Texas Hunting Forum

Woodcock Hunting East Texas

Posted By: AggieFern

Woodcock Hunting East Texas - 09/17/21 09:37 PM

Hello All

I am new to the bird dog seen I have 2 year old PP that loves to work. I live in Lufkin and I have read about hunting woodcock in the piney woods on this board which seem like a blast to do but I don't know the first thing about it. I know I have about 3 months till the season opener but I kind of want to have a game plan. Any advise or if someone would not mind a tag along to teach the ropes to it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Fern
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Woodcock Hunting East Texas - 09/17/21 10:05 PM

Just take the dogs. They will teach you.
Posted By: kk66

Re: Woodcock Hunting East Texas - 09/17/21 10:21 PM

I’ve never hunted them but flush them a few times a year walking hunting something else. They seem to like wet ground, not swamp itself but wooded cover right on the edge of swamp. I would find a an area like that and let the dog go to work
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Woodcock Hunting East Texas - 09/17/21 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by kk66
I’ve never hunted them but flush them a few times a year walking hunting something else. They seem to like wet ground, not swamp itself but wooded cover right on the edge of swamp. I would find a an area like that and let the dog go to work

Did they flush within shotgun range?
Posted By: RayB

Re: Woodcock Hunting East Texas - 09/17/21 11:17 PM

Jump over to the migratory bird section, there are some WC hunters over there,
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Woodcock Hunting East Texas - 09/18/21 12:22 AM

Off topic but, where did you get your Pudelpointer?
Posted By: booskay

Re: Woodcock Hunting East Texas - 09/18/21 03:56 AM

I"ve always heard that 95% of the woodcock winter within a 100 mile circle of Baton Rouge, La.
Posted By: maximum

Re: Woodcock Hunting East Texas - 09/18/21 05:02 AM

I've only seen 2 in all the years I've hunted
Both just right off from the Neches
They didn't flush right away so I guess they
were as puzzled at seeing me as I was at them
( 2 birds in 2 different areas)

They don't look like there would be much
over a bite per bird
Posted By: machine73

Re: Woodcock Hunting East Texas - 09/18/21 08:17 AM

Sent you a message.
Posted By: AggieFern

Re: Woodcock Hunting East Texas - 09/18/21 02:12 PM

I got my from a breeder in Dallas https://www.northtexaspudelpointers.net/ super nice guy still talk to him
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Woodcock Hunting East Texas - 09/19/21 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by bill oxner

I have a few on my property each fall/winter. I haven't ever hunted them....but just run across them when doing other things. The one's I've seen did not flush until you were almost upon them. They have always been in a wooded area and explode almost straight up. I can't imagine how you'd even get a decent shot at one....they are gone so fast.

They DO prefer areas with moist soil and mixture of mature trees and saplings (at least on my place).
Posted By: kk66

Re: Woodcock Hunting East Texas - 09/21/21 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by bill oxner

Usually right under foot and scared the hell out of me
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum