Texas Hunting Forum

Trapping question

Posted By: marco

Trapping question - 03/16/13 04:25 AM

We had built a figure 9/6 trap about 5 weeks ago and caught one nice hog down by the Brazos river. This was about three weeks ago. Since then one of my buddies goats got through the upper fence and managed to get himself in our trap. The goat was in there for a little over 2 days crapping and piss'n. We have seen no action since then. Would the hogs react negatively towards the scent of another animal (goat) like this and not enter the trap? We always wear gloves and keep our scent to a minimum. Thanks for any input on the matter.
Posted By: h20thief

Re: Trapping question - 03/16/13 02:20 PM

I wouldn't think so anymore than the normal pressure from y'all going in to check the trap. I've shot multiple pigs in a trap and caught again a day or two later. Bait heavy to make it irresistible.
Posted By: remman

Re: Trapping question - 03/18/13 04:03 AM

We have to keep moving our trap to where the hogs are rooting the most recent. It seems like a crap shoot.
Posted By: Hard_ware

Re: Trapping question - 03/18/13 06:48 AM

I know enough to know I don't know. Several people have been setting traps on some land I hunt for 4 yrs. All different people with different reasons their trap will work, bananas fruit grain lettuce etc etc. I even tried this with kerrville root door trap and 6 panels, figured a larger trap was better. Only thing ever trapped was a calf. So that's why I know enough to know I don't know and neither did they laugh But hopefully you will find the answer then I will know what you have learned! Some people claim the bait is the trick but I have not found the right trick yet if its the bait.
Posted By: Glowka

Re: Trapping question - 03/18/13 02:45 PM

Next time you catch pigs, bait the six trap with a sow. Works like a charm. Just remember to keep water and some sort of food in there for her in case PETA rolls up!
Posted By: marco

Re: Trapping question - 03/19/13 03:30 AM

Thanks for your input. It's funny you mentioned about the kind of bait because one thing's for sure is that the first hog was trapped with fruit scraps and corn. This last set has only been with corn.
Posted By: cos

Re: Trapping question - 03/19/13 11:19 PM

Hogs have progressively gotten smarter the last few years and the more human intervention the smarter they are going to get. Wear rubber boots and gloves. They are way smarter than deer. Plain corn works about as well as anything.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum