pigs open. I also flipped a couple coyotes on the run.
Posted By: Old Goat

Re: Pig hunting from a helicopter - 02/06/14 02:42 PM

sounds like lots of fun, would like to do it some time.
Posted By: ggarciatx

Re: Pig hunting from a helicopter - 02/06/14 02:55 PM

Shotgun and SKS a little more awkward to load inside a tight cockpit.
I would go AR first with magazines loaded and in a tac vest. I would use 62 grain 5.56 green tip ammo. No sense in wasting a good bullet if you are just mowing them down. Friend did it last year. If you can, tape or tie a length paracord to each magazine and then to your belt or vest. Acts like a pistol lanyard so you don't lose or drop any magazines out the Helo.
If you use the shotgun, look for Federals Buckshot round with the Elite Flite control wad. Gives you a concentrated pattern and about 15 - 20 yards extra reach. Great ammo.

SKS would be great, but if you are limited to the factory ten round magazine, I would not use it. Clumsy to load even with stripper clips.
Posted By: Costa333

Re: Pig hunting from a helicopter - 02/06/14 05:00 PM

I would really love to do that some day!
Posted By: Tree_fish

Re: Pig hunting from a helicopter - 02/07/14 02:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Costa333
I would really love to do that some day!

+1 What's something like that cost?
Posted By: Stealthjr

Re: Pig hunting from a helicopter - 02/07/14 02:36 PM

I saw an ad to do this somewhere outside of Fort Worth awhile back for $1495. Im not sure if that is for a one hour flight or two hour or what.

Hope that helps a little bit.
Posted By: TexasOutfitters

Re: Pig hunting from a helicopter - 02/07/14 03:51 PM

You can do a heli hog hunt in April for $1000 and $ will go to support Freedom Care Warrior Ranch in Graham. I shoot video for Freedom Care Warrior Project and they do a lot to help vets.

Check it out - http://www.freedomcarewarriors.org/ - $1000 as a donor/hunter includes lodging, food and firearm.
Posted By: Schuetzen

Re: Pig hunting from a helicopter - 02/11/14 01:22 PM

I's more exciting when the prey is shooting back!
Posted By: jjohn1023

Re: Pig hunting from a helicopter - 02/11/14 07:30 PM

Its an absolute blast to do! I used my AR and 870 that has a 7 shot tube and ghost ring sights. By far the most fun with the shotgun using 2 3/4" 00 buckshot. The AR was fun especially on the coyotes, they are rather hard to hit the way they dart back and fourth. Definetly something for the bucket list!
Posted By: talkturkey

Re: Pig hunting from a helicopter - 02/11/14 07:39 PM

We did and like said above, words can't express how much fun it was. Did an hour in the air, which really isn't enough time, took that long to get used to the shooting/moving aspect. DH used shotgun and wiped them out. I used 223, and just shot a LOT, but did manage to knock down a couple yotes and pigs. It was definitely a blast.

Re: Pig hunting from a helicopter - 02/22/14 04:24 AM

Sorry I've been away, going Tuesday to take the helicopter/ pig kill. This really isn't that expensive. for an hour of flight time, plenty on our place, it will be about $460.00 . $300.00 per hour then a mileage charge and that's it. This is assuming you have a place to go hunt, but I'm sure lots of farmers and ranchers would welcome someone eradicating some oinkers on their place!
Posted By: Wesomac

Re: Pig hunting from a helicopter - 02/22/14 04:40 AM

Jealous!!!!!!!

Re: Pig hunting from a helicopter - 02/25/14 06:59 PM

Mission accomplished, had a blast ended up being $410.00 with tip thanks Mr. Smith of Smith Helicopters out of Cotulla Texas.

Posted By: WhitetailFreak

Re: Pig hunting from a helicopter - 02/25/14 07:48 PM

sweet!!!
Posted By: HELIHOGHUNTdotCOM

Re: Pig hunting from a helicopter - 03/17/14 05:10 AM

HeliHogHunt.com

There will be more than one pig in your pictures.

Re: Pig hunting from a helicopter - 04/16/14 07:34 PM

There are 2 pigs, it was 370 high fence acres, there are no more hogs on the place, thank you very much, and do your advertising on your own post!

Re: Pig hunting from a helicopter - 04/16/14 07:39 PM

Or Helihoghunt, you may continue to advertise on my post if you come up to Caldwell and fly me around on our place there to shoot pigs, at a discounted rate of course, lots more pigs there!
Posted By: Believer

Re: Pig hunting from a helicopter - 04/17/14 03:29 AM

I have been at a dozen or so weekend heli hunts (picking up the pigs). They almost always use shotguns. Several weeks ago there was two incidents of wind screens being pierced by ricochets using rifles.

I can tell you every paying customer had and awesome time. Three weeks ago we had a 150 pig day and the following week a 88 pig day. One in Mason and one SE of Mexia. Not to mention the countless yotes they smoke.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum