Texas Hunting Forum

Bucket List Item #97: Shoot a Hog ...Check.

Posted By: donswin

Bucket List Item #97: Shoot a Hog ...Check. - 03/24/13 10:40 PM

Last year I decided to take up hog hunting before I sit back and watch the grandkids have all the fun. I have hunted deer off and on since I was young but never hogs.

I got all the equipment: hog light, hog pipe, scope light, bait, brewed corn, even a trap but no success yet. A buddy and I came close a few weeks ago but no luck.

Reading about hogs, the best shot advice seemed to be "shoot 'em in the ear".

This weekend a lease buddy and I sat in the blind waiting for the light to come on (that's another story). Before dark, he couldn't hold it any longer and had to step behind the blind to relieve himself. No more than two minutes after he settled back in his chair, a hog came through the woods towards my feeder. I guess the best advice to attract hogs is to pi$$ on it and wait.

As it was passing behind a tree, I was watching through my scope & thinking "ear shot, huh?" When its head appeared again, I squeezed one off with my 25-06. It dropped like a rock & didn't even twitch when it hit the ground.

I guess that is the place to hit them.

My intention was to take it to the processor but it was dark and well over 50° with an hour and a half round trip to ice. We picked it up by the legs & it had been rolling in something that stuck to your hands like the gunk in the bottom of an oil pan in need of changing.

To make matters worse, we had taken down the lights at our cleaning station and I was worried about cleaning a hog for the first time while keeping the hair and gunk off of the meat so we put it where it would be appreciated by the other wildlife there.

I wouldn't do that with any other game but a dead hog isn't a bad thing.

Next weekend is turkey season and Bucket List Item #98.
Posted By: EastTexasHag

Re: Bucket List Item #97: Shoot a Hog ...Check. - 03/24/13 11:39 PM

Congrats!!!! Don't need any bad taste added to a wild pig huh?
Posted By: Dragonuv

Re: Bucket List Item #97: Shoot a Hog ...Check. - 03/25/13 12:02 AM

Great job Donswin. Now you're addicted like the rest of us.
Posted By: buckkiller

Re: Bucket List Item #97: Shoot a Hog ...Check. - 03/25/13 12:38 AM

nice shot
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum