Texas Hunting Forum

Yote Calls

Posted By: RunnelsCtyHunter

Yote Calls - 05/07/11 04:37 AM

Hey forum, I am pretty new to varmint calling and bit the bullet and purchased a FoxPro Spitfire a few weeks ago. I went out last weekend and tried some of the 25 calls that came with it, but no luck. I hunt in Runnels County. Anyone have any suggestions where I can download some proven calls. We have a ton of yotes and bobcats out there. Thanks in advance!

Posted By: MaggieMTx

Re: Yote Calls - 05/07/11 03:11 PM

stick with the bird sounds on there for cat & fox, rabbit/jackrabbit distress for coyote.

Re: Yote Calls - 05/07/11 06:34 PM

Good tips, thanks Maggie. I hunt not all that far from ya there in Coleman County by the way.

Posted By: tannerlst

Re: Yote Calls - 05/07/11 07:09 PM

lightnin jack is a good one... called in just about everything with it....

Re: Yote Calls - 05/07/11 08:42 PM

Coon baby distress work well for fox/cat also.

Re: Yote Calls - 05/07/11 10:29 PM

How long typically do you let the call go before trying something different or relocating?

Posted By: SLT

Re: Yote Calls - 05/07/11 11:08 PM

30 to 45 min for me. I wait a little longer for the cats.

Re: Yote Calls - 05/08/11 02:18 AM

also, don't blast the call unless there is some wind. you might have one in closer then you think & don't need to blast it out of the area.

Posted By: J_squared

Re: Yote Calls - 05/08/11 12:29 PM

Hey RCH, that Spitfire come with some proven calls on it. I use handcalls myself but the therory is the same. Start out low in case you have one close. Some like to call for a minute o& then pause. Some like to turn the call on & let it go. I think it more depends on the caller & what you like. I feel the most important part happens before you start to call. Planning where to set up & why. Getting to the stand is also crucial! Many hunts have been ruined on the way to the stand. I heard one pro say "you should approach each set like the coyote has a gun & will shoot you if you are detected"! Scent, movement & noise will all get you detected! A decoy on the set will help focus the predators attention away from you. Before I set out my MOJO Critter the 1st time, IF I had called anything in they saw me before I saw them. A coyote will come in to a sound & then stop at the edge of cover to get a visual on the dying rabbit it has been hearing. For calls, I would suggest searching "bucking the odds" on Youtube. They have over 40 videos that will show you a lot about evrything to do with coyote hunting. Good luck!

Re: Yote Calls - 05/08/11 09:09 PM

You have to remember that when calling, think like the animal (sound) in distress you are playing/calling. If its a rabbit, it won't have 15 minutes of constant squealing in it if its hurt....more like a few seconds here, then a minute or 2 of silences then a few seconds more of distress then silence for a few. You'd be surprised that coyotes & other predators can tell the difference.

Re: Yote Calls - 05/08/11 09:53 PM

GREAT advice everyone. One more questions. . .any particular time of day work best for ya? I have a red light and have not tried at night yet. . .

Re: Yote Calls - 05/09/11 03:55 AM

with it as warm as it has been, night will work great for the red light. early evening also. avoid full moons.

Posted By: J_squared

Re: Yote Calls - 05/09/11 12:29 PM

My best time has been setting up before daybreak just like der hunting! Then wait for enough light to verify a target & start calling. But, I have not been as many times at sunset so the odds are lopsided. I have only went at night a few times & its a whole different ballgame! I need a lot more experience at night. I feel like I am at an extreme disadvantage at night! The coyote can see just fine while I must rely on the light! Don't get me wrong, it happens all the time, some people only hunt at night! I have buddy I am going to try to tag along with this fall to get some night hunting tips! Until then, I be out there to welcome the sun to the day!

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum