Texas Hunting Forum

Best draw weight with bow for hogs

Posted By: sandman05

Best draw weight with bow for hogs - 10/14/11 10:39 PM

Want to know what is the best draw weight to take out hogs with a bow is 65#s good? I also have a spyder bow at 25# will that work if not so I can use my browning f5 tornado thanks for any input

Posted By: Ponyboy

Re: Best draw weight with bow for hogs - 10/14/11 10:50 PM

65# should be fine, some people use less. I don't think I'd try the 25# unless it was on a really small hog.

Even with the 65# you probably won't get many pass throughs on bigger hogs.

David shot a big one two weeks ago with his 70# draw and he probably got 10" of penetration. It ran about 400 yards and we found it with the arrow still perfectly intact.

On hogs I'd say the higher draw weight the better.

Posted By: big-tex

Re: Best draw weight with bow for hogs - 10/14/11 10:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Ponyboy

On hogs I'd say the higher draw weight the better.

Sounds about right, you need penetration

Posted By: bjankowski

Re: Best draw weight with bow for hogs - 10/14/11 11:56 PM

My compounds are set at 65 and my long bow and recure's I shoot are over 50#, I wouldn't shoot a pig with anything under 40#, I don't think you'll do much good. I have had complete pass thrus and not been able to find them, with a hog it's all about placement.

Posted By: djones

Re: Best draw weight with bow for hogs - 10/15/11 12:27 PM

I've only shot about a dozen or so with a bow, none were real big though. Only had two that weren't pass throughs. Shooting 60lbs. Broadhead may have a lot to do with penetration too. I have a lot of muzzy 3 blades and I've had good luck so I haven't bothered to try others.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum