Texas Hunting Forum

Hearing A Lot Of Quail Tonight In Fisher County

Posted By: scalebuster

Hearing A Lot Of Quail Tonight In Fisher County - 05/24/23 11:30 PM

I’m spending the night at a friends farm east of Rotan. I had some business to take care of in Odessa today. Hearing quail from every direction. I hope the rain hits at the right time.

The country was flooded from Snyder to Rotan. It seems like it stopped at the gate to his place east of town. I think his tank only caught a foot of water. It also sounds like the coyotes are making a good crop this year.
Posted By: brownthunder

Re: Hearing A Lot Of Quail Tonight In Fisher County - 05/25/23 03:52 PM

Good news to hear, I sure hope quail make a strong recovery.have seen very few in wichita/wilbarger/ford co the last few years.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Hearing A Lot Of Quail Tonight In Fisher County - 05/25/23 09:57 PM

Talked to a guy in the western panhandle today. They had good rain so far, but 3” and baseball sized hail last night may have put a damper on their birds.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Hearing A Lot Of Quail Tonight In Fisher County - 05/26/23 04:49 PM

Have had a couple of good rains in Dickens over the past few weeks and it's storming there now. Reports of whistling everywhere.
Posted By: Nolanco

Re: Hearing A Lot Of Quail Tonight In Fisher County - 05/28/23 02:26 PM

Very good nest counts this spring at the Rolling Plains Quail Research Foundation ranch just west of Roby.
This is a really swell outfit to support, by the way, if you want wild Texas quail to have a future.
https://www.quailresearch.org/
Posted By: danceswithquail

Re: Hearing A Lot Of Quail Tonight In Fisher County - 06/01/23 12:24 AM

Man I would love to have decent birds in the rolling plains / panhandle this year. South Texas is ok but...
Posted By: Chet

Re: Hearing A Lot Of Quail Tonight In Fisher County - 06/01/23 12:44 AM

Got 13 pups (two litters) going to keep maybe 6 and would give a bunch for some birds to get them started out right. Maybe we get some timely rains this year.
Posted By: tigger

Re: Hearing A Lot Of Quail Tonight In Fisher County - 06/04/23 03:33 PM

My old lease in kent county has had 13 inches in the last month and the place look absolutely beautiful. Hearing lots of quail and whistle counts done saturday were good. I believe a significant rebound is in the works.
Posted By: Revoman

Re: Hearing A Lot Of Quail Tonight In Fisher County - 07/19/23 07:58 PM

I've heard more Bobs this year in Taylor Co than the past 5 years put together.
Posted By: lhare

Re: Hearing A Lot Of Quail Tonight In Fisher County - 07/19/23 08:50 PM

I haven't seen or heard a bird in Northern Archer county in years. Last time we had a covey, they sprayed the wheat fields around me and no more birds.
Posted By: Nolanco

Re: Hearing A Lot Of Quail Tonight In Fisher County - 07/20/23 01:03 AM

We could use a good rinse in Fisher and Nolan counties after this bloody heat ...
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum