Posted By: Hogkellum

Re: XLR250 Light - 02/25/13 01:36 PM

Cant go wrong with green and a big thumbs up for the XLR250 its a great light
Posted By: 603Country

Re: XLR250 Light - 02/25/13 02:55 PM

Why is green better than red?
Posted By: DStroud

Re: XLR250 Light - 02/25/13 03:00 PM

Green is a little brighter/or throws a little further and for pigs maybe is a better option.... I like red for predators but that is just what I am used too.
Posted By: bowassin

Re: XLR250 Light - 02/25/13 05:29 PM

Only thing wrong with green hogs can see their shadow and bolt
Posted By: mikes14

Re: XLR250 Light - 02/26/13 02:19 AM

I tried using green couple times and I will never use one again. As soon as the green came on there we gone and with red I can shine it right at them and they will not Even look up so all I use now is red
Posted By: HuskerB

Re: XLR250 Light - 02/26/13 02:52 AM

I found with green you have to start it above your target and slowly lower it on the hogs. If you hit the light directly on them sometimes they will get spooked and bolt
Posted By: Piper354

Re: XLR250 Light - 02/26/13 01:32 PM

I have shined hogs, coons, deer, and opposums with my green XL250 light with no issues. Most were directly point/turn on.
Posted By: RTF Rob

Re: XLR250 Light - 02/26/13 03:30 PM

Red doesn't spook as much as green
Posted By: PSE-Madman

Re: XLR250 Light - 02/26/13 06:26 PM

I have a green one. I love it
Posted By: hillbillyhoghunter

Re: XLR250 Light - 02/26/13 10:04 PM

We use the green one. My wife is a pro night time hog hunter now. I really like the xlr250.
Posted By: TxYoteHunter

Re: XLR250 Light - 02/27/13 06:46 AM

Green. No problems with spooking any more than my red that I used to use.
Posted By: kd8jgu

Re: XLR250 Light - 02/27/13 09:37 AM

That is what I have setup on my crossbow for hog hunting.
I will say the green lights up a larger area then the red.
If you are on the ground they have seemed to spoke easy with either color.
In a stand they don't even act like anything is there.
I hope this helps
Posted By: Golfman6

Re: XLR250 Light - 02/27/13 12:52 PM

I have a green and red. The green will throw farther but seems to reflect any particles in the air making it seem "foggy" if that makes sense at all. The red will shine 175 yards +/- and is plenty for me. Also light is more clear, not reflecting anything back to me. This occurs while looking through an optic or with naked eye so my choice is red. As far as not spooking game, the red in my opinion is the better option. Green XLR250 is too bright maybe??? XLR100 in green may be a good compromise but haven't tried yet.
Posted By: donswin

Re: XLR250 Light - 02/27/13 04:05 PM

The green is easier for me to see. The objects look closer to normal than red. For me, it is more comfortable on my eyes using green. For some reason, red feels like I'm straining. Go figure.

Either color lights up far enough for my shots.

The red takes more battery power (per the mfr run times). Someone who understands led technology can explain why.

Try looking through both & see what you like. Do you know anyone near you who has both?. I would go with the one you like best and give up any small edge one color may have over the other.

....and my final answer is......green.

Re: XLR250 Light - 02/28/13 01:18 AM

All I have is the red light (3 of them). I got them direct from the Chinese source and they were pretty darn cheap ($27), so I got one for hand use, one for the varmint rifle, and one for the 22 lever rifle. On the 22, I mounted it under the barrel and mag tube and it worked great. When the light was on the scope, the front sight reflected back too much light and I couldn't see. I don't know how far I'll be able to see with the light, but I know for a fact that at 135 yards (distance to feeder) it works great. I just wondered if I had messed up in getting the red light instead of the green.
Posted By: DavidK

Re: XLR250 Light - 02/28/13 01:43 PM

Originally Posted By: HuskerB
I found with green you have to start it above your target and slowly lower it on the hogs. If you hit the light directly on them sometimes they will get spooked and bolt

I do the opposite, when you bring it down on the hogs, they get it almost instantly, I start right in front of me on the ground, slowly bring it up as the reflections hit then slowly, I've found that this works much better than coming down on them and they spoke much less, give it a try
Posted By: donswin

Re: XLR250 Light - 02/28/13 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By: 603Country
All I have is the red light (3 of them). I got them direct from the Chinese source and they were pretty darn cheap ($27), so I got one for hand use, one for the varmint rifle, and one for the 22 lever rifle. On the 22, I mounted it under the barrel and mag tube and it worked great. When the light was on the scope, the front sight reflected back too much light and I couldn't see. I don't know how far I'll be able to see with the light, but I know for a fact that at 135 yards (distance to feeder) it works great. I just wondered if I had messed up in getting the red light instead of the green.

Mount your light further to the front and use an extended hood on your light. That should help cut down on the glare. Test the idea by rolling up some black cardboard before you spend any money.

Re: XLR250 Light - 03/01/13 03:42 AM

I only had the reflection problem with the Marlin 39A, and mounting the light under the barrel worked just fine. And, with the light under the barrel instead of being on top of the scope, the rifle is much easier to stand up in the corner of my study.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum