Texas Hunting Forum

TPWD Quail Forecast

Posted By: t keith

TPWD Quail Forecast - 09/30/21 11:16 AM

The TPWD annual quail forecast numbers are online. Let's hope the numbers are that low due to dense vegetation. Otherwise, it will be a tough season.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: TPWD Quail Forecast - 10/05/21 03:21 PM

Link:
https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/planning/quail_forecast/forecast/index.phtml

Looks like South is holding up pretty well.
Posted By: leswad

Re: TPWD Quail Forecast - 10/23/21 10:33 AM

Seeing very few coveys in the Albany area. Did the big freeze put the hurt on the population?
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: TPWD Quail Forecast - 10/23/21 01:29 PM

Thanks a bunch for the link. I found this forum while looking tor the forecast.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: TPWD Quail Forecast - 10/23/21 01:58 PM

Not looking good up here. I saw one covey in Fisher county last weekend. 11 birds. I’ll run the new pup next weekend but I’m not expecting much.

Re: TPWD Quail Forecast - 10/23/21 06:15 PM

Just had a call from the owner of my old hunting grounds near East Bernard. He said that. They still had a good number of quail.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: TPWD Quail Forecast - 10/23/21 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Just had a call from the owner of my old hunting grounds near East Bernard. He said that. They still had a good number of quail.

Truchard?

Re: TPWD Quail Forecast - 10/23/21 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Originally Posted by bill oxner

Truchard?

No but same general area.
Posted By: SGL62

Re: TPWD Quail Forecast - 10/23/21 10:22 PM

Guess I need to apologize to the quail hunters in Texas.

3 of us Hunted in the panhandle in 2016. Got to be good friends with the owner and Was so impressed we ended up leasing the place.

The rest is self explanatory.

Have not even hunted in but once since 2016, trying to give them a chance to build back up. Will hunt this year but doubt we will shoot anything. Just need to visit with old friends.
Posted By: Mundo

Re: TPWD Quail Forecast - 10/26/21 08:13 PM

Our Fowlerton numbers be higher than state forecast.
Posted By: gillom

Re: TPWD Quail Forecast - 10/28/21 09:41 PM

Yeah, I don't know how accurate this is. We have more quail in South Runnels than we have had in at least 5 years.
Posted By: bp3

Re: TPWD Quail Forecast - 02/23/22 01:18 AM

I hadn't heard that quail in the rolling plains are having trouble with worms that get into their eyes and another type that get into their stomach. A rancher and professor at Texas Tech has a ranch near Jayton has come up with a medication to combat this and is waiting on approval from feds. has had real good luck on his and neighboring ranch's saying the population has jumped a bunch. Look it up on Goggle about worms in Bob white quail. Quite interesting read.

Re: TPWD Quail Forecast - 02/23/22 04:48 PM

One of my best pastures went to Solar Panels.
Posted By: TWarren

Re: TPWD Quail Forecast - 02/23/22 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by bp3
I hadn't heard that quail in the rolling plains are having trouble with worms that get into their eyes and another type that get into their stomach. A rancher and professor at Texas Tech has a ranch near Jayton has come up with a medication to combat this and is waiting on approval from feds. has had real good luck on his and neighboring ranch's saying the population has jumped a bunch. Look it up on Goggle about worms in Bob white quail. Quite interesting read.

I think you've been living under a rock. He has been beating that dead horse for years.
Posted By: bp3

Re: TPWD Quail Forecast - 02/24/22 02:31 AM

I live in a house with heat,and water and hot water heater. So your saying this is BS,why would he be beating a dead pony. And I forgot I have a garage also.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: TPWD Quail Forecast - 02/24/22 02:42 AM

The eye worm issue is old news, is what TW is referring to I believe.
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: TPWD Quail Forecast - 05/07/22 07:33 PM

Birds are really limited at my place in Dickens county. Saw a covey of about 10 1 x during deer season..

Yesterday saw 5 on my road

We've had less than an inch of rain this year so the place is really dry. Hoping we get some relief or the season for everything will be really poor.

Praying for some moisture soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum