Texas Hunting Forum

getting started

Posted By: RedDirt700

getting started - 01/24/11 03:52 AM

I'm looking to get into predator and hog hunting. Can anyone give me advice on things i will need to get or do before i jump in?

Posted By: 10pointdoe

Re: getting started - 01/24/11 03:53 AM

ak-47

Posted By: ffread

Re: getting started - 01/24/11 03:58 AM

Dont need a whole lot at all to hog hunt besides a gun, varmints you will only need camo, gun, and a call those are the only necessities! You can get in as deep as you want and I promise once you start you will not be able to stop. Varmint hunting is about as exciting as you get in my opinion!

If you want a gun to do both I would say an AR in 223 or a 243 rifle!!!

If you have any questions about anything else pm me, I guide varmint hunts on my days off from work, I can share some more info if needed. Good luck.

Posted By:

Re: getting started - 01/24/11 04:04 AM

Originally Posted By: 10pointdoe
ak-47

What the....... WHAT? Man your hardcore!

Anything .17 centerfire and up will do. Get you a turkey/chicken/vulture feather and tie it to a stake with monofilimant, let it flop around in the breeze as a decoy. Get you a couple of hand calls and practice.

My advice, Don't start. Predator hunting is an addiction like no other. Next thing you know your taping over you wedding video with re-runs of Fred Eichler and Jeff Thomason rofl

PM sent

Chupa

Posted By: ffread

Re: getting started - 01/24/11 04:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Chupathingy
Originally Posted By: 10pointdoe
ak-47

What the....... WHAT? Man your hardcore!

Anything .17 centerfire and up will do. Get you a turkey/chicken/vulture feather and tie it to a stake with monofilimant, let it flop around in the breeze as a decoy. Get you a couple of hand calls and practice.

My advice, Don't start. Predator hunting is an addiction like no other. Next thing you know your taping over you wedding video with re-runs of Fred Eichler and Jeff Thomason :r

PM sent

Chupa

agree 100% unless you are in real need of starting a new hobby!

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum