Texas Hunting Forum

Browning O/U aficionado’s

Posted By: Shortya

Browning O/U aficionado’s - 01/19/23 11:20 PM

I am looking for an O/U in 20 ga, I have narrowed search to either A) Browning Citori White Lightning or B) Browning Citori 725.

Gun will be used by both my 20 y.o. Daughter (5ft 11in) and I would also like to be able to use it when she is not with me and my 12 ga isn’t needed.

Primarily upland and dove hunting with occasional clays - recreational, not competitive.

Thinking 28 in barrels so it isn’t too big/heavy for her. I am 6ft 7in so gun being too big for me isn’t issue. Actually the opposite could be an issue?

Looking for thoughts and insight from the THF folks that have experience with either…

Thank you in advance!
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Browning O/U aficionado’s - 01/19/23 11:35 PM

I doubt you both have the same LOP. You’ll need to have 2 different shotguns.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Browning O/U aficionado’s - 01/20/23 03:08 AM

Not likely you will both have anywhere near the same Length Of Pull.

Most shotguns will fit Her fine most likely 14"-14.25" LOP but I'd wager you will be more like 14.75".

Drop at comb might be something to consider too.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Browning O/U aficionado’s - 01/20/23 03:18 AM

For your use you could add a slip on recoil pad of your choice, then remove it when your done. I think the Pachmayr Decelerator slip on adds as much as an inch to the length of pull.

Re: Browning O/U aficionado’s - 01/20/23 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Sniper John
For your use you could add a slip on recoil pad of your choice, then remove it when your done. I think the Pachmayr Decelerator slip on adds as much as an inch to the length of pull.

Gun is going to be primarily hers. I would do as you suggest if and when I ever use it.

Thanks for the responses. Appreciate the input.
Posted By: RayB

Re: Browning O/U aficionado’s - 01/20/23 11:32 AM

Citori 725 Feather
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Browning O/U aficionado’s - 01/20/23 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper John

That is what I do for dove hunting with my Feather Lightning 20 ga. That little sucker has a kick when shooting multiple boxes. The limbsaver slip on works great when its warm out but I love the weight of the gun on upland hunts.
Posted By: P_102

Re: Browning O/U aficionado’s - 01/20/23 03:29 PM

Barrel length is good, maybe consider 26” if your amount of upland hunting is greater than the others. +1 on the slip on pad to adjust for fit and also tame recoil if going with a light gun.
Posted By: Nolanco

Re: Browning O/U aficionado’s - 01/20/23 03:40 PM

There's a nice new 20-gauge Citori Hunter with 28-inch barrels at a gunshop here in Sweetwater. Too bad it's four hours from Van Alstyne or your daughter could come and swing it for fit.
Posted By: fredgus

Re: Browning O/U aficionado’s - 01/21/23 03:00 AM

im 6 5 ive always been able to shoot a off the shelf browning my daughter is also 5 11 she can shoot the same gun well look at the bird not the barrel learn to shoot what you have, only takes a few trips around a skeet field, your body and your brain learn what to do, dont start thinking, do your self a favor and get 30 in barrels works really well for some one your size, you think a base ball player your size would pick a 26 or 28 bat of course not you would get a 34 or 36
Posted By: P_102

Re: Browning O/U aficionado’s - 01/21/23 11:23 AM

A persons size has nothing to do with barrel length. Skeet shooters started moving to longer barrels in the early to mid 80’s because they promote follow through. Shorter barrels mount quicker and are more easily maneuvered. Barrel choice should be made based on what the gun is used for.
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: Browning O/U aficionado’s - 01/21/23 04:16 PM

I have had a Citori Lightning 20 gauge for almost 30 years. I hunt with it all the time. 3 inch mag #4 steel will drop a duck as well as any 12 gauge.
Only having two shots, and a little less power/range, makes you a little more disciplined in what shots to take.
Taught several kids to shoot with it. Loaned it to friends of all sizes and they all perform well with it.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Browning O/U aficionado’s - 01/21/23 08:48 PM

[quote=P_102]A persons size has nothing to do with barrel length. Skeet shooters started moving to longer barrels in the early to mid 80’s because they promote follow through. Shorter barrels mount quicker and are more easily maneuvered. Barrel choice should be made based on what the gun is used for. [/quote]

^^^^^

This.

For Quail or upland....the first thing I'm reaching for is my Browning Superposed with 26" barrels.

Actually the same shotgun for Dove (out to 40 yds.)

It mounts and swings so easily.

Re: Browning O/U aficionado’s - 01/24/23 03:25 PM

Thank you for all the replies and PMs. It was a banner weekend. Ended up finding 12 ga/28 inch with 410, 28, & 20 ga barrel inserts for me and a 20ga 26 in White Lightning for her. I love the THF community!
Posted By: Chet

Re: Browning O/U aficionado’s - 01/30/23 10:55 PM

I think those bats are in OZs not inches.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum