Texas Hunting Forum

Javelina

Posted By: TEXAN1970

Javelina - 12/02/11 02:48 AM

Hey, just curious are those Javelina good to eat ???

Posted By: GriffGruff78

Re: Javelina - 12/02/11 05:24 AM

This is one man's opinion, but I don't think so. I can fight down the meat of a big, gnarly boar if it's been smoked or slow roasted but I had a really bad experience with chicken fried javelina a few years ago and now the mere mention kinda' makes me want to vomit.

Then again, if you like black pepper and tabasco you can make anything taste good.

Posted By: stinkbelly

Re: Javelina - 12/02/11 01:08 PM

I had them made into tamales and they were really good.

Posted By: Hill Country Hunter

Re: Javelina - 12/02/11 03:08 PM

The last javelina I shot I had made into hamburger/chili and it was good. The trick is cleaning and taking care of the meat. If you keep the quarters I learned to marinate with Coke for a couple of days. The sugar and carbonation go to work on the meat.

Posted By: Navasot

Re: Javelina - 12/02/11 03:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Hill Country Hunter
The last javelina I shot I had made into hamburger/chili and it was good. The trick is cleaning and taking care of the meat. If you keep the quarters I learned to marinate with Coke for a couple of days. The sugar and carbonation go to work on the meat.

^^^the same gos with biger pigs as well....cleanin the animal right can keep alot of "stout" flavor from gettin in the meat

Posted By: Erich

Re: Javelina - 12/04/11 06:38 PM

they are not premium, but they are edible. as always a sow is better than a boar and a younger animal is better than older. be very careful when shooting and cleaning them. head shots are best. tey have a musk gland under the hide along their backs. long as they are clean killed, and proper care taken in cleaning. they eat good. we have smoked them and used them in sausage. very lean. leaner than deer. and a little dark. but not any gamier than anything else if properly cared for.

Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Javelina - 12/05/11 07:28 PM

Not meaning to hijack but when do they start becoming more diurnal. I've got a location with tons of sign but can't seem to find them at all.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum