Texas Hunting Forum

Time for Varmint 's

Posted By: raw

Time for Varmint 's - 02/16/13 02:02 PM

Here is a Mt. Lion my brother took on the Mule Shoe Ranch Brewster Co. Tx. about a month ago. Saw it out hunting about 5 pm. .....Dusty Texian
Posted By: JGW

Re: Time for Varmint 's - 02/16/13 02:58 PM

Length? Weight?

That's a dream most of us will never realize!

Re: Time for Varmint 's - 02/16/13 03:21 PM

JGW WE did not weigh or measure it. Here is a better pic. of the cat,looked like a medium size to us . Dusty.
Posted By: MikeBillington

Re: Time for Varmint 's - 02/16/13 04:54 PM

Sweet cat. Congratulation. up
Posted By: ThePredatorHunter

Re: Time for Varmint 's - 02/16/13 05:02 PM

LUCKY!!!!! That's definitely a dream of mine !
Posted By: tannerlst

Re: Time for Varmint 's - 02/16/13 05:58 PM

why does it look like he's just resting his arm on the cat, how it is staying up like it is? looks like its in the same position in both pics.... i may be tripping but that almost looks like its a mount . neck looks a little stiff to be dead

Re: Time for Varmint 's - 02/16/13 07:04 PM

I'll let you in on a secret (tannerlst) when they are dead for about 16 hrs. they are stiff,so you are not trippin. I think I am after reading your comment . If you read my post you will notice I said he shot the cat at 5 pm. We took the pic. the next morning after we recovered the cat ,in the daylite . Boy Howdy . .... LOL Dusty.

Re: Time for Varmint 's - 02/16/13 07:06 PM

Neck look's a little stiff to be dead, Boy Howdy.....Dusty.

Re: Time for Varmint 's - 02/16/13 07:39 PM

Here is another pic. of the (mount) Mountain Lion where we found it the next morning. Was a little to brushy to look for it at dusk the eve he shot it .....Dusty

Re: Time for Varmint 's - 02/16/13 07:52 PM

Bad day for the coyote's .I promise I did not have them mounted before I took the pic.
Posted By: My stand is pink camo

Re: Time for Varmint 's - 02/17/13 09:50 PM

That is AWESOME!!!! Congrats to you!!!! I saw one many years ago and would love to see another one!

Re: Time for Varmint 's - 02/17/13 10:08 PM

Many Thank's !
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: Time for Varmint 's - 02/17/13 10:39 PM

Is that fake blood under their heads ? Looks too red ?

Re: Time for Varmint 's - 02/17/13 10:43 PM

Originally Posted By: raw
I'll let you in on a secret (tannerlst) when they are dead for about 16 hrs. they are stiff,so you are not trippin. I think I am after reading your comment .

i'll let u in on a secret , if you don't gut shoot them u can find them in less than 16 hours..... wink

Re: Time for Varmint 's - 02/17/13 11:46 PM

Well I can see your steamed up ,LOL You never have shot one and you may never will........I'll Bet I'm right! OH THAT PIGGY YOU SHOWED IN YOUR PIC LOOK'S LIKE A ROAD KILL TO ME . .....Dusty

Re: Time for Varmint 's - 02/18/13 12:08 AM

tannerlst , My first day on this site, and you welcome a new member me by accuseing me of posting a phony pic. with no reason, you are just proving again your inexperiance . Only a fool follow's a Mountain Lion into the brush in the dusk of evening . You were not there you are only spouting of . You better stick with you little fox and coon's ,you can follow them into the dark and be safe .It alway's show's up the jealous ones. That's you in a nutshell.......Dusty.

Re: Time for Varmint 's - 02/18/13 12:13 AM

Hey Ranch Dawg your right ,I had Hollywood come out and do all that for me .LOL ......Dusty

Re: Time for Varmint 's - 02/18/13 02:31 AM

tannerlst , My first day on this site, and you welcome a new member me by accuseing me of posting a phony pic. with no reason, you are just proving again your inexperiance . Only a fool follow's a Mountain Lion into the brush in the dusk of evening . You were not there you are only spouting of . You better stick with you little fox and coon's ,you can follow them into the dark and be safe .It alway's show's up the jealous ones. That's you in a nutshell.......Dusty.

Well welcome Raw! There are many great people on here! There are very few arrogant ones, just ignore them, and come join our fun smile
And yes you look like a skilled hunter and no one in their right mind would track a mountain lion at dark!!!

Re: Time for Varmint 's - 02/18/13 04:14 AM

if u wouldn't gut shoot em you wouldn't have to track em wink sorry if your stiff kitty looked a little freaking odd...

nice cat !

Re: Time for Varmint 's - 02/18/13 05:14 AM

Well Thank You ,My Stand Is Pink Camo,I think that is good advice ,and know there are good people here. Don't want to come off as unfriendly,but where I come from when it is implied that you are doing somthing underhanded or cheating ,like poseing a mount for a hunting scene,(Boy Howdy) that is just not tolerated. Enough about that, I think my Brother did a good job on taking this Mt. Lion. We were not set-up in camo calling,or calling in the dark with a lite . Not that these method's are bad ,just pointing out that we were stalking Mule Deer dressed in our normal plaid clothing or buckskin,when we spotted the cat it spotted us at the same time .We were in rough country and had to shift our position for a shot while the cat was making for the near saddle. The terain caused the cat to have to come toward us before it could cross the saddle .My little brother there in the pic, has 45+ yrs,hunting under his belt and cooly put one in the cat quarterly and the exit wound is what my friend tannerlst is calling a gut shot.Well the cat at the shot jumped about six ft. in the air recovered and to our delight ran over the saddle and not into our lap's . We jumped around a bit I slapped him on the back about ten times and we had spooked all the Mule Deer on the ranch ! We then decided it best to come back in the morning and do the recovery. Made a long night . The next morning we found the cat a female about fourty yd . over the saddle in some heavy brush for that part of the ranch. Mt. Lion are realy common in that part of Tx. The Hill Country ranch they are almost never seen ,the N/W Texas ranch they are seen very little but down on the border they are very common. My neighbor has caught them live in trap's useing a goat for bait. Will see if I can dig-up some of those pic's . Well as you can see I'm not the best typer please pardon me for that . But that's the real story. .....Dusty
Posted By: Easywalker130

Re: Time for Varmint 's - 02/18/13 03:36 PM

I shot a bob cat a couple years back at 8 A.M. Waited in the blind for about 3 more hours to see if anything else would come out. I went to pick up my cat and it was stiff as a 2X4. It was about 40 degrees out side so maybe that had something to do with it, or maybe someone mounted it for me and laid it on the ground while I took a little nap? Dang nice cat RAW! I sure would love to have a chance at a cat like that.... C. Walker

Re: Time for Varmint 's - 02/18/13 06:25 PM

Raw - that is a great story!!! Thanks for sharing the details. Never know when, or even if, you will ever get a chance at a mountain lion like that! Glad you and your brothere saw him, had a gun, and got the chance to get him. Awesome! I would love the chance to get one for myself, however I feel lucky enough that I saw one years ago. Where I hunt they are rare so when I saw it I was amazed. My dad and I drove to the ranch for the day, he took off on his tractor so I climb in a stand, it was not deer season so I didn't even have my gun. This mountain line walks out and crosses my lane. It was beautiful to see! Probably a once in a lifetime sighting for me but it is carved into my memory like a color photo smile
Posted By: roxie

Re: Time for Varmint 's - 02/18/13 07:25 PM

Wow! Great lookin' cat, Raw.
Posted By: Monkee

Re: Time for Varmint 's - 02/19/13 02:00 AM

Good lookin cat and awesome story behind the kill. Congrats and Welcome. One day I will get to throw lead at one of them critters. And yeah im jealous.
Posted By: MGS82

Re: Time for Varmint 's - 02/19/13 03:04 AM

Very cool! Congrats.... At the top of my list of things to shoot!

Re: Time for Varmint 's - 02/20/13 03:06 PM

Thank's for the Welcome I enjoyed posting......Dusty
Posted By: LRHead

Re: Time for Varmint 's - 02/20/13 08:02 PM

Good job, raw. A friends boy shot one while sitting a pop up blind a couple of years ago, during an evening hog hunt near Weatherford. The boy sd he was sitting there eating some smoked wild hog sausage and heard something to his left. He shined his green kill light out and saw a mountain lion sneaking up on him. He immediately shot it 2x with his 20ga loaded with #3 buck shot in the face. The cat ran. We checked the immediate area for about 50 yards...and I said this is nuts, lets come back and check in the morning. We never found it.

The land owner told us about 3 others he had seen on the property. His dad had taken one just 2 months prior. He showed us pics of one he had on a game camera near one of the feeders. We know for sure their out there.

We are more cautious now out there... and haven't seen any since. But, I just assume they are still near by on the neighbors 5K ranch.

I still would like to mark it off my buck list. Maybe one day!

Thanks for sharing the pics with us, sir!

Stay safe.

Re: Time for Varmint 's - 02/22/13 10:16 AM

I'll bet that was one excited boy! Wish he would have found that Lion. Smart not to go farther in the dark after it. One on One with a wounded Lion would be tough at best. Have seen what they can do to a fully mature Mule Deer ,snap that neck like nothing. Good story Thanks.....Dusty
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum