Texas Hunting Forum

Need a live pig

Posted By: Bearclaw

Need a live pig - 03/26/13 03:07 PM

I am going to need a live pig for a demo with some of our thermal and night vision scopes testing detection ranges and usability at different distances. I was thinking a live pig in a trap would be the best thing to use. Would want an average sized pig maybe 200 lbs. Is there anyone here that has them available pretty regularly? How much advance notice do you need? I will buy it cash or trade for a thermal scope rental.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Need a live pig - 03/26/13 07:25 PM

I wouldn't think that would be an "average" size pig. That's pretty large.
Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: Need a live pig - 03/26/13 09:41 PM

wait 200 pounds is average?

Most of the pigs I have killed are tiny then lol.
Posted By: K W C

Re: Need a live pig - 03/26/13 10:43 PM

200 is average here in north Tx where I hunt.
A guy(hwy84) just posted some small ones for sale on the trading section for $10.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Need a live pig - 03/26/13 11:12 PM

Texas pig's average 100-120 lbs. Very few get north of 200 lbs. A lot of folks on this site have no idea what a hog weighs on the hoof... and are prone to badly over estimate.

If you don't beleive me, go to an actual hog hunting competition and check out the average weights, and the percentage that exceed 200 lbs.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Need a live pig - 03/26/13 11:24 PM

I'd give you one if I caught one.
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Need a live pig - 03/27/13 03:00 AM

Originally Posted By: dkershen
Texas pig's average 100-120 lbs. Very few get north of 200 lbs. A lot of folks on this site have no idea what a hog weighs on the hoof... and are prone to badly over estimate.

If you don't beleive me, go to an actual hog hunting competition and check out the average weights, and the percentage that exceed 200 lbs.

Correct all the way - we use measure to estimate weight and it is within a reasonable range.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum