Texas Hunting Forum

Caught something in our Hog trap

Posted By: Snared!!

Caught something in our Hog trap - 01/09/12 07:06 PM

took a youth who had never been hunting to cull a doe or spike for me. Poor guy shot and missed a doe.

Was going to bring him again the next day, but decided to set the trap and run snares as an added bonus to try and ensure he got something.

The next day we head out there about 12:30.

As I pull up to the trapp, looking through the trees I see a black thing with 4 legs in the trap. I holler back we got one boys.
I drove around the the front for the clear view.

Re: Caught something in our Hog trap - 01/09/12 07:07 PM

This dog is getting on my nerves. Lease neighbors dog, he likes hanging out at the hog pipe. He just seems to be smelling around.

As a dog lover I have mixed feelings on what I would like to do to this nuisance dog.

Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: Caught something in our Hog trap - 01/09/12 07:07 PM

Haha, nice probably wouldn't eat very well. Or at least I wouldn't want to know anyway.

Posted By: Hill Country Hunter

Re: Caught something in our Hog trap - 01/09/12 07:09 PM

Was the dog looking for food? Tagged or collared?

Posted By: RocksAndKittens

Re: Caught something in our Hog trap - 01/09/12 07:25 PM

Hah, you already trapped him. If the dog's owner doesn't want to keep it restrained you're halfway to taking it to the shelter.

Posted By: txshntr

Re: Caught something in our Hog trap - 01/09/12 07:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Snared!!
This dog is getting on my nerves. Lease neighbors dog, he likes hanging out at the hog pipe. He just seems to be smelling around.

As a dog lover I have mixed feelings on what I would like to do to this nuisance dog.

Pretty sure I would be having a very firm and informative discussion with the lease neighbor

Posted By: Roo

Re: Caught something in our Hog trap - 01/09/12 07:29 PM

Where did you catch him at?

Re: Caught something in our Hog trap - 01/09/12 07:33 PM

One day I saw him from my blind, I looked up and saw what I believed to be a hog. I put gun up and when he raised his head I knew it was a dog.

I see this dog run across the pipeline where the electric poles go and he heads towards the only house within 2 miles of our lease. Have seen this dog 4 times since the friday before christmas.

He always hangs where the hogs have been and all he does is seem to smell around.

The hog pipe has hog wild and corn in it. The trap was baited with pineapples peelings and soured corn. We always see him at these two places. he does not seemed malnuorished or anything so I believe he is just curious.

There is a hope no kill rescue center 5 miles from where we hunt. He might end up there if I catch him again.

To top it off, had a hog on a snare that got off. May have been a small one, but snare was knocked off fenceline and was pulled tight and extended the full 3 ft outward.

Running hogs all weekend this weekend, will see if this dog is around again. Hopefully getting trapped scared the piss out of him and he stays away.

Re: Caught something in our Hog trap - 01/09/12 07:38 PM

No collar or tags. My lease is 2 miles north of Hearne along the little brazos river.

Posted By: BenBob

Re: Caught something in our Hog trap - 01/09/12 07:41 PM

Tell his owners.

Re: Caught something in our Hog trap - 01/09/12 07:44 PM

I need to drive down there and confirm its his dog. Nice guy, our places are the only places in the area. We(me, the hunters on lease with me and the neighbor)have all agreed to never shoot any buck unless its 10 points or more or a cull buck.

To my knowledge he has abided by this rules and as we have.

If it is his I'm sure he will take the steps to keep him away.

Not sure what I'm going to do if it isnt his.

Might be feral as far as I know, BUT while he was angry and scared and nipping at us through trap when poked with a stick, he didn't seem real aggressive or feral either.

Posted By: RocksAndKittens

Re: Caught something in our Hog trap - 01/09/12 07:44 PM

He also looks like he could pass as a lab or lab-mix. If you are concerned about kill shelters you might could search for lab rescues that have openings.

Posted By: Roo

Re: Caught something in our Hog trap - 01/09/12 07:47 PM

A guy down the road from me caught one that looked exactly like that. Then a week later it showed up at my house. I drove all the county roads around me and couldn't find the owner, posted ads on facebook and craigslist to see if anyone lost their dog so I took it to the pound. Then 3 days after I took that dog to the pound another one showed up that looked exactly like the one before.
here is a pic of the one that was caught.

Re: Caught something in our Hog trap - 01/09/12 07:48 PM

Definitely looks lab mixed for sure. Ya I'll only hit a no kill shelter. Dogs deserve a chance even if their owners are dumbasses. I have 2 labs so momma ain't letting a 3rd dog in the house unless I sleep outside and that ain't happening lol!!

Posted By: jmc82

Re: Caught something in our Hog trap - 01/09/12 07:52 PM

Shoot, shovel, shut up. I believe thats the solution.

Re: Caught something in our Hog trap - 01/09/12 07:57 PM

Woo Roo, yours looks slightly smaller but twins otherwise!!!

Ya JMC82 I have seriously thought about it. If it was a cat he would be dead already. Really like dogs though, especially labs.

I'll talk to lease neighbor 1st then make a decision.

Posted By: BenBob

Re: Caught something in our Hog trap - 01/09/12 07:59 PM

Originally Posted By: jmc82

I might agree if it was the owners that you were talking about. Most of the time it is a people problem and not a dog problem.

Posted By: huskerhunter

Re: Caught something in our Hog trap - 01/09/12 08:48 PM

If it were me, I'd make a call or go visit the neighbor. If its his, ask him to go remove it from your trap. That should be very point blank, and in my opinion not rude.

Posted By: coreybasshunter

Re: Caught something in our Hog trap - 01/09/12 08:49 PM

have you tried shooting to scare him, when he was int the trap i would have released him and shot and yelled a few times. we had three dogs running around our property, im sure they were just strays, didnt really want to shoot them so i tried the scaring method. scared them so bad two of them ran off peeing on themselves havent seen them again its been about two months.

Posted By: dkite

Re: Caught something in our Hog trap - 01/09/12 09:49 PM

As someone that is on a lease and next door to a large 4000 + acre lease. As the neighbor I would really appreciate you coming and telling me that my dog is in your trap please come get it. Keep a honest role with each other and they will be just as honest I would bet. Also remember they are there 24/7 and know when you are there and not. Not that I would do anything to the lease my self but some people may not be so nice if you up and shoot their dog.

Re: Caught something in our Hog trap - 01/09/12 11:58 PM

Ya gonna visit him Saturday when we go out there for a weekend Hog round up.

Was to funny not to share. Just when I thought I had seen it all hunting, something else happens to prove mewrong.

Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: Caught something in our Hog trap - 01/10/12 12:26 AM

A hard decision to make. Have a dog problem here and dread trapping and SSS.

Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Caught something in our Hog trap - 01/10/12 12:32 AM

up

for repeated offenses.

Posted By: Txkiller

Re: Caught something in our Hog trap - 01/10/12 12:57 AM

I caught my ridgeback like that, I did my best to find the owners and nobody showed up best dog I ever had.

Posted By: coolJoeRincon

Re: Caught something in our Hog trap - 01/10/12 07:04 PM

give that dog a jimmy hoffa ride that's the way to handle that

Posted By: BIG BEN

Re: Caught something in our Hog trap - 01/10/12 09:54 PM

Originally Posted By: TurkeyHunter

up

for repeated offenses.

And everyone wonders why it is so hard to get places to hunt. Actions like that give all hunters bad reputations.

Posted By: Shanem628

Re: Caught something in our Hog trap - 01/11/12 02:32 AM

Haha funny pic

Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Caught something in our Hog trap - 01/11/12 11:37 AM

Responsible rural property owners know to keep their dogs penned. The neighbors really don't want them. During the 2nd half of the season I saw only dogs at my game cameras during the day.

Talking to irresponsible neighbors hasn't worked. Sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands. I have in the past and will in the future.

Posted By: BIG BEN

Re: Caught something in our Hog trap - 01/11/12 04:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson
Responsible rural property owners know to keep their dogs penned. The neighbors really don't want them. During the 2nd half of the season I saw only dogs at my game cameras during the day.

Talking to irresponsible neighbors hasn't worked. Sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands. I have in the past and will in the future.

I can uderstand that but still it is illegal in texas to shoot any domestic animal feral or not. Call the county animal control, they can fine the dogs owner or even better take care of the dog for you. I hunt with dogs and people think that its OK to shoot a dog just for being on their land. Thats not true, a dog owner can bring civil and criminal charges to the shooter. Its not worth it.

Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Caught something in our Hog trap - 01/11/12 11:16 PM

Please don't get me wrong. I hate killing dogs and I usually get sick when I do it. OK, I'm an old softie and haven't shot a dog in several years.

In my County, there is no County Animal Control. So, about 3 years ago I called the Sheriffs Office. They told me that it was not their responsibility and to just take care of the problem myself. I did ask if there was anyone else to call and was told no. I and others around the area have talked to the dogs owners and that has done no good. Other Ranchers around me have been shooting them for years but the people just keep getting more of them. Heck, I don't want to shoot them but what other recourse is there. I have a HUGE investment(for me) in my property and I now only use it for fishing, hunting and 4 wheelering. I don't live there and no longer raise cattle. Thanks to several rude neighbors I can't enjoy my property the way I would like to. My Grandson and I recently had a dog stand its ground growling at us. I didn't have a gun with me or it would have been a dead dog. Another time my Wife and I were walking the property and dogs showed up and started barking at us. They certainly weren't scared.

Please understand; I don't want to shoot dogs.

Also please understand this. At 69 I'm in damn good shape but I can't outrun them and don't want to be in a position that makes me. I really don't like the idea of having to have a gun with me to protect myself.

Another thing is that I'm an old time Native Texan who really isn't used to calling on anyone to solve my problems. I try to do it the friendly way first but after that I do what I have to do.

Posted By: Dwight

Re: Caught something in our Hog trap - 01/11/12 11:51 PM

My place is in Grayson county. I hear dogs all around my little 40acs, so far none on the place while I'm there, but rest assured, if they come on my place running ANY game, I will shoot to kill. Then disposose of carcass.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum