Texas Hunting Forum

hogs avoid my trap

Posted By: 30ft jon boat

hogs avoid my trap - 11/15/11 12:14 AM

hogs are getting smart.they wont go into the trap.i have used hen scratch fermented..normal corn and now peach jello powder with all of the above..game cam shows lots of hogs and deer...what say you hog trapping guru's

Posted By: bwk1975

Re: hogs avoid my trap - 11/15/11 12:56 AM

what kind of trap are you using? can you post some pictures?

Posted By: BigLar

Re: hogs avoid my trap - 11/15/11 12:57 AM

move it !

Posted By: casterbuster

Re: hogs avoid my trap - 11/15/11 01:18 AM

I like camo my trap a lot of cedar branches work well... I usually place it as close to a tree as possible and then brush it in... it seems to help

Posted By: big-tex

Re: hogs avoid my trap - 11/15/11 01:24 AM

trap shy, move trap

Posted By: 30ft jon boat

Re: hogs avoid my trap - 11/15/11 01:34 AM

how far would you move the trap..in yardage i dont have alot of room to move the trap ....it is 4x4x9ft swing gate

Posted By: FIREDAVIS

Re: hogs avoid my trap - 11/15/11 01:45 AM

Move it a little and brush it in. I would pin up the doors and use just corn and a bottle of big red soda poured all over. Let them hit it a few times like that and then set it.

Posted By: Central Texas Hog Traps

Re: hogs avoid my trap - 11/15/11 04:31 PM

we always leave out gates tird back until they get used to going inside the trap
also, we use about 3 gallon bucket of corn, with a cup of diesel mixed into the corn(to keep the deer out), pour some corn in front of the trap, some in the center, and the rest by the trip rod
we also pour pig out in the corn

Posted By: Crews

Re: hogs avoid my trap - 11/15/11 11:32 PM

are you doing the little things..... like wearing rubber boots, not spitting/dipping/pissing around the trap, not driving your truck/4wheeler right up to the trap?

Posted By: Navasot

Re: hogs avoid my trap - 11/15/11 11:47 PM

tye the trap door up for a few nights and let them get use to it...helps with gettin more than one at a time...if they still wont go near it...move it not far at all and brush it in...

Posted By: dgilbert

Re: hogs avoid my trap - 11/15/11 11:48 PM

Originally Posted By: 30ft jon boat
hogs are getting smart.they wont go into the trap.i have used hen scratch fermented..normal corn and now peach jello powder with all of the above..game cam shows lots of hogs and deer...what say you hog trapping guru's

Put some diesel corn in there, they can't resist it.

Posted By: skinnerback

Re: hogs avoid my trap - 11/16/11 08:07 PM

How long has your trap been there? Is it near water, game trails, ruts, brush, open field? Don't know your land or all of your details, pigs often act different on different properties so it's hard to say from here. One thing that's important to do is to tie your gate open & feed that trap every time you go to the property. I always feed my traps heavy, (50# sack) at a time/year round. On a new set-up sometimes it takes them a while to warm up to it, but once they do & they start hitting your corn on a regular basis it's time to set it, (especially if you have some help lol). Also, on the attractants....I've tried them all & in many combinations. Yes, I've trapped pigs with Pig Out, Hog Wild, different flavors of jello, sour corn, molasses, etc etc. But at least where I run my traps, it seems I actually spook more of them than I catch. I stopped using all the attractants & went back to just plain ol' corn & that made all the difference for me. Don't get too discouraged either, sometimes the pigs either aren't around at that time or just are not hungry enough to enter the trap. I've scratched my head plenty too in the past wondering how come I'm not catching any. I've had several months go by without a pig ever touching the trap & then "whammo" it was on. Shoot the pigs in trap & drag em' out, pour more corn right on top of the blood & scat in the trap, re-set trap, next morning you have more to clean. You just never really know with them pigs lol. Good luck to you!

Posted By: skinnerback

Re: hogs avoid my trap - 11/17/11 09:49 PM

Just an example here, this is one of the two traps that I run on this property. I dump a sack of corn in each one every chance I get with the gate tied open. Set both traps yesterday, checked them this morning....7 bbq'ers in one trap, 1 big pig in the other. Popped them all & drug them out, tied the gate open & fed again, will be ready to re-set soon & do it all over again smile

Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: hogs avoid my trap - 11/19/11 10:04 AM

I've tried all of those things. Even with the door tied back and diesel on the corn, they won't go in. One friend had successfully trapped hogs on his place and brought his trap to my place, set it, and after a year gave up.

I still try from time to time but have neither luck nor skill.

Posted By: BruiserOutlaw

Re: hogs avoid my trap - 11/19/11 10:34 AM

Do you have hogs?

A sack of corn??? WOW..

This is what I used to do.. Had hogs coming to a area.. Looked like a tiller been there.. When I baited my trap. I spread corn all over.. then in a little trail to the door.. pour some extra so they want it.. Used the sweet stuff.. I used the sour stuff.. I think they like it.. They will go in without it..
I never brushed one in, but feel it would help..
I never used diesel fuel, but it sounds cool . I will have to remember that one
Snares will catch pigs.. They like to travel the same way over and over again.. Find where they are coming though a fence or something.. Set your snare there... Tie off good. Holy smoke it is wild when you have one on.. Here is the drawback.. you can snag other stuff too and it will kill it.. I always caught a hog in the thing and the tough SOBs was always alive..
Good luck

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum