Texas Hunting Forum

Opening Weekend Quail

Posted By: nak

Opening Weekend Quail - 10/27/21 06:00 PM

Who's going out this weekend?

It's not looking promising, but we are gonna stick with tradition and hunt public land the first two weekends.

Have dogs down at sunrise, because it will be too hot by 10 or 11 . A little cooler on Sun, but not by much. The next weekend is looking better temp wise.

Gene Howe or Matador....Flip a coin and try one this weekend, the other next weekend.

Did anyone try the Youth Hunt at Matador last weekend? We normally do it, but pulled off this year due to the 90 temps.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Opening Weekend Quail - 10/27/21 06:39 PM

Skipping opening weekend for grandson #1 soccer game. Haven’t even hauled the rv to camp yet. Guess I need to get with the program. Fortunately I have the luxury of hunting the weather, not the day of the week.

Re: Opening Weekend Quail - 10/27/21 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Skipping opening weekend for grandson #1 soccer game. Haven’t even hauled the rv to camp yet. Guess I need to get with the program. Fortunately I have the luxury of hunting the weather, not the day of the week.

Yea, but Opening Weekend is Opening Weekend. It feels like I HAVE to be out there. Since I cannot afford a full season quail lease, that means public lands.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Opening Weekend Quail - 10/28/21 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by nak
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket

Yea, but Opening Weekend is Opening Weekend. It feels like I HAVE to be out there. Since I cannot afford a full season quail lease, that means public lands.

Good luck!
Posted By: gettinbirdie

Re: Opening Weekend Quail - 10/31/21 09:26 PM

I’ve been going to Matador for opening day or weekend for many years. I don’t think I’ve seen the cover look better than it does now! I pulled my hunting trailer( rv- converted cargo trailer) on Friday. Hunted Saturday morning for (34 degrees) for 2 to 2 1/2 hrs, my 2 shorthairs put up 4 coveys. Saturday evening was a bust (88 degrees @ 5 pm).
Hunted 1 hour Sunday morning- put up 2 more coveys then headed home. Wish I had a connection down south, I guess I’ll be spending another season in the Midwest!🤣
GL this season Folks!

Re: Opening Weekend Quail - 11/01/21 04:02 PM

We hunted a couple of hours Saturday morning and Sunday morning. We only had three dogs and two were older, so we did not cover a lot of ground and did not run them when it got hotter.

I'll agree that cover looked good in the pastures we hunted.
It was a bust for us on Saturday morning. Sunday morning was better, but no birds bagged.
Posted By: My Time to Hunt

Re: Opening Weekend Quail - 11/01/21 08:38 PM

I was hearing lots of quail this year up until this past weekend. Never heard a whistle all weekend while we were finishing painting the exterior of the camp house. Mitchell county.
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Opening Weekend Quail - 11/15/21 06:07 PM

Haven't heard a bob white in east Texas in a long time
Posted By: Rche

Re: Opening Weekend Quail - 11/29/21 05:28 PM

Quail have been MIA for some time in Fannin County.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum