Texas Hunting Forum

hog dog training?

Posted By: Tmorgan

hog dog training? - 03/15/13 08:32 PM

I recently got a couple pits that are supposed to be trained to hunt hogs. Problem is I've never been hog hunting with dogs. I want to train them to be better but I have no idea where to start.

Re: hog dog training? - 03/15/13 08:34 PM

I thought I was posting in general hunting. Sorry
Posted By: Navasot

Re: hog dog training? - 03/15/13 08:39 PM

Do you have any bay dogs or someone with bay dogs to find the hog first? Pits are mainly for just catching the pig after the bay dogs find it
Posted By: Navasot

Re: hog dog training? - 03/15/13 08:42 PM

As far as tranning the pits to do what they are suppose to do.....just show them a pig and turn them loose...if they dnt go grab an ear they are duds

Re: hog dog training? - 03/15/13 08:50 PM

I'm not sure what they will do yet cause I just got them. I'm trying to find a free or cheap hog now to see.
Posted By: elcasador

Re: hog dog training? - 03/15/13 08:59 PM

What Nav Said. Just don't pen up a hog and let the dogs loose on him as training, PETA no likey.
Posted By: SwampHunterFw

Re: hog dog training? - 03/15/13 09:08 PM

The pits are not usally turned loose to hunt the hogs they are used to catch hogs after the hog is bayed , sometimes the pits will go hunt but you have to be careful they will over heat then other breeds like curs or hounds
Posted By: SwampHunterFw

Re: hog dog training? - 03/15/13 09:08 PM

Also just because they chase or get a hog you show them does not mean they are hog dogs an will go to bay in the woods or anything
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum