Texas Hunting Forum

S Texas Hunt / Video

Posted By: danceswithquail

S Texas Hunt / Video - 02/10/23 03:16 PM

Hunted last weekend in South Texas. We had predominantly pups to 2.5 year olds on the trip and one 6 year old pointer. Fewer birds than last year by maybe 25%, lot of late hatch birds including a few that still couldn't/wouldn't fly. Vast majority of birds taken were 1st year birds. We had fog both mornings, but scenting seemed off. I am speculating these immature birds with immature glands are not putting off as much scent, but who knows. My 11 month old pointed a rattlesnake (which we didnt know until we started walking away and then it finally started buzzing), and we took it out before the other dog that was coming in got into it. I didn't think she ran right past it until I played it back.
She (liver and white pup) came around the 2nd morning and had some nice finds, some of those points got stolen in the video. Got up to 81 degrees by 1pm the second day and we called it. In a prep workout the weekend before, my 6 year old pulled a hip flexor muscle pretty bad and didn't make the trip, so that was also a big difference from last year. 18 coveys day 1 and 8 the next morning, but half of those 8 were walked into. Covey sizes probably averaged 13-14 birds. Backing and snake breaking will be on tap next fall for me and my buddy! Think I got this thing to load up in 1080p automatically, but click on the settings deal at the bottom and select that if it doesn't so you can see the covey rises. Had more gopro mishaps than I can remember with a messed up mount that had a lot of video of the ground, battery issues, etc but got a fair amount of footage

https://www.youtube.com/embed/R2svAUlxXcg?rel=0&vq=large
Posted By: RayB

Re: S Texas Hunt / Video - 02/10/23 05:31 PM

great video, envious blush
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: S Texas Hunt / Video - 02/10/23 05:51 PM

Same conditions I had last month. And bigger snake than the one my dog had contact with. Glad the outcome was a good one.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: S Texas Hunt / Video - 02/10/23 09:41 PM

up up two thumbs up!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum