Texas Hunting Forum

Shipping Pheasant

Posted By: Sauerkraut

Shipping Pheasant - 09/15/21 12:51 PM

Planning a trip to South Dakota for opening day. We are looking at flying up. Have any of you traveled with a cooler of birds in an airplane? Is there a safe and convenient way to get them back to Texas?
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Shipping Pheasant - 09/15/21 01:30 PM

Airlines will take it a baggage as long as it's not packed in dry ice.
Better yet use a sea-a-meal vacuum bag then freeze the birds and wrap in your luggage. A friend comes out from California and takes fish home this way. 3 hour flight, 1 hour to the house and the fish is still frozen. No cooler needed.
Posted By: kindall

Re: Shipping Pheasant - 09/15/21 03:53 PM

You’ll need some insulated shipping boxes. Like said above, clean, vacuum seal and freeze the birds. Check them in as baggage. If your wanting to have them mounted later. Just wrap, and freeze them, instead before boxing.
You never know when there’s gonna be a flight delay, or a
they misplace you luggage for a few hours.. This keeps you from losing the birds. My brother-in-law and sister fly fish back from Alaska this way. It’s a 12 hour flight, and the fish stays frozen.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Shipping Pheasant - 09/15/21 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by kindall
You’ll need some insulated shipping boxes. Like said above, clean, vacuum seal and freeze the birds. Check them in as baggage. If your wanting to have them mounted later. Just wrap, and freeze them, instead before boxing.
You never know when there’s gonna be a flight delay, or a
they misplace you luggage for a few hours.. This keeps you from losing the birds. My brother-in-law and sister fly fish back from Alaska this way. It’s a 12 hour flight, and the fish stays frozen.

Nailed it.
Posted By: Red Pill

Re: Shipping Pheasant - 09/15/21 07:16 PM

When I went several years ago, we froze the cleaned birds, put them in an ice chest and taped it shut.
Posted By: thegrouse

Re: Shipping Pheasant - 09/16/21 12:57 AM

I use a taped up styrofoam cooler with frozen birds.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum