Texas Hunting Forum

Want to build a trap.

Posted By: thewrap

Want to build a trap. - 09/09/11 01:16 AM

I want to build a trap/pen for hogs that deer can still get in a out of. What I'm thinking of is some wire panels in 4gauge wire strapped with wire to some T posts then a trip wire in the back. Anyone built something like this and remember what you used and maybe have some pics? Also what'd it cost to build.

Posted By: Aboud

Re: Want to build a trap. - 09/09/11 02:17 AM

Look into building a figure six shape pen out of panels. They will funnel in and keep on coming in. No trip wire needed. I can't post pics but just google it or do a search on here. Very simple and very effective

Posted By: trapperjustin

Re: Want to build a trap. - 09/09/11 12:44 PM

Last time I used a trap like that they broke out. I stick to welded traps now

Posted By: pafree

Re: Want to build a trap. - 09/09/11 01:56 PM

there is the 6 shaped trap style as suggested and the heart shape style. put T-post about every 8 feet. over lap the seams about a foot. use galvanized wire (electric fence wire) to hold it together. (had trouble with nongalvanized rusting and breaking) 5 foot high panels are better to prevent jumpers but they more expensive. use the 4x4 squares to help keep the smaller ones in. tractor supply will sometimes give discounts on bent ones. then you will need a gate of some kind. example: http://houston.craigslist.org/spo/2523579392.html if you weld then you can build one alot keeper and i thought about a wider (10 foot) gate with two doors. something wide enough to fit the ranger through to fill the feeder. i even thought about adding a second trap door on the other side of the corral trap so it is easier for the pigs to get in. i use the black tar catfish trot line string for a trip wire. they are going to tear it up and it is easy to replace.

Re: Want to build a trap. - 09/09/11 03:12 PM

I think mostly what I need is a door. I kind of prefer a swing style door where hogs can still get in but not out. Does anyone make anything like this or is it pretty much just DIY.

Re: Want to build a trap. - 09/09/11 04:31 PM

Originally Posted By: thewrap
I think mostly what I need is a door. I kind of prefer a swing style door where hogs can still get in but not out. Does anyone make anything like this or is it pretty much just DIY.

example: http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u...aps#Post2567176 this is the rooter door style. check with him, he build what you want.

Posted By: Aboud

Re: Want to build a trap. - 09/09/11 08:13 PM

Originally Posted By: trapperjustin
Last time I used a trap like that they broke out. I stick to welded traps now

Im sorry to say but if you have had the "break" out you built a half [censored] pen. Only time i had them get out was when i was on top of bedrock and couldnt get the post in far enough. I have trapped 100s of hogs and had very good luck. Spending hundreds on a swing gate is pointless in my opinion when u can acheive the same with a few old cattle or hog panels.

Posted By: Zeus

Re: Want to build a trap. - 09/11/11 12:04 AM

You ought to check out the research that Rod Pinkston did on the different types of trap doors. He has video posted on his website that might surprise most people. He has designed a remote control trap with a ten foot wide gate. I have one of his gates and the last time I shut it I caught 26 hogs. It is the only trap I know of that gurantees you will catch the whole sounder. His videos are posted at Jagerpro.com if you are interested.

Posted By: TX_Huntress

Re: Want to build a trap. - 09/12/11 04:58 PM

This was set up on my inlaws place in east TX. The common cage style ones just weren't getting them anywhere. When we started using this, we got lots of hogs.

The first customers, the very next morning.

Re: Want to build a trap. - 09/12/11 05:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Zeus
You ought to check out the research that Rod Pinkston did on the different types of trap doors. He has video posted on his website that might surprise most people. He has designed a remote control trap with a ten foot wide gate. I have one of his gates and the last time I shut it I caught 26 hogs. It is the only trap I know of that gurantees you will catch the whole sounder. His videos are posted at Jagerpro.com if you are interested.

Do you know where the info is on whether or not they are selling it cause that would be awesome.

Posted By: TX_Huntress

Re: Want to build a trap. - 09/12/11 06:03 PM

Here's the article

http://www.jagerpro.com/trapping.aspx

Re: Want to build a trap. - 09/12/11 10:31 PM

The last time I talked to him he was going to have the first ones for sale toward the end of October. He is going to mass produce these and he is trying to work out some things with the different manufacturers involved. I will call him and see if I can get a sure day that they will be available. I will let you know.

Re: Want to build a trap. - 09/13/11 12:33 AM

I spoke with Rod and he said that after a meeting next tuesday with a manufacturer he could give me a date that they would be available. Go to the youtube link on his sight and he has video of the trap in action at the bottom of the page.

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Want to build a trap. - 09/13/11 12:40 AM

Originally Posted By: TX_Huntress
This was set up on my inlaws place in east TX. The common cage style ones just weren't getting them anywhere. When we started using this, we got lots of hogs.

The first customers, the very next morning.

upThis is the best and cheapest trap to build. I have seen them done with one panel and T-posts and they are very effective you just have to check the every morning and make them 5' tall. Use a stick to set inbetween the door opening and only wide enough for a hog or 2 to squeeze in and the rest will follow them in. I have used these over the last 15 yrs or so.

Posted By: passthru

Re: Want to build a trap. - 09/13/11 02:22 AM

Looks like the fence is just curled in on itself. Like a self sealing crack.

Re: Want to build a trap. - 09/13/11 02:38 AM

Originally Posted By: passthru
Looks like the fence is just curled in on itself. Like a self sealing crack.

Exactly up Think of more rounded "heart" shape though.

Posted By: TMonjure

Re: Want to build a trap. - 09/13/11 02:59 AM

Great Idea looks like it works good!!

Posted By: DFWPI

Re: Want to build a trap. - 09/13/11 03:06 AM

Interesting

Posted By: DSST_Construction

Re: Want to build a trap. - 09/13/11 07:23 AM

so for the heart shaped traps you put a stick in the opening and once there in how doesnt the stick get moved where it closes the panels?

Re: Want to build a trap. - 09/13/11 01:03 PM

Originally Posted By: DSST_Construction
so for the heart shaped traps you put a stick in the opening and once there in how doesnt the stick get moved where it closes the panels?

You do not use a very long stick. The size of the hog going into the opening in the trap will dictate how long the stick needs to be keeping it open so that the hogs have to squeeze thru the opening so to speak. You can also tie a trip string onto the stick.

Re: Want to build a trap. - 09/13/11 02:51 PM

I've been debating trying that setup.

Re: Want to build a trap. - 09/13/11 02:56 PM

Originally Posted By: thewrap
I've been debating trying that setup.

if you don't like the way it works then you could always add a gate.

Posted By: redchevy

Re: Want to build a trap. - 09/13/11 03:39 PM

Is the Stick intended to fall out and close after the first hog goes through?

Where do you plce the bait when setting a trap like this?

I would assume a pile in the middle and some at and infront of the door/crack.

Re: Want to build a trap. - 09/13/11 03:57 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Is the Stick intended to fall out and close after the first hog goes through?

Where do you plce the bait when setting a trap like this?

I would assume a pile in the middle and some at and infront of the door/crack.

That depends on the length of the stick you use. You can use a smaller stick to catch smaller pigs are a larger one to let smaller ones in and then when the bigger hog comes thru it brushes the panels open wider causing the stick to fall out. Other hogs will continue to push/root in as the opening is recessed back like a funnel. I put corn from the outside into the trap and the largest amount all around the inside. Great thing is deer can jump out if the do get inside.

Posted By: redchevy

Re: Want to build a trap. - 09/13/11 04:09 PM

Yeah that is what Im kinda hoping is deer can get out we have caught several now in our other trap and I dont like it. The hogs around us get trapped hard by a neighboring farmer so they are very trap shy and wont go near our old hog trap which worked just fine in the hill country.

matt

Re: Want to build a trap. - 09/13/11 04:17 PM

This type of trap can be moved also just more of a pain if blood get to be a problem. I have also made them in the shape of the numer "9" with a the wing of the 9 funneling the hogs into the center of the 9.

Posted By: Mountain hunter

Re: Want to build a trap. - 09/18/11 05:57 AM

Cool

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum