Texas Hunting Forum

Hog Hunts...No Fee

Posted By: Don Dial

Hog Hunts...No Fee - 11/24/11 02:08 AM

My hunting buddy and I have cull shot ranches in So Texas for
the past 10 yrs...Having been reared in the cattle and stock
business, I can appreciate the problems..however, the new mentality of trying to make money off every thing...to doo
with hunters, and hunting is self defeating...HOGs are the No1
Predator, and problem in Texas...Without drastic measures they
will increase...

I am willing to cull shoot...for free hogs anywhere within
100 miles or so or San Antonio...I'd prefer to do so to elim.
some ranchers problems, and will take some of the meat..if not
all...But I wouldn't pay .15cents to shoot a pig...DD

Posted By: cmc

Re: Hog Hunts...No Fee - 11/24/11 01:15 PM

You and every other person with a gun, that's the problem.

Posted By: Bob in TX

Re: Hog Hunts...No Fee - 11/24/11 02:16 PM

grin popcorn

Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Hog Hunts...No Fee - 11/24/11 03:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Don Dial
My hunting buddy and I have cull shot ranches in So Texas for
the past 10 yrs...Having been reared in the cattle and stock
business, I can appreciate the problems..however, the new mentality of trying to make money off every thing...to doo
with hunters, and hunting is self defeating...HOGs are the No1
Predator, and problem in Texas...Without drastic measures they
will increase...

I am willing to cull shoot...for free hogs anywhere within
100 miles or so or San Antonio...I'd prefer to do so to elim.
some ranchers problems, and will take some of the meat..if not
all...But I wouldn't pay .15cents to shoot a pig...DD

This has been discussed on the forum quite a bit lately. The best thing to do is quietly forget about what you just asked.

hanged

Posted By: Erich

Re: Hog Hunts...No Fee - 11/24/11 04:34 PM

i know there is a lot of hogs out there and they do cause damage. but if they were as terrible a problem and threat as they are made out to be, then people would really let you hunt them for free. and free hunting for hogs or anything just doesnt exist. not within 500mi of SA let alone 100. there sure is one hell of a hunting industry geared toward hog hunting and tons of ranches and people out there that specialize in it. i know they need to be controlled. but i think there'd be a lot of dissapointed hunters our there thatd be wishing to have the pigs back if they ever were erradicated.

recreational hunting is rapidly becoming maybe the most profitable use of rural acreage. and hogs are in the top 5 animals on the list.

i agree with you completely on cost though. i dont think hunting should cost what it does. i hate to see it so industrialized. it blows my mind what some people will pay for a deer these days. it ruins the pastime for a lot of folks.

Re: Hog Hunts...No Fee - 11/25/11 11:16 PM

One of the ranches I cull shoot sold a buck for $15000 a couple
of yrs ago, and the ranch across the road sold one for $25000 that didn't score as high...That hunter tipped his guide $20 after 2 wks. looking for it...Unfortunately Corp. and some quite
wealthy folks have over commercialized what was once a sport, and
really a growing expierence for kids with their fathers. Not much we can do about it, but you might notice that other states
have govt. land and their hunting for residents is much less..DD

Posted By: Punkin

Re: Hog Hunts...No Fee - 11/25/11 11:30 PM

Don, I understand what you're saying, and where you're coming from, but there are landowners on this forum willing to get you on their land for PEANUTS, and in addition, they are willing to hunt WITH you, (I don't wanna punk Matt out, but he actually fed me both nights too...I owe him some beef...) They share our passion, and they have something you and I don't have...the land with the animals on it that you want to hunt!

Just find the right fit, where you'd be willing to pay -- for the companionship, the lodging, the food, or just to hunt...if you can't find the fit, you're just being unreasonable. I've driven over 65 hours to PAY to UNSUCCESSFULLY hunt pigs in the last 8 months (I live in Colorado now)...and I had a kick [censored] time each and every time!

Re: Hog Hunts...No Fee - 11/25/11 11:33 PM

To Matt, and others on this forum who have made pig hunts affordable for the rest of us, thanks! Maybe I should't promote you...you all might raise your prices!

Posted By: luvpigmeet

Re: Hog Hunts...No Fee - 11/26/11 12:23 AM

Punkin,
I live in PA. Can you PM me Matt's info? Would love to hunt pigs for an affordable price. Especially after having to pay Airfare to Texas. Thanks. If he is not an Outfitter, then sorry to bother you.

Posted By: rckslve

Re: Hog Hunts...No Fee - 11/26/11 01:07 AM

i let folks hunt on my place for nothing, ill take a bottle of bourbon or sack of corn if they please. if i could guarantee a hog to a hunter, id charge and it would not bother me one bit. its hard for a working farm to make it in any circumstance, and if folks are willing to pay over $100 bucks for a three hour football game plust 20 to 50 parking, or 30 to take kids to a movie, i see nothing wrong in chqrging them for use of your land. my hunters dont bother me, and they take excellent care of my property, im glad to have them. but they get lots of benefit too, or they would not be here.

Re: Hog Hunts...No Fee - 11/26/11 01:30 AM

rckslve,
I hunt on a farm in PA. Been hunting there for about 12 years. The owner passed away and his wife is in a home. His son(60) lives two farms down. I still call them before I go and hunt their land. I am always asking him if he needs some help around the place. The farm is open for public hunting. I am respectful to people and people's property. This is the way I was raised. I am also Retired Army. Just looking for a place to hunt some hogs. Tired of HF Hunting. I love hogs as much as most people love Deer. Maybe I can hunt on your property. I would give you something for the right to do this.

Re: Hog Hunts...No Fee - 11/26/11 02:10 AM

Rick, I'll give you a call next time I head down that way...I'm down for a BIG bottle of Crown if I might have a chance of whacking a food-grade hog. I couldn't give half a crap about a trophy hog, I want smoker-quality pork, and lots of it!

Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: Hog Hunts...No Fee - 11/26/11 06:04 AM

So let me get this straight.... I could have someone pay me 200 bucks to come out and shoot hogs... or I could let you do it for free with the same outcome... I'll just take the paying customers..

Like one or two dudes out on our place with rifles would even put a dent in the population... give me a break.

Posted By: jdh78

Re: Hog Hunts...No Fee - 11/26/11 05:03 PM

Rick-

My dad and I were out at you place back on the 15th. No hogs but plenty of signs. Saw a deer and a bunch of you neighbours cattle, though.

Thanks again for letting us on you place. I do not get alot of time off from work and cannot afford to get on a lease. For a bottle of bourbon and a couple sacks of corn it was a priveledge to be on your property.

We'd love to try our luck again, maybe after the holidays and deer season are over. If you holidays are like many you may be dry on whiskey by then

Thanks,

Daniel

Posted By: rckslve

Re: Hog Hunts...No Fee - 11/26/11 05:32 PM

lol youre right, i have plenty of help drinking it!

Re: Hog Hunts...No Fee - 11/26/11 07:14 PM

Just for you guys edification...I've hunted this area for over
40yrs..from San Antonio So to past Encinal, and W past Sabinal,
Utopia, Uvalde..I've also paid for deer leases, and sold them...

I've also hunted for FREE in Floresville Peanut fields, ect..I'm
the first guy to emp. and sympathize with a Rancher..One who makes his living from the Land...Most landowners are not ranchers. Costs of land out distances it productions by Thousands
of $ per acre in some countys..

But, Hogs will and do preditate, animals and animal habitat, fences, pets, quail, CROPS, Fields and Fences..They are a problem

We are a capitolistic society...so, if you can make money selling
something..more power to you..I do my part and then some where I
hunt, which includes skinning, cooking & cleaning, buying groc. &
Beer..but I will not pay to kill pigs..You can, and you can charge for it...but I wasn't born yesterday, and do not have the
bucks to waste any more...Wish you guys well, and I like hunting
probably as much as anyone...but I also know what a varmit, or problem is, and I only contribute...but won't pay the ranches overhead...That's what Cows, Crops, and USDA do...DD

Re: Hog Hunts...No Fee - 11/26/11 07:23 PM

now I am really confused. I guess i will stay in PA. and hunt the piggies in the preserves. Pay or not pay. that is the question.

Re: Hog Hunts...No Fee - 11/27/11 01:24 AM

Rick, I know I toasted you in another thread, but I'll do it again. Class landowners like yourself are great. Even better (or at least equal) is hunters that appreciate you enough to bring you a bottle, and a few bags of corn. I'm all about that kind of agreement. Perhaps someday we'll meet.

Re: Hog Hunts...No Fee - 11/27/11 01:26 AM

LuvPiggies...as I sent to you privately, there are MANY awesome landowners in Texas who will have you. It's just not a guaranteed gig, and it will cost you a few bones...I've had nothing but AWESOME experiences (and never pulled the trigger) with cool landowners who appreciated the sport. Maybe I need more friends, but I'm happy to pay for some! :-)

Posted By: jmc82

Re: Hog Hunts...No Fee - 11/27/11 01:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Punkin
Rick, I know I toasted you in another thread, but I'll do it again. Class landowners like yourself are great. Even better (or at least equal) is hunters that appreciate you enough to bring you a bottle, and a few bags of corn. I'm all about that kind of agreement. Perhaps someday we'll meet.

Rick sent me his number a while back. I just can't find the time to take him up on his offer. He is a stand up guy for sure. Hell, I may just take him some corn for the offer.

Re: Hog Hunts...No Fee - 11/27/11 03:30 PM

It is very simple. You don't want to pay to hunt on someones land. THEN DON'T! Buy your own land, set up a feeder, build a cabin and go shoot all the pigs you want. What if the only way you could enjoy wild pork was to go to a high fence and shoot some thing eating out of your hand and then pay the guy $600 to do it. Then pay $150 for lodging and a meal. Oh by the way, the whole hunt lasted 10 minutes. I want to hunt wild hogs. I will pay for a stand up outfitter or land owner. Think about what you have in Texas. Sorry so long. These post don't make sense to me.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum