Texas Hunting Forum

Jack

Posted By: RayB

Jack - 05/12/23 02:04 PM

Several days ago my boy Jack became very lethargic, and skipped his meal. The next day he was happy self again he ate his Purina One like he was starving. Took him to the vet she said he looked normal watch him for a day or two and will check on him. Monday after a weekend of being lethargic I took him back for blood work. She called and said he was very anemic, would I bring him back for Xrays. Xrays showed a large mass that turned out to be blood in his abdomen and it was caused by a bleeding cancerous tumor. I made the decision he had suffered enough. I miss that littel jackass already. His last night he slept between us. Good bye Jack, you were the best. I thanked God for the time I had him.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Jack - 05/12/23 02:39 PM

What a beautiful boy. Man, I'm familiar with that decision. Sux big-time. He was lucky to have you.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Jack - 05/12/23 05:07 PM

Oh man, I am sorry for your loss. I know it hurt but you did the right thing for him.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Jack - 05/12/23 09:53 PM

Exact same thing happened to us in January. I feel your pain.
Posted By: ElkOne

Re: Jack - 05/12/23 09:55 PM

Good boy Jack, these always bring a tear to my eye
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Jack - 05/14/23 02:53 PM

Sorry for the loss of your Jack. Man’s best friend….
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: Jack - 05/14/23 06:30 PM

Sorry for your loss. You made a tough but right decision.
When I was faced with the same circumstances the vet told me that many people make their decision based on them wanting to spend a little more time with their best friend. That’s often not what is best for your dog.
I feel you pain.
angel
Posted By: Nolanco

Re: Jack - 05/14/23 09:14 PM

Ray. I know just how full your heart is. A few years back, my Brittany, the Watson, started wheezing out of the blue. I watched him and after a few anxious minutes, it passed and he was back to normal, running with younger dogs as if he weren't 11. A couple of days later, I got up to let our three guys out and Watson came back in wheezing, and this time he didn't stop. When his tongue started turning toward the blue spectrum I called the vet and she said to bring him in immediately. One look and she handed me the oxygen and said to give him plenty while she prepped for an X-ray. Wasn't minutes later that she told me, "Bill, he has a large thoracic mass and it is inoperable. What do you want to do?" I kinda let out that maybe we should put him down. She told me it was the right decision. Minutes later, he got the first shot, to put him out, and the second one to stop his heart. Simple. Peaceful. And tough.

Re: Jack - 05/14/23 10:39 PM

When does the guilt go away?
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: Jack - 05/15/23 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by RayB

For me, I don’t think it ever really did. I had to do it twice and it still brings a tear to my eyes even though i know it was the right thing to do.
Posted By: TX_Birddog1L

Re: Jack - 05/15/23 04:36 PM

Sincerely sorry for your loss Ray.
Posted By: Nolanco

Re: Jack - 05/15/23 05:24 PM

Ray, guilt is for those who get the diagnosis but can't bring themselves to let go -- and let their dying dog linger.
Grief is for the big hole in your life, that special place that Jack occupied. One of the best ways to ease it is to bring a new pup home.
Posted By: Stick 711

Re: Jack - 05/16/23 04:04 AM

Ray, no guilt my friend. I know how you treat your pups. Jack was lucky to have you.

Phil
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Jack - 05/16/23 11:33 PM

Not guilt.... grief. I've had to do it twice in the last 10 years and balled like a big ol' baby both times. Like Nolanco said, bring home a new pup. That helps.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Jack - 05/19/23 05:12 PM

R.I.P. Jack.
Posted By: 1955

Re: Jack - 05/19/23 10:25 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Jack - 05/20/23 03:22 AM

No reason to feel guilty. You made the right decision for your animal. Sorry for your loss. I wish they could all stay 5 forever.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Jack - 06/16/23 07:06 PM

Several days ago my boy Jack became very lethargic, and skipped his meal. The next day he was happy self again he ate his Purina One like he was starving. Took him to the vet she said he looked normal watch him for a day or two and will check on him. Monday after a weekend of being lethargic I took him back for blood work. She called and said he was very anemic, would I bring him back for Xrays. Xrays showed a large mass that turned out to be blood in his abdomen and it was caused by a bleeding cancerous tumor. I made the decision he had suffered enough. I miss that littel jackass already. His last night he slept between us. Good bye Jack, you were the best. I thanked God for the time I had him.

[Linked Image]

I know where you are at, was there a few months ago when I had to make the same decision about Sally, cried like a baby
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Jack - 06/17/23 01:07 PM

Sorry for your loss. Same thing happened to my Jake earlier this year.
Posted By: The Bone

Re: Jack - 07/12/23 01:38 PM

R.I.P. Jack..............why can't dog's live until were gone?????
Posted By: Tbar

Re: Jack - 07/12/23 01:45 PM

I know it hurts.

"The only thing I could not protect you from was...Time."
Posted By: slow944

Re: Jack - 08/07/23 04:01 AM

Had to do the same thing in Jan. 22 with our black Lab that had kidney failure at Christmas. I still miss her everyday. I feel your pain.
Posted By: retfuz

Re: Jack - 09/08/23 03:25 PM

I'm old and have gone through your pain too many times. I made sure I was holding or hugging them each time until they no longer needed me. One can never forget such pure love and devotion. When my time comes, I want my buddy beside me.
Posted By: tigger

Re: Jack - 09/08/23 07:19 PM

Pretty dog I feel sorry for you. Just concentrate on all the good times.

Re: Jack - 09/08/23 08:02 PM

Jerry there just wasn't enough of the good times, but I would have felt that way if he had died at 15
Thanks all for the messages
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum