Texas Hunting Forum

Steel Trap Help?

Posted By: TXW

Steel Trap Help? - 07/05/11 03:39 AM

I've got several of the Duke traps and haven't used them in a year. Put them out this weekend to capture a few protein thieves and was able to catch one. The rest of the traps had been thrown. The unlucky one was only caught by 3 toes. Any tips on getting these traps back in new condition so I don't have any "misses"?

Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Steel Trap Help? - 07/05/11 04:30 AM

Check and make sure they have not warped if they are coil springs. Look at the bottom base plate and see if it's straight. If they are straight, boil them in dye and dip them in wax.

After burying them in your set, use coffee filters over the pans and tuck the edges under the jaws to protect the works and then sift dirt over the filter until it's smooth with the ground.

Posted By: jdw

Re: Steel Trap Help? - 07/05/11 04:32 AM

www.trapperman.com

Posted By: kyotee1

Re: Steel Trap Help? - 07/05/11 03:07 PM

Sounds like the traps are set too light or hair trigger if you caught toes.

Make sure that when you bed the trap, the trap does not move not even a fraction except for the pan, otherwise the species will most likely dig the trap up.

You want the pan to give and the trap to go off at the same time, not a hair trigger like some may think, but enough tension on the pan and the dog so when enough pressure is placed upon the pan (when the animal's foot pressure is firmly on the pan) it goes off immediately.

Double swivel the chain, swivel at the trap and another one between the chain and where it anchored and the chain to the trap to reduce binding.

Never bait the trap itself, you want the bait, lure or urine beyond the trap so the animal has to set onto the trap instead of focusing their attention on the trap.

Good Luck!

Look into some Lil Griz or 220 Conibears - Lil Griz is a dog-proof trap and holds them securely, Conibears are quick kill works on a scissor hold.

Re: Steel Trap Help? - 07/05/11 04:37 PM

After some research last night, I decided to order a 1/2 dozen of the Duke DP coon traps. I like using the steel traps, but always worried about catching a deer since I am using them around my feeder pens. Can't wait to see how the DPs due in a few weeks!

Re: Steel Trap Help? - 07/05/11 07:36 PM

Good luck and keep us informed!

Posted By: MIGUEL

Re: Steel Trap Help? - 07/06/11 05:48 PM

Use marshmallows coons love them!

Re: Steel Trap Help? - 07/06/11 06:44 PM

Since the fire ants will find the marshmallows before the coons, will the fire ants keep the coons away?

Re: Steel Trap Help? - 07/06/11 08:41 PM

Definitely

Re: Steel Trap Help? - 07/06/11 09:13 PM

Probably just stick with the sardines in mustard sauce. The ants seem to stay away from those.

Posted By: MIGUEL

Re: Steel Trap Help? - 07/07/11 03:08 AM

Stupid fire ants! I forgot about that factor, but coon pee works well also.

Re: Steel Trap Help? - 07/07/11 12:15 PM

Originally Posted By: TXW
Probably just stick with the sardines in mustard sauce. The ants seem to stay away from those.

If you use those, you won't catch any coons, tried that back in the late 60's.

Sardines in oil can't be beat or peanut butter. If you have a problem with ants, a little Sevin dust around the set will help, but never use it for trapping coyotes, fox or bobcats.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum