Texas Hunting Forum

Panther spotted in aubrey?

Posted By: bullridingaddict

Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/27/11 05:27 AM

I live in Aubrey which most of you probably dont know where that is, but its about 10 miles north of Denton also which is about 40 miles north of Dallas. Anyways there is a pasture right next to the school and i have heard from a few CREDIBLE sources that there was a black panther spotted in that field yesterday. And they know for sure it wasnt a dog, cat, yote, fox, or bobcat because of the way it walked its larger size and its tail and the way it carried itself. I dont know how a panther would get down here? It just doesnt make sense? Any ideas? I've also heard of other sightings around aubrey i just dont know how this is possible?

Posted By: ZenArchery

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/27/11 06:23 AM

I believe it. I'm gonna post a pic soon once I clean it up!!!

Posted By: Hill Country Hunter

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/27/11 07:17 AM

popcorn

Posted By: kyotee1

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/27/11 12:49 PM

rofl

Posted By: JakeinTX

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/27/11 12:55 PM

Originally Posted By: LoveThe Hill Country
popcorn

x2

Posted By: BMD

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/27/11 12:55 PM

bs rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

roflmao roflmao roflmao

Posted By: sweetwilliam

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/27/11 01:18 PM

I have been hearing about that one for over three years now! Too many people seeing something for there not to be something to it!

Posted By: Bob in TX

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/27/11 01:59 PM

rofl hammer

Posted By: kagomez85

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/27/11 02:10 PM

i have spotted 2 in east texas about 10 years ago havent seen anything since

Posted By: OFBHWG

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/27/11 02:14 PM

There is NO such thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its hard to belive that in 2011 people still belive in Black Panthers.

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/27/11 02:24 PM

people have a hard time beliving that one may have escaped or been turned loose!

Posted By: pnh

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/27/11 02:34 PM

bs scared worthless

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/27/11 02:39 PM

And i hope you get to see some one day!

Posted By: Rebel.

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/27/11 02:42 PM

Did you happen to be in the ag shop, and did this CREDIBLE source happen to be T.Y.?

Oh and if you're my little brothers friend that drives red truck with a gray door, you might want to check some of those empty feed sacks in the back of your truck. There's a snake in one those sacks, and it should be pretty RIPE about now.

Posted By: pnh

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/27/11 02:44 PM

Some? I'd like to see just one, and I'll get a picture if my camera rofl doesn't malfunction!

Posted By: Rockinmyshoe

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/27/11 02:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Rebel.
Did you happen to be in the ag shop, and did this CREDIBLE source happen to be T.Y.?

Oh and if you're my little brothers friend that drives red truck with a gray door, you might want to check some of those empty feed sacks in the back of your truck. There's a snake in one those sacks, and it should be pretty RIPE about now.

popcorn

Posted By: Youngin'

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/27/11 02:50 PM

If your talkin about charvez I think I saw him out there

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/27/11 03:14 PM

Haha no im not using ty as a credible source and yeah my truck bed is pretty nasty right now haha....honestly you guys can all laugh i dont really care cause there are sightings more than a few times every year

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/27/11 03:17 PM

Also i never said it actually happened just wondering if it really is true how would a panther get out here

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/27/11 04:00 PM

It aibt true and no black cat exists unless it is a house cat. Unbelievable people still tell this made up bs

Posted By: Skylar Mac

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/27/11 04:06 PM

I heard of mtn lion and jaguar but not black panthers.
Heard several guys talk about duck hunting a lease I was on in Puducah, but they were Jags. And that was over ten years ago

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/27/11 04:14 PM

There are no jaguars in Paducah and never have been rofl

Posted By: Skylar Mac

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/27/11 04:18 PM

I'm just saying hat I have heard, this old man said the traveled up from Mexico, that's a long walk IMO but do what you got to do to get away fm the cartels rofl

Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/27/11 04:33 PM

While it is possible that there might be a large cat in the Aubrey area, as Brett Johnson has noted back in 2010, he hasn't been able to confirm a single sighting in the 6 years he has been investigating them in Denton County.
http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/drc/localnews/stories/DRC_sighting_1203.28be45104.html

Given that typical large cats that might be found here haven't been confirmed, it would be really unusual that an extremely rare melanistic variant would be here naturally. If there is one, then it is most likely an escaped "pet."

No black cat exists unless it is a house cat? Intersting consideration, but not quite right. The term "black panther" is applied to several species of melanistic variants (being mostly or all black) of large cats including mountain lions/cougars and jaguars. Note that mountain lions (Puma concolor) are sometimes called panthers, such as the Florida Panther.

Posted By: kyotee1

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/27/11 04:45 PM

Mountain Lion (Puma concolor)

Photo ©TPWD
Description
Body length: 3-4 ft. Tail: 2.5-3 ft. Height at shoulder: 25-30 in. Weight: 70-170 lbs.

The Mountain Lion is a large, slender cat with a smallish head and noticeably long tail. Its fur is a light, tawny brown color which can appear gray or almost black, depending on light conditions. Contrary to popular belief, there are no black panthers in North America; no one has ever captured or killed a black Mountain Lion. Mountain Lions are also called cougars, pumas, panthers, painters, and catamounts.

For more information see:

Mountain Lions of Texas (PDF 235.5 Kb)
Field Guide to the Mountain Lions of Texas (PDF 888.6 Kb)

Life History
Mountain Lions are relatively uncommon, secretive animals. They are carnivores that prey on a variety of animals; some favorites include deer and wild hogs. Other prey animals included in the Mountain Lion's diet are rabbits, jackrabbits, javelinas, and rodents. Some lions occasionally kill livestock or dogs.

The Mountain Lion is solitary, except during breeding. Their young (typically 2-3 cubs) can be born almost any time of the year. Females usually breed every two to three years.

Habitat
Mountain Lions generally are found in remote mountains, canyonlands, or hilly areas with good cover.

Distribution
The Mountain Lion has the widest distribution of any wild cat, from Canada to South America. Formerly distributed throughout North America, the Mountain Lion is now found mostly in the remote areas of the western U.S., as well as western Canada and much of Mexico. A small population still exists in southern Florida, where the species is considered endangered.

In Texas, the Mountain Lion is found throughout the Trans-Pecos, as well as the brushlands of south Texas and portions of the Hill Country. Sighting and kill reports indicate that Mountain Lions now occur in more counties than they did 10 years ago and appear to be expanding their range into central Texas.

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/27/11 07:44 PM

Mountain lion sounds a whooole lot better and i can see how it would appear darker in color in shade possibly?

Posted By: big l

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/27/11 07:53 PM

PICTURES-PICTURES-PICTURES

Posted By: Bowtech1233

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/27/11 07:55 PM

Are you sure it wasn't a chupacabra???

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/27/11 08:05 PM

Lol nope killed all them off already

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/27/11 08:29 PM

Quote:
of large cats including mountain lions/cougars

DNS- hammer

Cougars have NO melanistic phase, unlike jaguars and leopards...and thanks for pointing out that cougars are also called panthers...pumas too by the way. That still can't make them black.

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/27/11 08:31 PM

Most of the mountain lion sightings I hear of come from sources such as: alcoholics, drug addicts, city people who have no idea what real wildlife looks like, people who hunt, but are terrible at it; people who like to tell stories or are just simply full of sh!t, and those who like to say things just to see how people will react.

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/27/11 08:31 PM

Bob do you honestly not have anything better to do than dog on everyone else?

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/27/11 08:36 PM

Not when BS is posted. Cougars don't have a melanistic phase, period. Lots of folks come here for information. When inaccurate info is posted, it needs to be addressed. This is not about "opinions". Go back and read K1's post.

This thread will be closed shortly anyway like all the rest.

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/27/11 08:39 PM

You are such a dumba** i simply asked how it would be possible i never one time said it was 100% a black panther or that it was for sure even real so before you go around being jack@$$ read the whole thread

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/27/11 08:41 PM

And you ask Bob after posting this bs! rofl

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/27/11 08:43 PM

Theres no bs in a question, and rebel i talked to ty today and he was being serious with me and he swears there was something out there...now i know ty likes to put on a show lol and he was being dead serious with me

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/27/11 08:43 PM

Last resort....name calling.

My post had nothing to do with you sir.

I was not responding to any of your posts, just to what DNS posted about cougars having a melanistic phase. Reread my post.

Chill........go have a nice Memorial Day Weekend.

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/27/11 08:47 PM

"And you ask Bob after posting this bs!"

What does this even mean?

And bob my bad just seemed like the whole time you were dogging on me when all i did was ask a question

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/27/11 08:55 PM

Not at all. Folks are seeing things all the time that they think are black mountain lions. Most of them are good folks that just had bad light, a poor view, bad depth perception, or bad vision.

Like I said, have a great weekend. No harm, no foul.....

Posted By:

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/27/11 09:17 PM

Originally Posted By: bullridingaddict
"And you ask Bob after posting this bs!"

What does this even mean?

And bob my bad just seemed like the whole time you were dogging on me when all i did was ask a question

This is a very poor media for conveying "intentions" and "emotions" and they are often perceived wrongly. Bob is a very well respected predator hunter and caller and generally considered a wealth of information on the subject......something that CAN'T be said for every member here. However this topic is something of a "Hot Button" on this board. I as well "saw" something once, but all information I have gathered since that sighting has pointed towards the popular consensus found here...So what did I see? I have no idea anymore. Was it domestic? I don't know. Was it a loosed animal? No idea. Personally, I think it was a Leprachaun, because from what I understand, Leprechaun's do have a melanistic phase. <----Just a joke BTW.

Chupa

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/27/11 09:21 PM

Bottom line! No black panther rofl

Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/27/11 09:29 PM

Next week the saga will continue, it will be about the pink elephants spotted in ........ Stay tuned for farther developments.

Posted By: JCB

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/27/11 09:35 PM

Black Panthers aint real! Now the Boogyman is the real deal though!

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/27/11 11:38 PM

rofl

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/28/11 12:15 AM

popcorn

Posted By: Rustler

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/28/11 12:39 AM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
Next week the saga will continue, it will be about the pink elephants spotted in ........ Stay tuned for farther developments.

Usually what comes next in line after black cats on the "I saw a ____" threads, is bigfoot.

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/28/11 12:42 AM

rofl

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/28/11 12:54 AM

Once again never did i say i saw anything i heard that a group of people saw something they claimed to be a "black panther", i just asked a few questions regaurding how this would be possible, i too am questioning what they saw if you read my origional post you would know this

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/28/11 12:59 AM

I'm serious about the Boogyman part.

Posted By: Capt.Happy

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/28/11 04:17 AM

Are you talking about the Circle Y pasture?

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/28/11 05:03 AM

No other side theres some trees and a pond on it

Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/28/11 05:58 PM

Warning spotted in ......

Posted By: SLT

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/29/11 12:32 AM

I can't help but LMAO when reading this. TY is full of s---! He has been telling this story for years. He always finds someone in his classes that believes him.

Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/29/11 12:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Bob in TX
Quote:
of large cats including mountain lions/cougars

DNS- hammer

Cougars have NO melanistic phase, unlike jaguars and leopards...and thanks for pointing out that cougars are also called panthers...pumas too by the way. That still can't make them black.

Thanks Bob, but do note that I didn't say anything about a "phase" but a variant, of which there is a difference. With that said, you are correct in that there have been no true melanistic variants, but they do occur in a gray color that as you have noted is reaily confused by good folks.

Posted By: woodwzrd1010

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/29/11 02:05 AM

People can say what they want and make fun if they want, but about 3 yrs ago I was taking my Buddy home to NACONA on a rainy afternoon and we spotted what appeared to be a BLACK PANTHER or LARGE CAT of somekind. Me my Buddy, my WIFE and both my Kids saw it. It was about 50 yds away from a Dog that looked like it had just been attacked, and seemed to be heading back to the dog. I had no GUN and no CAMERA. But if you want to call ME MY WIFE, BUDDY AND 2 KIDS ALCOHOLICS AND DOPE HEADS go ahead. I KNOW WHAT WE SAW.

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/29/11 02:23 AM

popcorn

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/29/11 02:30 AM

Ranchman there is not enough popcorn for this one grin

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/29/11 02:33 AM

I seen a Leprechaun one time.

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/29/11 02:47 AM

JCB was that the one we saw riding a unicorn confused2

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/29/11 04:04 AM

Did you read the truth it was in Arizona confused2

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/29/11 04:12 AM

Originally Posted By: BMD
Ranchman there is not enough popcorn for this one grin

Went to town today so supply is up to speed. clap popcorn

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/29/11 04:16 AM

popcorn

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/29/11 04:42 AM

Everyone must be out hunting with a rifle and camera the elusive Black, Dark, or Off Colored Panther tonight. popcorn

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/29/11 04:46 AM

I guess, I ain't doing nothin, just watching tv grin

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/29/11 01:17 PM

DNS-You are correct about the almost grayish tint. In the correct light, it can appear pretty dark.

Bob

Posted By: notamtchance

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/29/11 04:47 PM

Jags, panther, an mt. lions all one in the same just name Different depending on were it is located. Deferent parts of the country call they different things.

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/29/11 05:59 PM

Jaguars and mountain lions are NOT the same thing.

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/29/11 06:20 PM

Originally Posted By: BMD
JCB was that the one we saw riding a unicorn confused2

I forgot about that one. I guess I have seen 2 then.

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/29/11 07:02 PM

rofl

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/29/11 08:35 PM

Jaguars and mountain lions the same thing?

Have you ever even seen a photo of a jaguar of visited a zoo??

roflmao

You must be drinking some really good moonshine this weekend!?!

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/29/11 08:51 PM

popcorn

Posted By: jkmccoy11

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/31/11 12:19 AM

I saw a mountain lion on Saturday night while night hunting. No black panthers though... laugh

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/31/11 12:21 AM

Where u see a mountain lion popcorn

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/31/11 12:22 AM

Saw one while hunting and no dead cat. rofl

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/31/11 12:25 AM

popcorn

Posted By: Believer

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/31/11 01:28 PM

While hunting in Burlington last fall (25 miles East of Temple) w/ thermals we had a lion come strolling by our stand..... my first one...

Land ownder does not permit shooting of yotes, bobcat or mountain lions only pigs..... other wise it would be a tanned hide hanging off the back of the couch.

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/31/11 01:50 PM

bs

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/31/11 01:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Believer
While hunting in Burlington last fall (25 miles East of Temple) w/ thermals we had a lion come strolling by our stand..... my first one...

Land ownder does not permit shooting of yotes, bobcat or mountain lions only pigs..... other wise it would be a tanned hide hanging off the back of the couch.

Sure you did bs

So sick of reading and hearing these stories, ever Joe schmo coming my buddies taxidermy shop has a mountain lion story, started to be worse tha fisherman, this lie has been told so many times people are starting to believe their own lies!

Posted By: Capt. Andrew

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/31/11 02:37 PM

i dont think they are in texas but i have seen one in deep south mexico in the rain forest they hunted it for 5 days after they saw it around the hunting camp and got it two weeks later

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 05/31/11 07:37 PM

There are some cats in Texas but not where some of these guys are claiming.

Posted By: djones

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 06/01/11 01:44 AM

I don't care what anyone says. I got into a mess of black cats and have the pics to prove it.

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 06/01/11 01:46 AM

rofl

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 06/01/11 02:11 AM

clap

Posted By: SLT

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 06/05/11 02:47 AM

rofl

Posted By: Wayne Outdoors

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 06/05/11 06:08 PM

flush

Posted By: FISHUNTER

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 06/05/11 06:39 PM

flehan

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 06/05/11 06:40 PM

roflmao

Posted By: Rockinmyshoe

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 06/05/11 06:43 PM

That's a classic worth framin..

rofl

Posted By: FISHUNTER

Re: Panther spotted in aubrey? - 06/06/11 12:36 AM

Nothing funny about my picture above....as far as I know its the only true real game cam pic of a black panther in Texas. up

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum