Texas Hunting Forum

Sidarm while hunting hog?

Posted By: Humannpower

Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/01/13 07:46 PM

About to schedule my first hog hunt in the next couple of months and I was wondering if I should take a sidearm with me or if my Savage Axis would be enough? I will also be by myself on this hunt from the looks of it.
Posted By: Ryan81

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/01/13 07:49 PM

Id take it. Better to have and not need than need and not have.
Posted By: mikefinchmp

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/01/13 08:00 PM

I always have mine when we are at our ranch.. you never know what is out there..
Posted By: Matt

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/01/13 08:09 PM

Here's my story from January. I WILL NOT go out without a sidearm!!

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u..._me#Post3929510

Thanks!!
Matt
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/01/13 08:15 PM

Just kik um in tha face
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/01/13 08:25 PM

Nah, just your knife should be sufficient. But don't forget your camera because everyone will want to see photos.
Posted By: GriffGruff78

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/01/13 08:25 PM

"Wow! I sure am glad I didn't bring my sidearm on this hog hunt!"

Said no one ever...
Posted By: Houston Wildcat

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/01/13 08:26 PM

Definitely take one. Two weeks ago we were hunting hogs in Ganado, TX and I walked up on a sow I had shot over an hour earlier. I reached down to grab her legs and she jumped up and started at me. Grab my S&W 9mm with jacketed hollow point and shot her right between the eyes.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/01/13 08:33 PM

Like Navasot said, kick 'em in the face before you grab their legs. banana
Posted By: WBYHunter

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/01/13 09:15 PM

Originally Posted By: GriffGruff78

Said no one ever...

^ This
Posted By: East

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/01/13 09:28 PM

Originally Posted By: WBYHunter

Said no one ever...

^ This
Posted By: JCB

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/01/13 11:39 PM

Take it with you. If you kill enough hogs sooner or later you will approach one that aint quite dead and will need to be finished off. Even with great shot placement they dont die as quick as a deer.

Last year I shot one with a 6.8 and he dropped right in his tracks. I walked up to him and he was still kickin but I knew he was pretty much down for the count so I grabbed him by the rear legs to drag him off but he had a bit more life left in him than I though. Had he not had a busted snare around his snout he probably would have left a pretty nasty bite on my hand. One shot to the head from my side arm ended his life.

And when it comes to blood trailing hogs in dense cover a hand gun is the only way I roll.
Posted By: target1911

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/01/13 11:43 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^ all of above. I will add I NEVER go to the field without my sidearm....or anywhere else
Posted By: Deaf Smith

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/02/13 12:30 AM

Whenever I hike at Crockett I take my S&W 629 Mountain Gun. It's a 4 inch .44 magnum loaded with 240gr SWHPs at 950 fps. Not particularly for hogs but I feel naked without a good sidearm.

But I have no doubt a good .357 would do fine.
Posted By: Tim9880

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/02/13 03:35 AM

Said no one ever...

^Beautiful. So true.
Posted By: FLParish

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/02/13 04:14 AM

So, .44 and .357 over a .45? In that order? For sidearm carrying in the field.
Posted By: Xman

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/02/13 05:14 AM

I carry a Taurus Judge which is 410/45 Colt. My .44 Special is for the pigs I run into on the streets being stupid. Either way they are loaded with hollow points. If you can get past the #4 shot coming out first in the Judge, God help you when the 250gr HP's start flying.
Posted By: JCB

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/02/13 05:33 AM

Originally Posted By: FLParish

Depends on which 45 you are talking about. I would take the 45 long colt over the 357sig or magnum any day. If you are talking about the 45 ACP then I would probably take them in the order you have listed.
Posted By: Texsun

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/02/13 01:49 PM

Originally Posted By: mikefinchmp
I always have mine when we are at our ranch.. you never know what is out there..
Posted By: FLParish

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/02/13 02:08 PM

Good point about .45 long colt vs ACP. I was referring to the ACP.....

Judge....good idea as well...
Posted By: MeanGreen85

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/02/13 04:41 PM

I'll take my 10mm Glock 20SF over each of those any day. I like having 16 230gr. WFNGC on call without reloading.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/02/13 05:01 PM

i try to never walk through brush without a sidearm on my hip. and anything is better than nothing. I carry a snubby .38 on my hip when im in the woods.
Posted By: assassinator

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/02/13 05:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Humannpower
should take a sidearm with me or if my Savage Axis would be enough?

It can never hurt to bring another gun. However, I never really feel the need to have one. What caliber is your Savage?

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/02/13 06:02 PM

Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/02/13 06:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Savage 250
i try to never walk through brush without a sidearm on my hip. and anything is better than nothing. I carry a snubby .38 on my hip when im in the woods.

For many years all I've carried is a 22 cal 9 round revolver on my hip. This last year I started carrying a snub nose 38 instead. Still light weight but carries a weee bigger punch.
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/02/13 06:31 PM

Yes, a sidearm is a good idea. Sooner or later you'll need it to finish one off.

A lot of different calibers work fine. I carry a 1911, .45 ACP. Shot one in the top of the head. The bullet traveled through his skull, down his neck, then down his leg and out just above the foot. Instant death.
Posted By: ThePredatorHunter

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/02/13 06:36 PM

Originally Posted By: blackcoal
Nah, just your knife should be sufficient. But don't forget your camera because everyone will want to see photos.

And or video.. banana

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/02/13 06:38 PM

But I carry my 9mm when I walk the ranch. Like others said, you just never know!
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/02/13 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: JCKJR
But I carry my 9mm when I walk the ranch. Like others said, you just never know!

Yep. I also carry a 9mm around the ranch, as well as when I'm hog hunting. On the occasions when I've had to track a wounded hog through the brush, a pistol is much easier to carry than a rifle. Usually when I shoot one, if it's someplace where I can't drive the truck right to it, I'll put my rifle down and walk out with my pistol. If they're still alive a 9mm to the head takes care of that, and I can then just holster the pistol and start dragging the hog without having to deal with a rifle.
Posted By: My stand is pink camo

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/02/13 08:44 PM

Definitely carry a sidearm!!! Once you walk up on a wounded hog in the brush.....your sidearm is you new best friend nuts

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/02/13 11:22 PM

Just curious, what ammo do you guys keep in your 9mm for ranch use?

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/02/13 11:55 PM

Originally Posted By: MeanGreen85
Just curious, what ammo do you guys keep in your 9mm for ranch use?

I just use cheap 9mm FMJ bullets. The biggest thing I expect to have to shoot at is a hog, and even if I'm going after a wounded one the fact that I find it means it's not very mobile.

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/03/13 12:08 AM

Same I also carry a backup clip with personal protection rounds just for fun lol
Posted By: texasdude28

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/03/13 12:50 AM

I take my .357 with me
Posted By: dawaba

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/03/13 01:06 AM

Unless your rifle or shotgun is out of ammo, why do you need the extra burden of a handgun? The sidearm is just one more piece of unnecessary trivia to throw in with the kitchen sink when loading up the truck for a hunting trip.

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/03/13 01:15 AM

I wouldn't call it a burden. More of a habit.

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/03/13 05:56 AM

Originally Posted By: dawaba
Unless your rifle or shotgun is out of ammo, why do you need the extra burden of a handgun? The sidearm is just one more piece of unnecessary trivia to throw in with the kitchen sink when loading up the truck for a hunting trip.

I hunt with a bolt action rifle and usually don't have more than 4 rounds within immediate reach. There are no guarantees for who or what you'll run into out there, so I like to be prepared...gives me peace of mind for things that go bump in the night (or day).

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/03/13 06:13 PM

Thanks for all the feedback and stories guys. I don't own a sidearm yet but looks like I will be getting one before my first hog hunt due to my friends truck crapping out. Springfield XD .45 here i come.
Posted By: Hogkellum

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/03/13 08:25 PM

That's true meangreen85 even on a quick trip hog hunting my truck will be loaded with stuff that I never use when I get out there. My 1911 45 is on that list I take it every time and if never leavs the truck.
Posted By: Pierce

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/04/13 12:45 AM

But as soon as you leave it at the house, that's when you'll need it.

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/04/13 02:06 AM

Originally Posted By: dawaba

Granted, there's no way I'd put down the rifle in my hands to pull out a pistol if there were any urgency. However, when I have to go track one through the brush, a pistol is much easier to maneuver with than a long gun. I can hold the sidearm in one hand and use the other to fend off low branches.

Additionally, there are times when I shoot one in a place where I can't go drive and pick it up. In those cases I put the rifle down and just carry a pistol in case it's still alive and kicking. Besides, I've tried to shoot wounded hogs in the head with a rifle, and I guess I'm just not very coordinated because I've missed a time or two shocked I don't like just shoving the end of the rifle barrel up against the hog's head, it makes too much of a mess and if you stand back a few feet it's sometimes tough to aim accurately. Of course pistol ammo is cheaper, but that assumes you already own a sidearm.
Posted By: remman

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/04/13 02:38 AM

I carry a 357. I have had two hunts where the hog came at me after being shot in the heart with a 30-06; one hunt was 80 yards and the other was 25 yards. These things are tough and run on adrenaline.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/04/13 03:57 PM

When we run dogs we wont allow sidearms to be taken....to many things can go wrong... now just walkin and hunting sure why not but iv never needed one if i already got my rifle or shotty...
Posted By: Scalpel4

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/04/13 04:01 PM

Yes, do carry, whether you shoot a bow or a rifle.

I bring a 357, used it this weekend to finish one off that was wounded and immobilized. It's also good to note, its harder to swing a rifle in a hurry when you're being charged, and it will happen eventually.
Posted By: ccoker

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/04/13 08:09 PM

I always carry my 1911 with 255g Buffalo Bore +P hardcast.

Why not?
I carry a pistol almost all the time...
so, why not in the field.

I also like the option of being able to pop one with the pistol just for the fun of it..

I don't worry about getting charged though it could happen and if my rifle is in the truck, leaning against a tree for a moment, whatever..

I have shot a deer climbing out a stand with the rifle strung across my shoulder. Looked over and there was a deer at 30 yards with this puzzle look on his face. Pistol enabled it.

Personally, I just like to be as prepared and I am an opportunistic hunter.

For a dedicated hunting handgun, a 44 mag, 45 LC, 41 mag, etc.. is better, but I prefer carrying a 1911 and I shoot them WAY more and and thus much more proficient with them inside of say 30 yards.
Posted By: Nathan Nelson

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/04/13 08:11 PM

Your rifle should be enough but I personally like to carry a handgun, just because it adds a bit of challenge should a close shot come about. I carry a 44 Special.

I always carry a 22 pistol in my pack to finish off animals just shoot them in the arm pit...
Posted By: DocBailey

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/04/13 10:19 PM

I always have my pistol on my hip as soon as I get to my land
Posted By: gator1332

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/05/13 12:47 AM

always carry a pistol when hog hunting. Lets see, 10 hogs and a savage axis. your outnumbered.
Posted By: Land_Man

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/05/13 04:37 AM

I always bring mine. XDM .40
Posted By: Creek Henry

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/05/13 01:51 PM

10mm is a good choice also but it's hard to beat a properly stoked 45+P or .44mag. I have a .357 that I would not feel undergunned with if it had 180gr solids (from BuffaloBore) in it. Up close, they are sledgehammers.
Posted By: donswin

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/05/13 08:55 PM

I always carry a pistol with an extra magazine of snake shot during warmer weather.
Posted By: Aquaman

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/06/13 07:32 AM

I carry a g32 or g30 on a daily basis so why not when I'm hunting
Posted By: thebowfisher

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/06/13 08:20 PM

M&P 40c!
Posted By: Rockwall17

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/06/13 10:20 PM

I carry a 357 mag old reliable wheel
Posted By: mattm

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/08/13 03:43 AM

My sidearm is now part of my wardrobe so there is no thinking to it. The 357 is a fine round in the field but I would primarily use a wheel gun when hunting with a pistol as I have done several times, but I like to do that with minimum .44 Mag. When I'm just walking or tracking a hog that's been shot, my 9mm does just fine; less power than the aforementioned calibers, but in a crapstorm, I'm just interested in throwing lead and my Glock with 3 mags holds more than a box of ammo so I can easily shoot my way throug a few pigs. To answer an earlier question, I prefer heavier bullets, so when I carry my 9 I like 147 grain JHP. When I carry a .44 or .45, it doesnt really matter.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/08/13 03:49 AM

I carry my Glock 23 or M&P 40.
Posted By: gator1332

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/10/13 01:47 AM

XD 40 with two clips of JHP
Posted By: HuskerB

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/10/13 03:11 AM

Beretta 9mm while hog hunting, deer hunting, varmint hunting, checking feeders, scouting property, or keep it concealed everyday.
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/10/13 03:31 AM

USP .40 or XDm in .40 or .45 ACP.
Posted By: Sw0970

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/10/13 07:57 AM

i watched a buddie unload a .38 into a hog and it was still kickin. I carry a .44 mag revolver. One shot and done.
Posted By: eneat1119

Re: Sidarm while hunting hog? - 03/10/13 04:51 PM

1911 .45 ACP.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum